Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I bought a 2010 Tucson in February. I realize that this is a Sonata forum but I there is not nearly as much activity in the 2010 Tucson forum and since both offers similar Ipod connections, I am hoping to get some feedback. BTW - mine is black with the saddle leather interior and I love the car. I owned a 2007 Sonata Limited for several years previously and found it to be a great car.

In the 2010 Tucson, the Ipod integration is pretty good, but I've got two issues:

1) If I park the car and leave it off for several hours (or overnight), when I start my car again the Ipod's battery is effectively drained (verified by unplugging the Ipod and not being able to turn it on). Subsequently, after a few seconds I end up seeing the Ipod completely boot and then the stereo (non-Nav equipped) starts playing song 1 of 4437. Ugghh.... Now, my Ipod is indeed old. Bought this 60GB Ipod in 2005 and yes, it does have a brand new battery that I put into it right before I bought the car. You might start thinking that my Ipod or its battery is nevertheless defective, but that is not the case. If I take the Ipod out of the car and set it to play every song it lasts almost 20 hours before the battery dies. I then charge the Ipod up again, let it play for another 20 hours 'til it dies, and so on and so forth. I am finding difficult to believe that the problem is with my Ipod. I did not have this issue in my Sonata with the Pioneer stereo I put into it that was Ipod equipped. With that, if I turned the radio off, left the car for a few days, and then started the car, the radio would start playing that song on the Ipod I was previously listening to at the exact spot it stopped when I turned the radio off.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

2) I have a lot of albums on my Ipod and I almost always listen to my music by choosing an album. Scrolling through the albums via the knob on the stereo is time consuming when you have over a hundred albums. Plus, if you turn the knob too fast then the radio simply doesn't even register you turning the knob, so you must deliberately scroll slow. Is there any way to scroll faster or skip 10 albums at a time or something?

Thanks!
Alex

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I had the same problem on my 09 Sonata with my Zune and a USB and the thing that i figured out was that when you get out of the car and lock the car doors, somehow the power goes on and stays on. What I do now is unplug the Ipod and lock it and then in the morning I just plug it back in and good to go.

·
Registered
932 Posts
On the Sonata, there is a somewhat related TSB 10-01-017. I don't know if there is a similar one on the Tuscon.

On some 2011 model year Sonata vehicles, the accessory power may remain on after
the vehicle is shifted into Park and the ignition key or start/stop button is turned off. If
the vehicle has been parked for several hours, the battery may be discharged.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Actually, I just thought about this some more. The TSB I posted wouldn't have any thing to do with it. What I think is happening, because I remember it from the only time I used my iPod in the car, the iPod actually continues to play. It doesn't stop when you turn off the car. I didn't leave mine in the car, but it was still drained at the end of the day as it kept playing in my pocket. You might try switching to the radio before you turn the car off to see if that helps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The only problem I have is also turning the knob alot because of all the songs and albums that I have... If I want to get to lets say "S" I have to turn the knob for quite a long time just to get to it.. Other than that I got into the habit of always turning my ipod off when im not using it so I dont really have a problem with the battery..

·
Registered
123 Posts
i have noticed with my 11 sonata that when i turn the car off, the ipod goes from the "Hyundai" log to the "main menu" of the ipod with the track paused. from there after a given time the ipod automatically shuts off. i have an 80gig 5th gen ipod, the color video/pix one right before the itouch came out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (psuath @ Apr 23 2010, 02:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316052
i have noticed with my 11 sonata that when i turn the car off, the ipod goes from the "Hyundai" log to the "main menu" of the ipod with the track paused. from there after a given time the ipod automatically shuts off. i have an 80gig 5th gen ipod, the color video/pix one right before the itouch came out.
Same for me..
I have the same Gen Ipod as you too

·
Registered
932 Posts
Mine is the touch. Like I said, I only used it once then switched to USB.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Apr 23 2010, 11:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316062
Mine is the touch. Like I said, I only used it once then switched to USB.
Think that the touch draws more power than the iPod connector puts toward it. All iPhones, iPods and iPads can be charged with the same USB to 30pin connector, but iPad and 3GS will take longer to charge from some power supplies than others. I know if I charge my iPad with the old iPod connector it will take almost twice as long to charge than if I plug it in with the one that came with my iPad.

Not that you want to invest in another iPod, but if you went to a non-touch model, I'm sure you would be fine. I have the video nano and it works flawlessly.

Cheers.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (Ayces @ Apr 23 2010, 05:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316133
Think that the touch draws more power than the iPod connector puts toward it. All iPhones, iPods and iPads can be charged with the same USB to 30pin connector, but iPad and 3GS will take longer to charge from some power supplies than others. I know if I charge my iPad with the old iPod connector it will take almost twice as long to charge than if I plug it in with the one that came with my iPad.

Not that you want to invest in another iPod, but if you went to a non-touch model, I'm sure you would be fine. I have the video nano and it works flawlessly.

Cheers.
I was only pointing out that I had the touch because of possible differences in the way it functioned when disconnected. I prefer to use the USB because I can leave it in the car without worrying about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the 5th gen 60GB Ipod. So, I can say for sure that this affects at least my Ipod which is neither an iPhone or Ipod Touch.

Over the weekend I found that the Ipod does go into PAUSE mode after the vehicle is turned off. So, I am not sure why the battery in the Ipod is still being drained. In any event, I found that if I turned the Ipod off (I think by holding down the PLAY/PAUSE button until the screen went black) that the Ipod's battery was not drained when I started the car again several hours later or even the next day. Even better, when I pressed CD/AUX on the stereo, the same album/song started playing exactly where it left off previously.

Maybe this is the only solution. I wish I did not have to manually turn the Ipod off, but at least there is a relatively simple workaround.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been trying to find more information on this for a little while. I have the issue and am frustrated by reading that some people saying that it isn't an issue for them, however I do not know for sure if they are leaving the iPod in the car plugged in at all times.

I have 2010 Hyundai Sonata and 5G iPod (30GB Video)

I love the interface and the sound I get with the iPod cable and stock stereo interface.

I prefer to have my iPod in the car at all times tucked away in the console, and only remove it when I need to add/remove music or playlists, which isn't often. I get intermittent issues with the iPod coming on and starting at the first song alphabetically when I start the car. I then unplug the iPod and notice the battery is drained. I have a long commute and when I get to work there is now a decent charge (3/4 full) to the iPod. I brought the iPod into work and it seemed to go into sleep mode and hold the charge all day.

I can confirm this happens even if I do not have the iPod playing when I turn the car off, in fact some days I won't even switch over to the iPod. When working properly "iPod" is illuminated on the stereo indicating it is being recognized, however it will not switch over to it unless I manually hit the AUX button.

I just found this disclaimer on a Hundai Accessories website:

Features:
The iPod cable charges the iPod’s battery when the vehicles key is on. The iPod may not turn off with the key, so confirm the iPod is off to avoid battery drain on the iPod.

Pretty disappointing, since I am not always listening to my iPod, it can be interrupting and annoying.

I tested a couple times and it seems the iPod goes into sleep mode sometimes, but I haven't seemed to check the times it is dead. I have found a couple different things relating to opening the door while the key is on accessory, locking the door can trigger it, rolling windows up, or turning off the lights after the key is pulled. Can anyone confirm?

Luckily the sports radio is heating up for this Cub fan/bandwagon Blackhawks fan/Bulls (when MJ played) fan, Lebron come to Chicago and prove to Bulls fans you will be better than Jordan!

Once the Cubs are out of the race, I will need my iPod functioning properly!

Go Cubs!

·
Registered
6 Posts
while we are talking I pods is the compartment on the passenger side specifically to put your I pod into. The cord is just long enough and it tucks away quite nicely. You cant do anything with the screen anyway and it seems to make sense.

·
Banned
630 Posts
to answer the OP's question the ipod's battery is being drained because once the car is shutoff, it disconnects from ipod but the ipod is still turned on...you must manually shut it off or else the battery will drain

1 - 14 of 14 Posts