Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ipod Nano hooked up to the 2010 Santa Fe Sport. It only plays 335 of the 700 i have on there and it's always the same 335 songs...Is this all the stock stereo can do?

I am using the apple USB cord that came with the Ipod to connect it...getting a different cord, will that help? it's a little frustrating because i really don't want to go out and get another stereo put in.

thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
As far as i know you have to use the Hyndai Ipod cable to connect it.
The regular Apple one does not work correctly.

I think they are about $30 or so...

Andrew

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not a Santa Fe owner, but we had to purchase the "special" cable from Hyundai to make ours work. We paid $37.50 for it...kind of messed up if you ask me :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get the Hyundai iPod cable. Not only will you be able to play all the songs, you will have full navigation from the stereo console plus steering wheel. Playlists, browse by artist, album etc. With the cable you are using now, the stereo just recognizes the iPod as a mass storage device. You can also just plug in a standard USB memory stick in the port with mp3 files on it. That works ok as well, but it can only see one level of folders, no nested subfolders. This may be why half your songs are missing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (jdehls @ May 16 2010, 09:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323541
Get the Hyundai iPod cable. Not only will you be able to play all the songs, you will have full navigation from the stereo console plus steering wheel. Playlists, browse by artist, album etc. With the cable you are using now, the stereo just recognizes the iPod as a mass storage device. You can also just plug in a standard USB memory stick in the port with mp3 files on it. That works ok as well, but it can only see one level of folders, no nested subfolders. This may be why half your songs are missing.
I had folders arranged in a "tree" structure three levels deep. ALL the music was accessible by folder and playable from an 8GB flash-drive. This was on a 2011 Sonata GLS so they probably improved the capabilities of the radio over time.

I learned that using the flash-drive was too limiting and found an 8GB Gen2 iPod Nano in decent shape on CraigsList at a fair price ($40). That turned out to be only a slightly higher price than an equivalent flash-drive. However, it offers several significant benefits, including:
  • There's no delay waiting for the music to load when switching to AUX. With a flash-drive there's a delay of about 15 sec.
  • Music can be selected on the radio and played by Playlist, Artist, Album, Genre, and the other categories created in iTunes.
  • The music can be readily selected and synced using iTunes. Separate folders, as on a flash-drive, don't have to be organized and maintained.
  • Music can be searched in iTunes for inclusion in playlists, or for editing the tags.
  • Shuffle can be selected on the iPod so the RDM function on the radio doesn't have to be turned back on every time that AUX is reselected.
  • Since it's used with an iPod cable it fully integrates with the radio and display.
The bottom line is that using an iPod is the only way I want to go. Experience has taught that flash-drive's are too much trouble, and they're too limiting in what they offer - unless one is satisfied with essentially a "bit-bucket" for music.

An iPod, especially one that's used or refurbished, is a small cost for big returns in music organization and selection.

Note that I also have an iPod Touch, and another Nano. However, I wanted a Nano dedicated to music for the road, and one that could just be left connected in the car. This one is small and black so it blends in perfectly.

Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (jdehls @ May 16 2010, 09:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323541
I had folders arranged in a "tree" structure three levels deep. ALL the music was accessible by folder and playable from an 8GB flash-drive. This was on a 2011 Sonata GLS so they probably improved the capabilities of the radio over time.

I learned that using the flash-drive was too limiting and found an 8GB Gen2 iPod Nano in decent shape on CraigsList at a fair price ($40). That turned out to be only a slightly higher price than an equivalent flash-drive. However, it offers several significant benefits, including:
  • There's no delay waiting for the music to load when switching to AUX. With a flash-drive there's a delay of about 15 sec.
  • Music can be selected on the radio and played by Playlist, Artist, Album, Genre, and the other categories created in iTunes.
  • The music can be readily selected and synced using iTunes. Separate folders, as on a flash-drive, don't have to be organized and maintained.
  • Music can be searched in iTunes for inclusion in playlists, or for editing the tags.
  • Shuffle can be selected on the iPod so the RDM function on the radio doesn't have to be turned back on every time that AUX is reselected.
  • Since it's used with an iPod cable it fully integrates with the radio and display.
The bottom line is that using an iPod is the only way I want to go. Experience has taught that flash-drive's are too much trouble, and they're too limiting in what they offer - unless one is satisfied with essentially a "bit-bucket" for music.

An iPod, especially one that's used or refurbished, is a small cost for big returns in music organization and selection.

Note that I also have an iPod Touch, and another Nano. However, I wanted a Nano dedicated to music for the road, and one that could just be left connected in the car. This one is small and black so it blends in perfectly.

Tim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi have a new 2010 i30. Trying to access some of the 2500+ songs on my ipod has driven me to distraction. When connected with the apple cable it automatically selectged only about 50 of my songs. Now I like those songs, but I am a bit sick of hearing them now. So does this mean that the only way to be able to listen to the other songs is to use the dedicated Hyundai cable? I had a few extras thrown in but the cheapskates wouldn't add the cable

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (Oshitim @ May 16 2010, 10:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323574

Tim
Can you explain how to access the songs on the ipod by artist? I just got the Hyundai cable but can't seem to find anyway to search the songs by any of the categories.

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (jamesdak @ Jun 5 2010, 08:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330135
Can you explain how to access the songs on the ipod by artist? I just got the Hyundai cable but can't seem to find anyway to search the songs by any of the categories.
With your Ipod connected, press the menu button once...now, rotate the File knob beside the menu button and view the various sub menus.

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (CanuckGLS @ Jun 6 2010, 01:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330332
With your Ipod connected, press the menu button once...now, rotate the File knob beside the menu button and view the various sub menus.
I have an iPod Touch 3G and a 2010 Santa Fe AWD Sport. I purchased the iPod cable and I can play music and see the top level menus using the menu and file buttons. I can even see my iPod's name show up on the screen. My problem is I do not have full control of the iPod. I cannot select any playlist or Artist or Album as there are no lists under the menus except ALL or No file in some cases. I tried pressing various buttons at that point (file/menu/next track) but nothing seems to work. I do have 5078 songs on my Touch. Could this be the problem? Anyone else have a similar situation? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (denisd @ Jun 14 2010, 06:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333006
I have an iPod Touch 3G and a 2010 Santa Fe AWD Sport. I purchased the iPod cable and I can play music and see the top level menus using the menu and file buttons. I can even see my iPod's name show up on the screen. My problem is I do not have full control of the iPod. I cannot select any playlist or Artist or Album as there are no lists under the menus except ALL or No file in some cases. I tried pressing various buttons at that point (file/menu/next track) but nothing seems to work. I do have 5078 songs on my Touch. Could this be the problem? Anyone else have a similar situation? Thanks in advance.
Ok I used an iTunes Library manager and created a smaller library with less than 100 songs and no personal playlists. I erased all 5000+ songs on my Touch and replaced them with contents of the small library and I still have the same problem. This means that my problem is not related to size or number of songs/playlist/items but rather a compatibility issue between the Santa Fe's firmware with the iPod Touch or its software :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased the cable and it worked great until I tried accessing podcasts. They don't show up on the radio display. I can only access music library. Has anyone had similar experience? I've sent an email to Hyundai Customer Assistance but who knows how long that will take. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (denisd @ Jun 16 2010, 07:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333609
Ok I used an iTunes Library manager and created a smaller library with less than 100 songs and no personal playlists. I erased all 5000+ songs on my Touch and replaced them with contents of the small library and I still have the same problem. This means that my problem is not related to size or number of songs/playlist/items but rather a compatibility issue between the Santa Fe's firmware with the iPod Touch or its software :(
Update: Tried out a borrowed 5th generation Nano 16GB and it worked perfectly. Go figure!

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (denisd @ Jun 21 2010, 07:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335065
Update: Tried out a borrowed 5th generation Nano 16GB and it worked perfectly. Go figure!
Another update: Last week I installed iTunes 9.2 and now my Ipod Touch 64GB works in my 2010 Santa Fe Sport. Strange. Then today iTunes installed the new OS 4 for the iPod and everything still works. As mentioned before by another poster, I do experience very slow response scanning through my 5000+ songs/artists/albums etc. but the Playlists, of which I have about 30 work quite nicely. So I will make up a few more playlists of my favorite driving tunes. I'm happy now!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my SF yesterday and hooked up my Ipod with the Ipod USB cable. The display on the stereo was various letters and numbers and not what was on my Ipod. I had no idea who the artist was or anything else. Do I need the Hyundai cable to correctly have my Ipod information diplayed?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts