Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by my selling dealer today to get a copy of the CarFax that goes along with the car being a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle (CPO). The person I spoke to said that there won't be much on it because it's a new car. It was there for awhile so at some point it went under the used category and the dealer took any rebates/incentives but I bought a new car. It was used as a service loaner before I bought it. Looking at the CarFax, I'm the only person to register the vehicle. Lists 720 miles and sold as a CPO (was actually about 7200 when we signed the deal). Purchase agreement shows used and no options are checked for daily rental, demo, other.

So I called Hyundai USA tonight to get the warranty rundown. I explained the situation and asked if they consider it new or used. They show an in-service date of March 16th 2012 so they consider it used. I was told that if I had paperwork that showed different, I can send it to them so they can update my warranty.

I could visit the person that I spoke to today and see if they can "correct" my purchase agreement. That's pretty much a contract so I don't think that can be done. A buddy that used to be a Hyundai service manager asked me if the title was new or used. New title will usually = a new car. I think my bank will be able to tell me that. He also told me that in this state, if it was a service loaner, it would have to be registered so I could probably argue that the dealer only claimed it as a service loaner to get the rebates/incentives.

Do you think I should pursue this? Not like it will cost me any money. Just a little time and legwork. Or should I let it be? The difference would be 5/60k warranty or 10/100k warranty. I believe that would be better than the CPO warranty.

One note about the hybrid battery warranty, I was told that either way it's 10/100k. I questioned this covering the 2011 model. She looked and said yes, 10/100k. Power control unit, starter/generator and hybrid transmission/traction motor are also covered 10/100k.

And some of you thought this was over after I said it was a done deal a few weeks ago :) So... what do you think?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'd probably just drop it, but I also wouldn't have purchased that car in the first place.

But, if you do want to push it, do it sooner rather than later :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Your sales contract is the legal document in this case. It will solely depend on what's on your sales contract. Have a good look over it. If you have a case for the vehicle being new (and it sounds like you do) then absolutely pursue it otherwise your warranty start date becomes that in-service date. Considering you just bought the car, you've lost almost a whole year of warranty already.

My opinion, pursue it ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
If there is anything deceptive going on here then I would pursue it. And I think the MA Attorney General will want to know, too. He'll set that dealer straight and prevent anyone else from future deceptions.
If it's all on the level then I'd let it drop.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Isn't the CPO warranty already 10/100k

"A 10-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty+ plus the remainder of the 5-Year/60,000-Mile new vehicle limited warranty
A Comprehensive 150-Point* Inspection
10-Year/Unlimited Mileage Roadside Assistance+ & 1st-Day Rental Car reimbursement for covered repairs"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Given the conversation before the purchase, the CPO if mentioned on the sales contract clearly defines that the car was not new.

And Hyundai cannot play games (backwards) with state titles. Hyundai could have some exposure based on the history and paperwork that exists.

It was already a great deal, but if you get retroactively listed as original owner, you are a god.

·
Registered
521 Posts
One more though... You have nothing to gain being listed as the original owner. As mentioned the CPO warranty basically gives you the remaining of the original warranty.

If it were a 2012 and a lifetime hybrid battery warranty were on the line... I might say go for it... but I don't think you have much to gain by fighting for it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Comparing the new car and CPO warranties -

New vehicle coverage - 5 years/60,000 miles
Adjustments - 12/12,000
Paint - 36/36,000
Radio - 36/36,000
CD/DVD Player - 36/36,000

Battery-Origional - 100% within 24 months / Unlimited mileage
25% within 25-36 months/Unlimited milage
Labor covered within 36 months

Powertrain - 10/100,000 for the original owner

Service parts and accessories - 12/12,000

And then the basic emission warranties

CPO -
A 10-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty+ plus the remainder of the 5-Year/60,000-Mile new vehicle limited warranty
A Comprehensive 150-Point* Inspection
10-Year/Unlimited Mileage Roadside Assistance+ & 1st-Day Rental Car reimbursement for covered repairs

I asked about the battery coverage while I was on the phone with Hyundai last night. The woman told me that it's covered for 10 years/100k. I thought that was for the original owner so I asked again and she confirmed 10/100k.

Looking at the above, there isn't a big difference between the new car warranty and CPO. New car warranty does provide some added benefits and would give me some extra time if needed.

Overall I'm not complaining. I got a lot of car for the money. It still had less than 7k miles on it when I first got behind the wheel. Just seems to be a gray area because the car wasn't sold to anyone before I bought it so I'd consider it new and was told that by someone at the dealer. But... because it was there for awhile, they took the rebates/incentives and classified it as used. So new but not new? It would be nice to have the full new car warranty that started from when I drove it off the lot but I won't lose any sleep if that doesn't happen.

Only issue that I'm having is the sunroof creak. I haven't decided if I want to see if the dealer can take care of iT. Don't want to risk finger prints on the headliner.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
OP

I hope the best but you may be in for a shock.

If this car was a service loaner, then it is for sure USED. This should not have even been a question since it would have had a passenger plate/plates on it (DLR plates are not normally put on loaners or demos). If it was plated then it was for sure titled, so its used in the legal sense regardless of the low miles.

That being said, you say that the car was a CPO. If it was Hyundai CPO, then Hyundai would have record of this (dealers have to pay to have the certification process performed) and it would be in Hyundai Corporates records.

Again if this car was truly a service loaner, I doubt it could be CPO'ed anyway.

Most likely, your dealer lied to get the sale. The best you can do is get confirmation from Corp that it does not have CPO status and see if they will work with you (ext warranty through them, money back, etc). But you signed a contract and purchased the car. In most states, you are pretty much stuck. MA could be different but I would be surprised.

Remember, you still have whatever warranty remains on the BTB as well as the hybrid battery warranty. Maybe you can still get an extended warranty online from Hyundai (dealers sell them for reduced costs).

Again I wish you the best...this is not a situation that I would want to be in either.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info! I just called my bank to see if they can view the title and tell me if it had every been titled to anyone else (person or company). They haven't received it from Hyundai yet but she said that she'll be able to tell me that when it arrives. She did tell me that they have the vehicle listed as being used. As far as she knows, even if the car was never sold to anyone, they would consider it used because it is 3 model years old. The mileage could have been and the car still would have been used. I'll call back next week. I'm curious to see what the title says.

My next call was to Jim Morris Associates (JM&A -http://www.jmagroup.com). Hyundai told me that they handle their CPO warranties. They are closed so I'll call back tomorrow. I don't I'll get any info here because I have a friend that is an area manager for them. He said they stopped handling Hyundai CPO warranties last year. Just following the lead to see what they tell me.

And after these two, my last research will probably be with the person that said it was a new car. I'll pretty much just ask if I should have the new car warranty because it was a "new car". I doubt it but, if you don't ask then the answer is definitely no. My CarFax show that it was sold as a CPO vehicle and service paperwork shows that it received the CPO inspection.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Glad you are going about this professionally. Too many times people go off hot-headed and get nowhere.

By the way, I forgot to congratulate you the purchase! Either way you come out, its a great car and you will be happy with it.

And how can I argue with your color choice? Great minds think alike!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you are going about this professionally. Too many times people go off hot-headed and get nowhere.

By the way, I forgot to congratulate you the purchase! Either way you come out, its a great car and you will be happy with it.

And how can I argue with your color choice? Great minds think alike!
Thanks! :beer:

I contacted JM&A today. They confirmed that they no longer service Hyundai warranties. Called Hyundai back and the girl looked into it. She told me that Safeguard now covers the CPO. I called them and confirmed that they have my info on file. I guess this falls under "trust but verify" :)

Time to read the thread that Tom provided above!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts