Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just skimmed through all of the owners manuals that came with the Santa Fe and jeez on the maintenance pretty much everything says take to an authorized dealer. My local dealer is an hour away in a direction we don't travel often(Didn't buy from them). And when we do it's not during business hours. I'm thinking I might of screwed up getting a Hyundai expecting good warranty, as I'm an evil DIY'r. Hoping if I keep good records, if I have trouble in the future that will be good enough.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
If you can do it yourself..do it. Keep the receipts for any warranty
claims. My Sonata has visited the dealer three times in seven years. Routine work is done by me.

·
Banned
358 Posts
Just keep good records. When I blew my first engine in my Hyundai Sonata they wanted all my documents for my oil changes. I went through about 3 dealerships and a jiffy lube for my oil changes and had to get all of my docs and they warrantied my engine replacement. In the end keep a record of your maintenance records.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
All manufacturers are against DIY, obvious $$ reasons. Even if all work done at dealer never assume they will do the right thing when it comes to warranty work. I guess maybe it comes with age with I don't trust anyone to do the job right anymore and inspect everything after work has been performed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am a licensed technician in both cars and trucks. I worked for the gm dealers for 12 years. I have always done my own Maintanance. My last new car I bought was a gm prior to the xl, and what I would do for warranty purposes was make a "CAR IN SHOP" work order and charge parts to it to keep records of my oil changes.

The experiences earned at the dealership level has taught my a few things. Manufacturers can not by law tell you you can't do your own oil changes. They will tell you just keep records of a filter and oil being bought every 3 months and you'll be fine. I'll tell you from first hand experience that they'll use the excuse "we don't know that went into this vehicle or even the date or what the mileage was when it was done, prove it." Then you'll be SOL. What they can't do is stop you from taking it to a oil change place to have it done or do your own brakes etc.

The one thing people tend to overlook is the value of a relationship with the dealer. If you do the regular maintenance with them it's a win win. Not only will your vehicle be properly maintained but the dealer will have made some money and have all your records. This will bode well for you in the event you have a failure outside of the warranty coverage. There will be a higher likelihood that the dealer will offer you a goodwill warranty or at least a 50/50 split. A friend of mine was 15k out of warranty, but had done everything they had suggested since new, chrysler replaced his $5000 transmission free of charge.

As much as it pains me to say it, I just take it to the dealer for the oil/fluid changes. What I won't buy into is all the wallet flushes that are recommended maintanance.

There will be people around here that will tell you " just do it yourself and keep the receipts I've never had a problem" to which my question would be have you ever had a catastrophic engine failure under warranty?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's all fine and dandy if you have a dealer close by, but when they are an hour away and 2 hours away from where my wife works, taking it to a dealer every 3700 miles isn't feasible. I believe if I can maintain over million dollars in farm equipment, that a 30K car shouldn't be an issue.

·
Banned
532 Posts
The one thing people tend to overlook is the value of a relationship with the dealer.
I couldn't agree more.

While I take our vehicles to a friend for brake jobs, etc. the oil changes, tire rotations and alignments are given to the dealer. Sure, I could do some myself, other places cheaper but it boils down to say $350-450.00 more by having a dealer do it. Take 8-10 years of ownership amortize the $450, it's about $1.08 a week, not much. The intrinsic value of a dealer relationship can't be calculated, but when I'm in for a replacement mud guard and the parts guy says "no charge" I don't think it happens to everyone. The bottom line is treat people nice and they might treat you nicer, if they don't at least you feel good about yourself ...... and you can bitch about them a bit.

I'd much rather spend 40-50 minutes talking shop with dealer staff or other customers than behind the vacuum cleaner where my wife would place me.

·
Banned
532 Posts
I believe if I can maintain over million dollars in farm equipment
:shades:......That wouldn't be something green with 16 heads on would it?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
The one thing people tend to overlook is the value of a relationship with the dealer.
i don't socialize with thieves :p

i would say hyundai is the most supportive of a DIY customer base than any other manufacturer today. the service info that is virtually identical to the shop manuals is posted for free on www.hmaservice.com. to my knowledge, weather this be by hyundai directly or not, no other manufacturer does this.

toyota i know used to look the other way when one of their shop manuals ended up on someone's website for free.

GM and chrysler used to sue the crap out of people for this.

i would also argue that hyunai designs their vehicles to be worked on. there is more room under the hood than others, and most parts are easier to get at to replace. sure not all are perfect, but still far better than others. just pop open the hood of an accent and compare with a toyota yaris of nissan versa.

·
Banned
358 Posts
There will be people around here that will tell you " just do it yourself and keep the receipts I've never had a problem" to which my question would be have you ever had a catastrophic engine failure under warranty?
I've had 2 engine failures this year on my Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE and it was replaced under warranty both times. First time was at 28k miles and the second was at 36k miles. I've had done oil changes at 3 different Hyundai dealers and 2 done outside of them and one done by me. I submitted everything and no questions were asked. The first time it blew I had after market midpipe and catback on it when they worked on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i would also argue that hyunai designs their vehicles to be worked on. there is more room under the hood than others, and most parts are easier to get at to replace. sure not all are perfect, but still far better than others. just pop open the hood of an accent and compare with a toyota yaris of nissan versa.
This is why hyundai can offer such long warranties. They have engineered their cars to be easier to work on so that maintenance and warranty work will cost less on their end. The dealers make more $ on maintenance work because its easier then some of the competition and they can charge the same. Hyundai saves on labor for warranty work.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've had 2 engine failures this year on my Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE and it was replaced under warranty both times. First time was at 28k miles and the second was at 36k miles. I've had done oil changes at 3 different Hyundai dealers and 2 done outside of them and one done by me. I submitted everything and no questions were asked. The first time it blew I had after market midpipe and catback on it when they worked on it.
Ok so one out of how many were done by you? If you had done them all yourself I bet it would have been a very different story.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
This is why hyundai can offer such long warranties. They have engineered their cars to be easier to work on so that maintenance and warranty work will cost less on their end. The dealers make more $ on maintenance work because its easier then some of the competition and they can charge the same. Hyundai saves on labor for warranty work.
whatever the reason, i see it as a selling point. if i can fix it easier i'm a very happy customer. its actually the main reason for me wanting to buy another hyundai. all cars need maintenance and i'm not prepared to pay the stealership rates.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agree on the steelership prices, plus all the crap they try to sell you when you really don't need it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What was the cause of the failures? I am sure all Hyundai owners would want to know.

·
Banned
358 Posts
What was the cause of the failures? I am sure all Hyundai owners would want to know.
Well technically Hyundai won't tell you what happened to your motor. The dealerships are not allowed to break down the engines, They have to send it back to Hyundai as-is.

The My first engine locked up and blew a hole threw the top of the engine 250 miles after an oil change. I was driving around 45-55mph and everything locked up and my dash lite up light crazy with all the warning lights.

The second time it blew it destroyed the number 2 cylinder's spark plug, which destroyed the #2 cylinder. I was on my way home and it finally blew a mile from my house. The Sonata 2.0T has a BIG problem with cylinder #2.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts