Hyundai Forums banner

Is AGM battery for 2017 Elantra mandatory?

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  reemoe 
#1 ·
Greetings folks, came here hoping to get an honest answer to my question.

So I took my 2017 Elantra Limitted to a tire shop for a bad battery (1st mistake I suppose). They put in a ACDelco 48GHR "flooded" type unit. I didn't know about AGM's at the time, now I'm worried that a AGM was mandatory and this one could cause harm.

It's been in a month so far, do I need to replace it with an AGM type?

#2 ·
Was your original battery AGM?
The battery in my 2017 Tucson is not.
It's mostly cars with start-stop (engine shuts off when you come to a stop) and luxury models loaded with electrical accessories that come with AGM.
If the original was AGM a flooded battery will not hurt the car, but the battery may not last as long as an AGM because it's not being charged in an optimum way.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I didn't notice what the original was, but all my research for the correct replacements points to it having been AGM. Yes, I saw in the specs for the 48GHR, that it is compatibile with your Tucson, but my Elantra is not on that compatibility list.
This AGM business is all new to me, I stumbled on to it while looking under the hood and googling the installed battery. Til now all my cars had been old school. Ignorance is bliss perhaps? :rolleyes:

#4 ·
#6 ·
That Duralast Platinum AGM is the battery I ended up with. Sam's, Wal-Mart did not have an AGM battery for my car and would not sell me a flooded battery. If it was mine I would have the tire shop install the recommended battery and sleep well at night.

#7 ·
They put in a ACDelco 48GHR "flooded" type unit. I didn't know about AGM's at the time, now I'm worried that a AGM was mandatory and this one could cause harm. It's been in a month so far, do I need to replace it with an AGM type?
Even though the flooded battery might be fine, I would consider the car warranty. If something were to go wrong with the electrical system and you brought the car to Hyundai for warranty service would they deny service because of the out-of-spec battery? I don't know, but it seems possible and personally, I wouldn't expose myself to that - just my 2 cents. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.