61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here's the June report on my experience with a 2019 Sonata PHEV
Location Phoenix AZ
Utility SRP
Rate Plan EZ3 Off Peak .0853 Peak .3444 per kWh summer peak rate period

June was a much more gassy month (pun intended) car drove great on the trip. July will probably be all electric, I don’t expect to go to the gas station until 7/31 and then only to top it off for this report. The fact that gas is a lot cheaper in Texas made for the $2.60 a gal average. Since I can’t get columns to line up in text I’ve uploaded a jpeg of the chart.

Is there a way to display an image in the post so you don't have to click on the attached thumbnail to see it?

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
We use ethanol-free fuel for the greater energy content, usually premium. It shows up as a ~7% increase in MPG, nowhere near break-even on cost, but nice because it stretches the refueling interval.

Conversely, it only shows up if you're already getting very high mileage, at least 50 MPG. Any advantage disappears in winter. None of the cars you listed would show an effect in MPG, but perhaps on the dynamometer. But its real.

HAve fun,
Frank
Ethanol free only provides about a 3-4% boost in MPG, not 7.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ethanol.shtml

Premium refers to the octane rating of the fuel, it has nothing to do with ethanol vs not. A higher octane rating does not mean the fuel has more HP. It only means the fuel has the potential to be compressed more before auto igniting. Engines with higher compression ratios CAN produce more HP, but only when floored when the car actually requires peak compression/valve timing.

Moral of the story, If you never floor your car and you don't have a pinging problem, use regular fuel. If you have a turbo or a car with a higher compression ratio, and you like to floor it and think an extra 10 HP will make the world of difference racing to the next red light, then pay for premium.

Bonus: paying for premium will lighten your wallet and therefore your ride, shaving off microseconds from your 0-60 time.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I’m interested in your reasoning for running premium fuel. Prior to my current Sonata I've had Acura's since 1989. (Legend, CL,TL, RDX-soon to be replaced with elec Kona) All wanted Premium fuel. I ran Premium tanks and compared MPG to regular, there was no difference. If they had pinged I would have run Premium, never pinged not even in HOT Az. Since 1989 I never had a car in for anything other than routine maintenance so I can safely say running regular when premium was requested didn’t harm the engine. Actually I lied about only routine maintenance, the CL had a transmission replaced under a recall and the TL & RDX had Takata airbags . . . In all cases Acura gave me a rental. In the case of the Takata airbags it was for 4 months. In the 2 times I’ve pulled into the gas station (so far) it’s been nice to pump regular gas and not feel like I’m cheating. Is there a benefit of higher octane gas that I should be aware of?
You ran regular on your Acura's most of the time without issue? nice! good to know, I hadn't actually met/heard of anyone who had done that. Did the acura's require or only recommend premium?

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/to-save-money-on-gas-stop-buying-premium.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
In the manual, "Gasoline: Premium unleaded gasoline, pump octane number of 91 or higher." Not sure if that's a recommendation or a requirement. :) I think with my 89 Legend XS I started using premium for awhile before I thought it was ridiculous to pay so much extra for gas. That's when I asked around and people told me if it didn't ping I'd be fine with regular. The successive CL Sport and TL Tech I never ran premium. When I got the RDX Turbo which I still have (my wife's car to be replaced early next year with hopefully electric Kona), I ran tests with MPG between premium and regular and found no difference. So I've been running regular in the turbo. I'm sure I'd get from 0 to 60 a few 10ths of a second faster with premium but other than that I've had no trouble running regular. The RDX does require synthetic oil which I do use.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nice data there. You need to drive away from the heat lol... On that note, my hybrid gives me the best MPG of the year when it is hot in the summer. I attribute that to the fuel formulation as well as higher battery charge/discharge efficiency with the heat (of course no cabin heating needed and I used AC sparingly).

Hypermile wise, I'm running around 65 mpg currently which is my all time best about this time last year where I attained 904 miles from a tank commuting to from work (about +50% slow go traffic). Work is a 15 mile trip and I can routinely get 99.9 MPG on the way to work ( driving to slightly lower elevation) and about 55 MPG on the 15 mile trip home...

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
My situation, I bought the Sonata Hybrid for $ savings. I drive about 90% highway. I make my 'hybrid premium' back in less than 2 years and continue to reap the benefits.
Quick update - My HSH has been passed to a family member as a daily driver... and I've been in a Model 3 for a bit over a month now. I really like the Sonata Hybrid... but this car makes $ sense, is more fun to drive, and is suitable for most people's commutes. The downside is that it has less people space vs the Sonata Hybrid and all you read about Tesla paint quality is true... their paint quality is pretty horrible.

With my local gas/electricity costs and my base model 3 (~31k after rebates/credits - off the menu version without the autopilot)... I save $821 per year vs my HSH (40mpg estimated). Since this costs only about 2-3k more than a Sonata Hybrid with the same safety features (I was comparing to Sonata Hybrid Limited with the expected Hyundai dealer discounts)... it'll actually be cheaper than the Sonata after about 3 years.

I also paid $0 for charger... since I charge only with 120V (unless your daily drive is >90mi, you can probably just use 120V). No more oil changes!!!!

Put in your own numbers and see if it makes sense... http://chooseev.com/savings-calculator/

Shameless plug... you can use my referral code to get 1k free miles of charging. Also feel free to msg me if you have any specific questions. https://ts.la/reginald96780

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Quick update - My HSH has been passed to a family member as a daily driver... and I've been in a Model 3 for a bit over a month now. I really like the Sonata Hybrid... but this car makes $ sense, is more fun to drive, and is suitable for most people's commutes. The downside is that it has less people space vs the Sonata Hybrid and all you read about Tesla paint quality is true... their paint quality is pretty horrible.

With my local gas/electricity costs and my base model 3 (~31k after rebates/credits - off the menu version without the autopilot)... I save $821 per year vs my HSH (40mpg estimated). Since this costs only about 2-3k more than a Sonata Hybrid with the same safety features (I was comparing to Sonata Hybrid Limited with the expected Hyundai dealer discounts)... it'll actually be cheaper than the Sonata after about 3 years.

I also paid $0 for charger... since I charge only with 120V (unless your daily drive is >90mi, you can probably just use 120V). No more oil changes!!!!

Put in your own numbers and see if it makes sense... http://chooseev.com/savings-calculator/

Shameless plug... you can use my referral code to get 1k free miles of charging. Also feel free to msg me if you have any specific questions. https://ts.la/reginald96780
Very cool Reg, those Teslas are fantastic. I was wondering if insurance is much more than what you pay for the Sonata? Do you get a full charge via overnight 120V charger? Good luck with it!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I found that the insurance varies a LOT with different providers for the Tesla. Most of them were similar between the Model 3 and the HSH for similar coverage. I ended up changing insurers and I'm now paying LESS for much better coverage vs my HSH.

120V charging for base model gets you about 5-6 miles range per hour. I get about 70 miles each 12hr night which is fine for my drive. I also have a supercharger on my route to/from work so I can go there to charge once in a while if I forget to charge overnight. I have the equipment but haven't yet installed a 240V outlet in my garage yet... that would refill me overnight in about an hour or two.

The Supercharger is what made me get this over the Hyundai/Kia EV's (cheaper, more range vs my base model, and... I am still a big Hyundai/Kia fan). The chargers are fast, cheap, and there are a lot of them around. I can't do a good long road trip with any EV other than the Tesla (even my base model!). You can play out your road trip scenarios using this website https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Very cool!! Once the 240V charger is installed in your garage, you will be all set. It would be a great addition to have an EV car in my household since I already own a solar system, all paid off. Maybe one day...... I have seen some stories about fools, mostly with trucks purposely blocking charging stations to mess with EV owners. I don't understand people these days...Here is a video of one being pulled and even though it's just a test, unfortunately it happens a lot at the charging stations nowadays.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here's the August report. I've gone to 240v but have hit a snag in metering it so I don't have electrical data for the month. It's probably the same as previous months. I thought the charge cable kept track of kWh until you unplug from the wall. Turns out it's when you unplug from the car soooo. Another meter I was looking at isn't really for 2 120v lines it wants 1 hot and 1 neutral, 2 hots will fry it. If anyone has a suggestion I'd love to hear it. In the mean time I'm writing down the kWh per charge when I can remember. :cool: By the way, 240v has taken a full charge from 8 hrs to 2.5 hrs. My typical charge is 26 minutes. Very cool!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok, I've always been math challenged (followed closely by being speling challenged) my Jun Monthly MPG was way off. I've gone to a spreed sheet now, put the math under machine control. Here's the September numbers.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts