Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ImageUploadedByAG Free1378300209.075194.jpg I checked my engine oil before and after warming the car, the oil level in the picture is what I got,in my understanding, it's way above F (full) line, my dealer did the oil change for me and I brought in a 5.1 quart Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I remember correctly that before this oil change, my last one was above F level. I am wondering what about you guys ? Should I go to dealership and tell them to suck it out some ? Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Mine takes exactly 5 quarts (not the 5+ quart jug) to get right at the top marker on the dip stick.

It almost looks like there is old oil and new oil on that dipstick or its a light trick. Also it takes me a couple in and out of the dipstick with wiping it off to make sure I get a good read. Sometimes you can flip the dipstick over and its a clean line where the other side is all smudged.

·
Registered
729 Posts
+1 on the above. I put 5qts in on all my oil changes and it reaches just to the full mark. Easier than dealing with the 4.86qt crap. But again, I used 5 quarts...not a 5+ quart bottle.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is your picture of the cold before or the hot after? You should always check the level cold and as someone else stated always pull out the stick and wipe it off, then put it back in and pull it out for you're reading.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Dealers are bad about putting too much oil in the engine. Regardless of it being your oil or the oil they provide. You are in your rights to have them adjust the level. When my Sonata was new and I checked the oil for the 1st time it was exactly on the full mark. That is where it should be when the dealer does the oil change but seldom will this be the finding. If the oil is only a little over I let it go, if over filled too much they suck it out.

Bob

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Looks like somebody missed an oil change or 2,, there is "stuff" deposited on the stick.. good sign oil changes missed or run long..

I refill to put oil well on stick, start for 20 seconds, shut off, walk long way around car, check level, and add accordingly to place level on the "F" mark.. dont matter to me what the oil count is, as long as it on the "F" mark when customer receives car. Never know if customer going to check the work.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
I strongly suspect not all of the old oil was drained out. A little over the Full mark is probably OK. A lot over the Full mark should be rectified because that can cause foaming and the engine won't be properly lubricated.

You are not going to feel comfortable until you get the oil level where it should be so I would suggest you get the dealer to deal with it.

Since it is virtually impossible to take the oil plug out without making a monumental mess you might consider loosening up the oil filter and let it drain out a little. If still insufficient, remove it entirely and pour it out until the proper amount is drained out. Reinstall it. Then carefully "bump" the starter go get the oil flowing and you should probably be OK. It probably won't make much difference because I strongly suspect a majority of oil filters are screwed on without any oil in them and they quickly fill when the engine is started. When I changed my oil in the past I would fill the oil filter and carefully clean everything so no gunk dripped into the oil filter and then screw it on. That virtually eliminates any chance of the engine not being oiled properly. The truth is that it really makes very little difference because there is still a film of oil on the bearing surfaces and the amount of time without the oil pump pumping the oil to the engine is miniscule. Watch the oil light and it should go off within 2-4 seconds or so.

I have found in the past that if the car is tilted backwards virtually all of the oil will be drained out. And then when I put in a full five quarts it almost always came right to the full mark. That's why I believe not all the old oil had drained out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Looks like somebody missed an oil change or 2,, there is "stuff" deposited on the stick.. good sign oil changes missed or run long..

I refill to put oil well on stick, start for 20 seconds, shut off, walk long way around car, check level, and add accordingly to place level on the "F" mark.. dont matter to me what the oil count is, as long as it on the "F" mark when customer receives car. Never know if customer going to check the work.
sbr711 is 'A Good Boy'. We need more like him. Actually so does Hyundai.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts