Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!
Is anyone experiencing problems with the transmission???? I have a 2003 Tiburon GT that is two years old and I am having probs with the gear box. Anyone got the same problem? Let me know!
THX!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys, im new here, i drive my uncles tibby almost everyday, but enough about that, but when i do drive it like, sometimes shifting from 2nd to 3rd on it is like, idk, it dont seem like it wants to go in 3rd, like there is no 3rd on the gearbox, is that similar to your problem?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Originally posted by tanya@Nov 7 2004, 01:41 AM
Hey there!
Is anyone experiencing problems with the transmission????  I have a 2003 Tiburon GT that is two years old and I am having probs with the gear box.  Anyone got the same problem?  Let me know!
THX!!!!!!
[snapback]2409[/snapback]​

Tanya, you have a car which is covered by one of the world`s best warranties!.
Keep returning it to your Hyundai Dealership & demonstrating the fault until they fix it to your satisfaction!.
N.B. ANY Hyundai Dealer is empowered to do warranty work, not just your supplier
& replacing a transmission is by no means unheard of!.

Contact Hyundai`s Customer Service Department if you have any difficulty.

Cheers,
Nick. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Nov 8 2004, 10:34 PM
ofcourse not, I have replaced amny many gearboxes on Hundi's, not uncommon at all!
[snapback]2479[/snapback]​

I have tested many tiburons and having a comprehensive understanding on software operations it seems as though your tiburon is suffering from a learning curb malfunction. At present I drive an Accent with a learning curb program that adjusts automatically the gear change according to your rev and acceleration range.

Ideally the system seems to have been thrashed by the driver , or someone else and the program has not recovered from the previous time. My suggestion put the car on the diagnostic display with the dealer service technician and make sure you are standing next to them when dianose it for your piece of mind.

If no fault is shown then contact Hyundai, because this fault will not cease unti the software is either reporgramed or a new processing chip installed.

E

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by johnc@Nov 9 2004, 05:39 AM
I have tested many tiburons and having a comprehensive understanding on software operations it seems as though your tiburon is suffering from a learning curb malfunction. At present I drive an Accent with a learning curb program that adjusts automatically the gear change according to your rev and acceleration range. 

Ideally the system seems to have been thrashed by the driver , or someone else and the program has not recovered from the previous time. My suggestion put the car on the diagnostic display with the dealer service technician and make sure you are standing next to them when dianose it for your piece of mind.

If no fault is shown then contact Hyundai, because this fault will not cease unti the software is either reporgramed or a new processing chip installed.
[snapback]2492[/snapback]​

I believe you are refering to "learning curve" and not curb....besides you don't need the specific scan tool to erase the "pre-learned" strategy in auto-trans shift..all you have to do is dis-connect the Battery for more than three minutes re-install the cables for the Battery, start the vehicle, idle for six minutes with ALL electrical loads on, then drive the vehicle and make sure ALL the four forward gears shift a minimum of three times and then force the downshifts a minimum of three times and the Auto Trans Relearning is done.......
Manual transmissions don't have any "chips" in the ECM's.....trans shifting is based on what the driver "thinks" is optimum to change (in a manual trans equipped vehicle)..now going back to the problem of shifting into third ....have the dealer check the clutch engagement system...specifically the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder...have them "bleed" the system...then see if you can get "synthetic gear oil" to go into the transmission...that will help...also please make sure that there are no floor carpets under the clutch pedal to inhibit the full travel of pedal during engagement and dis-engagement....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by FLjdnNUt@Nov 7 2004, 12:20 PM
hey guys, im new here, i drive my uncles tibby almost everyday, but enough about that, but when i do drive it like, sometimes shifting from 2nd to 3rd on it is like, idk, it dont seem like it wants to go in 3rd, like there is no 3rd on the gearbox, is that similar to your problem?
[snapback]2431[/snapback]​

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by tanya@Nov 6 2004, 07:41 PM
Hey there!
Is anyone experiencing problems with the transmission????  I have a 2003 Tiburon GT that is two years old and I am having probs with the gear box.  Anyone got the same problem?  Let me know!
THX!!!!!!
[snapback]2409[/snapback]​

just bought a used 2003 tiburon and i've had it two weeks and it has the same shifting problems. Were your problems fixed?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hey Harpdog!........Tanya started this thread months ago & is unlikely to come back, as she has not responded once to any of the replies.

This happens all too frequently & we shortly will begin deleting such topics, to save people the trouble of replying!.

Regarding your transmission, just take the car to any Hyundai Dealership together with it`s service record & explain the exact fault you are experiencing.........demonstrate it to a tech if necessary & ask them to correct it under warranty.

Cheers,
Nick. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
That gearbox has been my biggest gripe about the Tiburon GT since I bought mine in 2003. Otherwise, I don't really mind any other minor problems I've had with the car, and would likely buy another Tiburon (although I'm waiting for some more horses under the hood).

In the 36K that I have driven so far, I've noticed you have to hit the gears just right, or it acts as if it doesn't want to go into that gear. I've read the gearbox is built by some company in Achi, Japan. I have never owned another 6-speed, so I can't relate, but it does appear to need some fine tuning. Very stubborn sometimes, regardless of how careful you are in depressing and releasing fully on the clutch and carefully moving the shifter.

Wanna hear something shallow? I really would rather of had the auto w/shiftronic, but at the time I purchased my Tibby, the 17" wheels only came with the 6-speed, and the Ultra Sports Package #3 (which included all available options and the 6-speed only) so that is the only reason I have a standard transmission; I was kind of forced into it . :blush:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by FLjdnNUt@Nov 7 2004, 10:20 AM
[snapback]2431[/snapback]​

try to explain this into more detail. Is it a standard or auto-box ????????

·
Registered
422 Posts
Personally i think that all of the problems with the clutches in these V6 tib's are the bloody flywheels and the shitty pull type clutches.

I have been informed by Hyundai training centre that the gearbox (6 speed manual) in the Tib is exactly the same make as the gerbox as in the new Celica, and they never experience any problems!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts