Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to pick up a used 30GB 5th Gen iPod Classic with a cracked screen for a $30. Other than the cracked screen, the unit works great. I was thinking of getting this, loading some music on it and leaving it permanently connected to my Sonata.

Can anyone tell me a reason why this wouldn't work? Is there any reason I need to be able to see the screen on the iPod? Like I said, all the buttons and everything work OK, just not the screen.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be an option. I use an old iPod Mini that I just leave in the car, and I can't remember the last time I even looked at the screen on that thing.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yeah, go for it. Once you're plugged in everyhting is done from the NAV screen. Sounds like a good idea to me.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Dec 5 2010, 11:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377092
I have an opportunity to pick up a used 30GB 5th Gen iPod Classic with a cracked screen for a $30. Other than the cracked screen, the unit works great. I was thinking of getting this, loading some music on it and leaving it permanently connected to my Sonata.

Can anyone tell me a reason why this wouldn't work? Is there any reason I need to be able to see the screen on the iPod? Like I said, all the buttons and everything work OK, just not the screen.

go for it!... i got a 120 gig ipod and its almost full :-\ i dont know how much music you have but I think i dont fall in the "norm" catagory

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I haven't tried this on my Sonata but on my 2010 Tucson (which should have the same features). I have an extra ipod that I wanted to do the same thing with but if I left the ipod on and turned the car off it would not stop playing. So when I returned to the car the ipod battery would be dead and it would not be on the same song where it left off. I don't care about the battery being dead it will recharge once I start, but it would have to find the last song I was on. If you don't touch the ipod when you exit the car what does your ipod do? Power off, pause...

·
Registered
123 Posts
i don't see why it would be a problem. the car will be the screen. and if the only damage is that the screen is DOA, then yeah. but if the cracked screen is damaging any other internal part there could be a problem. but if you can use itunes to manage the ipod, you should be able to use the car to play said content

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you do this, just wanted to point out a weird bug that apparently my dealer can't troubleshoot. If you leave the iPod connected, but turn off the radio and then turn off the car, the next time you turn the car on you'll be met with nice, loud static. Only... it's not the radio. Changing the volume rocker doesn't make it louder or softer, and hitting the power button will... turn ON your iPod.
o_O

Hitting it again will return you to silence.

So, the dealer tried it with his iPod connected and got the same result. He tried it with a few other Sonatas of varying trims on the lot and got the same result. He tried it with other Hyundai models and got the same result. So... his conclusion is that the device is somehow causing interference and Hyundai doesn't have an official statement on the matter.

It's annoying, but I can live with it. Just wanted to let you know of this potential poltergeist.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts