Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:| So my iPhone 3GS works flawlessly with the official Hyundai cable through the system. My iPad won't work at all. "This assessory no worky with iPad" or something. The stereo refers to it as an 'iPod' and attempts to load but nothing ever happens.

I can only make it work via a generic cable that lacks the usb piece. But that's not optimum for certain situations.

Since it's the same pin connectors, and the iPad is basically a big iPhone - what gives? Can anyone venture to guys why this cable won't work with the iPad?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Actually, I'd be surprised if it did work with the iPad.
That the cable looks similar is irrelevant really. Look at all the different devices and configurations that exist for the different USB or HDMI cables, for example.
Keep in mind iPad is still very new and has appeared on the market after the vehicle. The iPad will have more of an operating system than an iPod, which is more of a storage device with some standardized playability software on it.

Maybe Hyundai will come out with a firmware update that will work with it, but I wouldn't expect it. A better bet might be a down=loadable app for the iPad, or a setting, that may let it communicate.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I expect it to work with the iPad. It should. Is my whole car stereo going to be useless when the next iPhone comes out also? That's not acceptable. I read a post from a Genesis owner that it doesn't work in there either. Which is particularily bad because Genesis buyers get a free iPad.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (Meagain @ May 2 2010, 03:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318741
Well, I expect it to work with the iPad. It should. Is my whole car stereo going to be useless when the next iPhone comes out also? That's not acceptable. I read a post from a Genesis owner that it doesn't work in there either. Which is particularily bad because Genesis buyers get a free iPad.
Isn't planned obsolescence part of every high-tech gadget? I've got a box full of old cell phones, palm pilots and other gadgets that still work on their own but are useless in the modern world.

Hyundai is giving away an iPad with every new Equus, however they have not promised compatibility with any other model. Hyundai has, however, published a list of cell phones which it has tested for compatibility with its bluetooth system.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the fact of the matter is iPads aren't working with the Hyundai cord and from what I'm reading - it pertains to all their cars.

Unless another similar type cable would work - such as the 2nd cable here http://www.radtech.us/Products/CablesIpod.aspx - then this indeed sucks.

My big problem is that I've yet to understand HOW the Hyundai Cable works. Then I can figure out why it's not working with the iPad. I.e.; I don't know what in the cable is blocking me from seeing iTunes stuff on the iPhone when it's plugged in. The USB section or 3.5mm section, or if there's some 'chip' in the plug area itself.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If there is a work-around or a patch available to make it work, it would probably more likely be found on an iPad forum.
Good luck...I think you're going to need it!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't find anyone with Hyundais there. I'll figure it out. Will just buy another cable. I need a longer one anyway. Though it would help if I could get info from Hyundai as to what is going on with their cable guts.
I wonder if the USB port doesn't have the higher power required and once it senses this - blocks it. IDK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts