Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been having an issue...I think, with my car basically since I got it 3 months ago. Everything about the car has been great so far, but one thing that concerns me is that whenever I have to drive quickly through the gears, it seems like the RPMs rev up, and I get very little power from it. I mean, I know my 2004 Hyundai Elantra GT isn't the fastest car in the world, but it's to the point where like I'm THAT guy when a light goes green and I am getting in peoples way for a little bit. Once I get up to speed, no problems at all.

Here is a video, it's kind of hard to see when I'm shifting, and when the RPMs are just jumping. I honestly don't know if this is normal for a manual, but I think the fact that I feel almost ZERO pull when I shift to the next gear, and I have to constantly watch that I don't push the accelerator down too hard...isn't normal. If I push it decently far, instead of a steady increase up, it just seems to fly into high RPMs, but not give me much power anyway. I think around 21 seconds in this video, that was one time where I shifted then put the gas pedal down and the RPMs jumped

Possible issue with car? - YouTube

Is this normal or a problem?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Clutch is solid connection between engine to trans input shaft.. engine speeds up and car not increase speed...... clutch is slipping.

Time for clutch.. smell anything burning ?

Clutch disk
Pressure Plate
Release bearing
Resurface flywheel or replacement
2 bottle of Hyundai MTF oil (GL-4, 08950-00020)
Remove restrictor from slave cylinder inlet, flush clutch hydraulic so it new clean fluid

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clutch is solid connection between engine to trans input shaft.. engine speeds up and car not increase speed...... clutch is slipping.

Time for clutch.. smell anything burning ?
I have gotten a few quick whiffs of a strange smell, but only extremely briefly. I really didn't think anything of it.

Sigh, I guess I'll drive on it for a little bit, perhaps bring it to the mechanic to take a look at, and get it replaced in a few months. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Not anything to look at,, you ready for clutch.. get it while the flywheel not been overheated from friction of slipping clutch.. that'll save you maybe $300
not having to buy flywheel if it can just be resurfaced to clean it up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DId you figure out for sure what your issue truly was?
Yup. Slipping clutch. attempting to replace it today with my brother. Wish us luck! haha

I brought it into the mechanic and they were like WOAH, that clutch is seriously slipping!

·
22,793 Posts
@Scottyent: "...one thing that concerns me is that whenever I have to drive quickly through the gears..."

Uh, just how many "whenever's" have you been required to drive quickly through those gears? :rolleyes: Due to signal-light-to-signal-light adventures? :D

Good luck on the install. Take your time and don't rush the job. Otherwise you might see the throw-out bearing laying on the floor and stroke out. I know someone I used to work with that did this. Not the stroke, but left out the throw-out bearing. "Do-Over!"

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i'm quite convinced that adjustment of the pedal and therefor pressure on the clutch bearing is responsible for many failures of the LC accent clutch bearing - a well known issue.

worthwhile to ensure that there is enough pressure on it after replacement to ensure that it isn't walking on the pressure plate like an ass....like what trashed 3 bearings in my accent!

just a thought....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts