Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I bought a lightly used Sport and it's been in the shop a good portion of my first month of owning it with various issues. The most concerning being the transmission. Just wondering if there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
what specifically is causing issues? the DCT is not like your regular automatic Transmission.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
14 Posts
Once my (2016) Tucson had the software update (May 2017) it has worked very well. Perfect, well that depends on your experience and expirations of the DCT. I’ve driven my car long enough to have a pretty good feel for what the transmission is going to do, dependending on the conditions present. What I really like, is that the DCT left in “Drive” will anticipate the conditions I’m in and shift as needed to maintain performance and RPM levels to handle the load/road conditions. If I’m going downhill and approaching a stop light/sign, it will downshift through the gears on its own to help deceleration. Conversely, it anticipates that I want more power when accelerating, especially on a slight incline and stays in gear longer between shifts. I used to shift manually quite often. However, now that I have more time/experience with the DCT, I tend to leave in in Drive most of the time. Works well for me, but I see how someone could get frustrated easily. Especially if they don’t have a lot of experiencing driving a car with manual transmission. I guess that since I’ve driven manual transmission cars most of my life, my expectations of how the DCT works might not be same as the average driver. Having a ton of fun with my Tucson! Hope you can work out/through the issues you’re having!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Dual Clutch Transmissions are my favorite to drive. I get cranky when I have to drive a slush box. I am very pleased with mine. My only complaint is it shifts during cornering and goes too high in gear for hill climbing. I use manual mode for the hills.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like it so far when it works, but a few times now in highway driving it's starts making a really loud noise and won't accelerate. The check engine light starts flashing. They've changed the flywheel and said if it kept happening that they would probably have to replace the transmission. It happened again and now they're saying they don't have a error history stored in the vehicle and it seems to be driving fine. They also asked if I drove with one foot on the brake and the other on the gas. I felt a bit insulted but I guess they have to ask. (And no my left foot doesn't participate in the driving of an automatic) I've driven manual on most of my vehicles so the feel of the ride is good.... when the check engine light isn't flashing and the car isn't making some gosh awful noise.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I LOVE mine and have since the first day I punched it and felt those millisecond shifts punch me right in the lower back. It races through all seven gears before I can even catch my breath. And not a single shifting or acceleration hiccup over the last 4 years.

Oh, I forgot to mention: the DCT I'm talking about is in a BMW. The ones in Hyundais, KIAs, and Fords suck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like ours! We have also owned multiple manual transmission cars. If you think that the DCT transmission is bad..... don't drive a CVT transmission car ( subaru,honda). At least you can tell that the DCT is shifting! The CVT is like driving a sewing machine, no shifting is ever noticeable and you wind the thing up like a rubber band. Passing another car takes about a clear 1/2 mile of road because the darn things won't shift down to give you more acceleration. Our DCT Tucson is WAY more fun to drive than our subaru ever was!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Another case where brand selection is of paramount importance. Drop by your friendly Lexus dealer sometime, and take a GS450h Hybrid with a CVT for a test drive. You'll quickly and certainly discover Subaru's poor implementation of a CVT was the cause of your dissatisfaction, whereas the Lexus (or any of a number of alternatives) with CVT would have knocked your socks off had you chosen to buy it instead.

It's all in the knowledge we bring to the selection process and the choices we make therein; horses for courses.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
I LOVE mine and have since the first day I punched it and felt those millisecond shifts punch me right in the lower back. It races through all seven gears before I can even catch my breath. And not a single shifting or acceleration hiccup over the last 4 years.

Oh, I forgot to mention: the DCT I'm talking about is in a BMW. The ones in Hyundais, KIAs, and Fords suck.
Better love it while you can...

2018 BMW M5 to Replace its DCT with a Traditional Automatic - BimmerFile

https://jalopnik.com/bmw-m-boss-says-high-powered-automatics-will-even-kill-1794558556

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Another case where brand selection is of paramount importance. Drop by your friendly Lexus dealer sometime, and take a GS450h Hybrid with a CVT for a test drive. You'll quickly and certainly discover Subaru's poor implementation of a CVT was the cause of your dissatisfaction, whereas the Lexus (or any of a number of alternatives) with CVT would have knocked your socks off had you chosen to buy it instead.

It's all in the knowledge we bring to the selection process and the choices we make therein; horses for courses.
For $10,000 more, it better damm well work better than a Hyundai...

Hyundai of Keene - Serving New Hampshire, Vermont and Western Massachusetts, Hyundai dealer with Hyundai for sale, used cars for sale, certified pre-owned cars for sale, Hyundai parts and Hyundai service

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Why do I suddenly feel like I'm watching CNN?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Based on what I have seen here, it seems that the DCT Problems are much more prevalent on the 2016 models than on the 2017's. I really don't see many 2017 owners complaining.

As for me, I bought my 2017 Tucson Night Edition (basically a Sport package) brand new in July of 2017, with about 16 miles on it.
I have about 7,000 on it now, and have not had any issues. I drive it the way I would drive a manual. I don't hammer it while it's switching gears, or off the line, etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Based on what I have seen here, it seems that the DCT Problems are much more prevalent on the 2016 models than on the 2017's. I really don't see many 2017 owners complaining.

As for me, I bought my 2017 Tucson Night Edition (basically a Sport package) brand new in July of 2017, with about 16 miles on it.
I have about 7,000 on it now, and have not had any issues. I drive it the way I would drive a manual. I don't hammer it while it's switching gears, or off the line, etc.
2016 and no complaints since software some 35K+ miles ago. It drives as I would expect a DCT/DSG to drive; especially coming from putting over 250k miles on DSG's in work VW TDI Passat's, not even counting my own personal cars

·
Registered
13,349 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
For $10,000 more, it better damm well work better than a Hyundai...
You're missing the point. Generalizations about any particular technology (i.e. CVT, DCT) must be evaluated against the various implementations of that technology.

For example, GDI engines, IN GENERAL, are gaining a reputation for long-term performance and maintenance headaches due to fouling of the intake manifold and valves by all the crap the feds require be burned. Without the intake cleaned by detergent gasoline, either secondary contaminant extraction or cleaning methods must be employed, adding to the downtime, maintenance expense, and mechanical complexity of running a GDI. To my knowledge, no GDI engine has overcome the basic problem, therefore the generalization is valid. If a GDI fouling solution was simply a matter of applying a different set of engineering choices (with attendant extra cost), such a generalization would NOT be warranted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So yeah...about the dual clutches, anyone else wanting to weigh in on their experiences with the Hyundais?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts