Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own a 2011 Sonata Limited 2.0T, produced October 2010 and purchased new in December 2010. In December 2011 (odometer was around 26,000 miles) Check Engine Light (CEL) came on, so I took it to a dealer. Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) was P2562: Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor "A" Circuit, so they performed Hyundai TSB: Exhaust Waste Gate Actuator (EWGA) Inspection and Adjustment. However, right after they did the TSB, another faulty code came on. It was P2565: Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit High, so they replaced the turbo charger assembly and gasket. All of these were covered by warranty.

In November 2013 (odometer was around 72,000 miles) CEL came on again, this time I took it to another dealer. DTC was P2562 again. However this service advisor charged me $130.00 for a diagnostic and $50.00 for the Exhaust Waste Gate Actuator (EWGA) Inspection and Adjustment.

Here is my question. The turbocharger caused CEL and DTC. How come it’s not covered by powertrain warranty? 2011 Owner’s Handbook & Warranty Information booklet says “turbocharger is an engine part” therefore it is covered by 10 years or 100,000 miles powertrain warranty.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No answer, just my experience this week. Got in to drive, and actually thought the accelerator was disconnected from the throttle. The acceleration was that bad! Clearly the turbo was not providing any boost whatsoever.

I assumed the inlet hose popped off, as was a problem in some of the 2011/early 2012 2.0T models (mine is an early 2012). Didn't have time to try and look, so just drove straight over to the dealership that is 1/2 mile from my house.

Today they called to tell me the EWGA needed "adjustment," and this was "considered part of the electrical system, and therefore not covered under powertrain warranties."

I never had a CEL or any error codes. I think I just got scammed out of $60 (total cost for eval and "adjustment."

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
TSBs are not covered by the 10/100K powertrain warranty. Yes it sucks because its the turbo wastegate and it is essential to the engine running.

However, Hyundai's stance on what is considered powertrain is basically anything drives the front wheels (engine, transmission, driveshafts), as well as the internal components that they consist of. Anything that isn't an internal part of these components is covered by the standard 5/60K warranty.

I know this because I tried to get my car covered under the rattling fuel line TSB as a powertrain claim and they denied me. Part was only $11 so I wasn't going to pitch a fit.

@ acct21---$60 is about right if you figure that a diagnosis at most dealers is aroudn $70-100 depending on if they hook you up to the machines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Car all weird after TSB-12-EM-003

Hey,

I just had my 2011 Sonata fixed after having the same problem with the limb mode and they did it to the SPECs of TSB-12-EM-003. Now the car is just all screwed, the accelartion is none existing, the max speed tops at about 120 mph (before I easliy reached over 140) and the kick down has a lack of about 2 seconds to respond and after that is not really doing anything besides creeping...
I'm frustrated, the dealer sad thats normal but holy **** that does not seem normal at all. Has anyone had the same problem after getting their Sonata "fixed" or now a real fix to the whole situation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you have any issues with Hyundai a guy I know on another site posted on ther fb page and twitter and Hyundai took care of him and went further then they had to. Social media can be helpful

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was reading the TSB for the EWGA issue and it stated after bringing the value back into spec, that the ignition must be cycled ON 5 seconds then OFF 5 seconds WITHOUT starting the engine for the correct new value to "adapt".. Could be why some of you still have problems after setting the EWGA rod. :surprise:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have around 79,575 miles on my 2011 2.0T. It has been in the shop multiple times for turbo failure and every time it was due to the waste gate failing. On 10/28/15 I took it in for a waste gate calibration repair again. I picked my car up on 10/29 and took it right back, the problem was not fixed. (I guess they don't test drive after repair) I called the dealer twice between 10/29 and 11/3 for updates because their communication was horrible. I was told on both occasions after adjusting the waste gate it would return to an uncalibrated mode causing the turbo to continue failing. Finally on 11/3/15 the dealer calls me and says I need a new turbo. So it goes from waste gate calibration to needing a new turbo. Anyone out there have any advice? has anyone replaced a turbo on a 2011 sonata 2.0T LE and is it hard?

·
Senior Menmber
2,134 Posts
I have around 79,575 miles on my 2011 2.0T. It has been in the shop multiple times for turbo failure and every time it was due to the waste gate failing. On 10/28/15 I took it in for a waste gate calibration repair again. I picked my car up on 10/29 and took it right back, the problem was not fixed. (I guess they don't test drive after repair) I called the dealer twice between 10/29 and 11/3 for updates because their communication was horrible. I was told on both occasions after adjusting the waste gate it would return to an uncalibrated mode causing the turbo to continue failing. Finally on 11/3/15 the dealer calls me and says I need a new turbo. So it goes from waste gate calibration to needing a new turbo. Anyone out there have any advice? has anyone replaced a turbo on a 2011 sonata 2.0T LE and is it hard?
I think there is a thread that discusses replacement of the turbo. If you try a search you should be able to find it. Is the Turbo covered under the Power Train Warranty?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did anyone ever get a FIX for this problem? Or can anyone point me to a DIY procedure to adjust/check the wastegate actuator? Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Anything oil lubricated (including the turbo) is covered by the powertrain warranty... electronics and control systems are not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
waste gate coverage

is this factual? 88k on my 13 Sante Fe and have a waste gate problem for first time. Dealer is telling me it is under the 5/60k b2b coverage, not powertrain 10/100

they want $187us to fix

·
Registered
860 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Actually the warranty explanation does say the turbo is covered.
I haven't looked into it but if it does say that, it would apply only to the actual turbo unit itself, not the electronic waste-gate module that is attached.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts