Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

My SF 2.4 is on it's 2nd oil change now... just hit 12000km/7400miles the other day.

My dealership - Mississauga Honda automatically charges me for a 33 point inspection each time I have taken it in for a service. The car's computer tells me it needs servicing every 6000km/3700 miles.

So apparently I have to spend $121.75 every couple months? This seems a little excessive.

Is the inspection necessary every time I have the oil changed?

Sean Meredith-Jones

·
Registered
615 Posts
They charge you for a multi point inspection?????? It's free at at every dealership I've ever seen. You may want to get your money back! Also, Hyundai recommends that the 2.4 SF gets oil changes every 7500 miles. I'd find another dealership to service my SF if I was you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They charge you for a multi point inspection?????? It's free at at every dealership I've ever seen. You may want to get your money back! Also, Hyundai recommends that the 2.4 SF gets oil changes every 7500 miles. I'd find another dealership to service my SF if I was you.
I haven't looked into the pricing/policies of other local Hyundai dealerships... But you've definitely inspired me to investigate. It just feels like I'm being taken advantage of.

If they charge me for an inspection, and don't find anything... It's like gambling on my part and I'm left with nothing to show for my money.

Sean Meredith-Jones

·
Registered
213 Posts
We have 2 Hyundai dealerships around here and one charges $33.95 and the other one charges $19.95 for oil changes. Guess where I go.
Safety checks are usually free, they are checking for items to repair, so they can charge you more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have 2 Hyundai dealerships around here and one charges $33.95 and the other one charges $19.95 for oil changes. Guess where I go.
Safety checks are usually free, they are checking for items to repair, so they can charge you more.
Just the oil (synthetic) I'm being charged $45 for. Yesterday, I asked for just the oil change. They said my tires needed to be rotated... Ok fine... I thought.

When I looked on the bill, the tire rotation was extra... and they charged me for the inspection as well... even though it was inspected 2 months ago and the car was bought 5.5 months ago.

I don't mind being loyal to a dealership for service... But after dealing with a wonderful mechanic prior to this car who only charged for what was needed... I feel they are not acting in my best interests.

I intend to go back to the dept today and take it up with them.

Sean Meredith-Jones

·
Registered
23 Posts
they are ripping you off. please re-read what i just said. they are ripping you off.

first, any inspection should be free as anything that they find wrong will be covered under warranty anyway on your brand new car. they will be compensated by hyundai for any and all repairs.

second, the owners manual clearly states what the recommended service intervals are. it says right in the manual what you should do, when you should do it and what you should look for. please re-read what i just wrote.

third, please note that your dealership and all dealerships do not make much money on the sale of vehicles. dealerships make the most money from the service department and financing.

you are getting ripped off.

they are taking advantage of you.

dealerships throw out these mileage inspections notices like they are fishing for business.

uninformed people like you (with all due respect), believe that if the dealership says you need something it must be needed.

they are ripping you off.

please re-read my entire post again and then find a new dealership. if you can't find a new dealership then please read your owners manual and service you vehicle as the manufacturer states in the owners manual.

do you now understand that they are ripping you off?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi all,

My SF 2.4 is on it's 2nd oil change now... just hit 12000km/7400miles the other day.

My dealership - Mississauga Honda automatically charges me for a 33 point inspection each time I have taken it in for a service. The car's computer tells me it needs servicing every 6000km/3700 miles.

So apparently I have to spend $121.75 every couple months? This seems a little excessive.

Is the inspection necessary every time I have the oil changed?

Sean Meredith-Jones
That is ridiculous:eek:

However there have been many posts regarding the cost of ownership for Hyundai products. This is due in the most part to the dealers that feel gouging the customer is the way of life. I have a 2010 SF LTD V6. When I go into my local dealer here they charge me $44.00 for an oil change and that includes the 34 point inspection. When I went in for my 48k inspection they wanted $500! I told them to forget it. I sent a letter to Hyundai and complained about the pricing for this warranty work. (post in the 2010 SF forum) I also sent them a complete copy of the work they were going to perform for that price. They were going to bleed the brake lines, change the spark plugs and even drain and replace the engine coolant? :confused:
Anyone knows that this is ridiculous at 30,000 miles. I received an email back from Hyundai indicating that they have no control over their dealers in regards to what they feel is necessary for warranty maintenance? They went on to say that in order to maintain my warranty the maintenance detailed in the owners manual must be followed. So I did just that and the cost was $60 at the dealer in Michigan which is just across the bridge here in the Soo.
I also go there for my oil changes now as they charge $29 and that includes a written 34 point inspection as well as a car wash! :)
It is unfortunate that Hyundai does not govern what theri dealers are doing in the field as this can make or break a good relationship with the customer. At first I thought that this type of service was limited to Hyundai but now I hear that some of my friends with GM, Honda, Ford etc are all having the same problems.
Bottom line here is follow the maintenance schedule outlined in your manual and your warranty will be protected. Keep all of the receipts and detail your maintenance records should you intend to use another service outlet for the performed work. In the event of a failed part then the dealer is a must and it should be no charge to you.
I am lucky here as I just have to cross the bridge and visit the dealer in Michigan which is a considerable cost saving and the dealer there is really nice. Free coffee, popcorn and a very relaxing waiting area for the customer. The dealer here on this side is still back in the fifties and the coffee is out of a machine for $1.00! :(
If you have an option of other dealers check them out.;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would suggest that you try Hyundai of Oakville the next time you require service.
It maybe a good idea to call or email them first to obtain a price.

Just an idea.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Yikes. Outrageous. Was the Vaseline free ?? :eek:

Most dealers do stuff like that for "free" during routine visits.
Look for another dealer.

I'm thinking about checking out my local Kia dealer for service because the Hyundai dealer has been a big dissapointment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok.... I went to the service dealer and had a chat. I admit... I'm a newb when it comes to car maintenance... I haven't dealt with a dealership for years as I previously had a Honday Crv that lasted me almost 400,000 km.... and a very kind personal mechanic who only charged me what was necessary... and in some instances gave me free oil changes!

Anywhoo...

The first oil check was $75.95... as I went with synthetic oil. I joined the loyalty program as well... which cost another few $ to join. The inspection is actually free... I didn't understand the invoice so my mistake. So my first bill at 6000km was (with 13% tax) $120 or so,

Second Oil change at 12,000km.... oil change + brake inspection, tire rotation, tire pressure adjustment.... $121.95 + disposal fee + taxes = $140 or so.

When I brought up the issue of oil change frequency... he showed me a service manual that said every 6000km. The owners manual isn't entirely clear on the frequency... but does include the oil change item on each service every 12,000 km.... so this is still questionable practice.

If I follow the service schedule that he gave me... at 24,000 I can expect to pay $256.95 for oil change, lube, emission service, brake service, tire rotation, tire pressure, all lights checked, balancing front wheels, lube all doors and hinges.

So my questions at this point:

1) Why does my car alert me to services every 6000km? Does the dealer program that in... or the factory?
2) Do I void the warranty if I go elsewhere for service/maintenance?
3) Do I void the warranty if I go every 12,000km for an oil change or service?
4) Do I need to use synthetic oil?

Thank you muchly!

Sean Meredith-Jones

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they are ripping you off. please re-read what i just said. they are ripping you off.

first, any inspection should be free as anything that they find wrong will be covered under warranty anyway on your brand new car. they will be compensated by hyundai for any and all repairs.

second, the owners manual clearly states what the recommended service intervals are. it says right in the manual what you should do, when you should do it and what you should look for. please re-read what i just wrote.

third, please note that your dealership and all dealerships do not make much money on the sale of vehicles. dealerships make the most money from the service department and financing.

you are getting ripped off.

they are taking advantage of you.

dealerships throw out these mileage inspections notices like they are fishing for business.

uninformed people like you (with all due respect), believe that if the dealership says you need something it must be needed.

please re-read my entire post again and then find a new dealership. if you can't find a new dealership then please read your owners manual and service you vehicle as the manufacturer states in the owners manual.

do you now understand that they are ripping you off?
Consider me the un-informed on a journey to becoming informed!

As in my previous post... the 33point inspections are free... it's just that the oil change with synthetic oil is costing me $80 per change... and at 12,000 km.... they did a fuel system service, brake inspection, tire rotation, and tire pressure adjustment as per their "service schedule".

Sean Meredith-Jones

·
Registered
335 Posts

1) Why does my car alert me to services every 6000km? Does the dealer program that in... or the factory?

Thank you muchly!

Sean Meredith-Jones
1) Exactly.
2) No.
3) If manual says you can go 12,000km, then you are fine.
4) No.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ok.... I went to the service dealer and had a chat. I admit... I'm a newb when it comes to car maintenance... I haven't dealt with a dealership for years as I previously had a Honday Crv that lasted me almost 400,000 km.... and a very kind personal mechanic who only charged me what was necessary... and in some instances gave me free oil changes!

Anywhoo...

The first oil check was $75.95... as I went with synthetic oil. I joined the loyalty program as well... which cost another few $ to join. The inspection is actually free... I didn't understand the invoice so my mistake. So my first bill at 6000km was (with 13% tax) $120 or so,

Second Oil change at 12,000km.... oil change + brake inspection, tire rotation, tire pressure adjustment.... $121.95 + disposal fee + taxes = $140 or so.

When I brought up the issue of oil change frequency... he showed me a service manual that said every 6000km. The owners manual isn't entirely clear on the frequency... but does include the oil change item on each service every 12,000 km.... so this is still questionable practice.

If I follow the service schedule that he gave me... at 24,000 I can expect to pay $256.95 for oil change, lube, emission service, brake service, tire rotation, tire pressure, all lights checked, balancing front wheels, lube all doors and hinges.

Thank you muchly!

Sean Meredith-Jones
1) The dealer can set it so can you.
2) keep all your bills, have them state on the invoice serviced as per OEM
3) Careful with this one read the fine print your driving might fall under the severe service level check the guidelines follow them for service.
4) No,,,But is it better, if you toe or are a hard driver in 80+ heat with A/C on etc it is a better designed product

Many good service locations outside of the dealer, word of mouth works well if you find a good one and trust them stick with them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That is ridiculous:eek:

However there have been many posts regarding the cost of ownership for Hyundai products. This is due in the most part to the dealers that feel gouging the customer is the way of life. I have a 2010 SF LTD V6. When I go into my local dealer here they charge me $44.00 for an oil change and that includes the 34 point inspection. When I went in for my 48k inspection they wanted $500! I told them to forget it. I sent a letter to Hyundai and complained about the pricing for this warranty work. (post in the 2010 SF forum) I also sent them a complete copy of the work they were going to perform for that price. They were going to bleed the brake lines, change the spark plugs and even drain and replace the engine coolant? :confused:
for 500 that is a great deal !! seriously ,
its a big job to replace your plugs , flush the brake fluid , coolant
the coolant is a green coolant , not a 5 or 7 year long life coolant

your coolant needs to be replaced at 48000 and your plugs are only due around 100000 or 120000

·
Registered
615 Posts
This is why it's VERY important to read your owners manual! The vehicles maintenance intervals and what they need are all in there. A LOT of dealerships are stuck in an old school car maintenance mind set. PLEASE read the manual and save yourself money and headaches! You may even teach the dealership a thing or two.

·
Registered
362 Posts
for 500 that is a great deal !! seriously ,
its a big job to replace your plugs , flush the brake fluid , coolant
the coolant is a green coolant , not a 5 or 7 year long life coolant

your coolant needs to be replaced at 48000 and your plugs are only due around 100000 or 120000
If you check the manual you will see that none of the above are required:confused: This is a blatent rip off by the local dealer! I realise that it is all labour intensive however it is not required at 30, 000 miles.:mad:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
An oil change, rotate at our dealer can be $29.99 with a coupon. Synthetic oil every 12,000km is fine, but there oil is too expensive, I would personally buy it on special at a auto parts store.

$256 something for all you listed is usually 150-160 at Hyundai dealers.

Go elsewhere for service.

ask them to match these coupons for you... oil change for $21.

http://www.hyundaiofnewportrichey.com/Specials/service

1 - 20 of 46 Posts