Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we need to change the inverter coolant like the engine coolant after a certain period or miles?

DIY or stealership only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I'm interested in seeing what the reply's will be with this one. Other than those dealer trained would know the answer but considering you have metal parts, fluids, and possible stray currents I would think yes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I believe you change it the first time at 120,000 miles and then every 30,000 miles there after. At least that is what my 2016 manual says.

I'm not sure how you would get the air out of the system if you changed the fluid yourself. I believe if you do a search, you will find where the one tech that posts here on occasion hooks up the Hyundai computer to run the system to get the air out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can see purging air being an issue. In a few threads I read about low fluid that was noticed early in the life of the vehicle must have trapped air that purged through normal use then add to be at correct level.

Just thought about this needing to be changed at some point as I’m getting ready to change the engine coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
The car just got back home. So I took a look at the system. There is a pump in my 2016 that runs on 12 volts to circulate the the coolant. I guess if you know the pin-out of the plug, you could run the pump with an external 12 volt source. The dealership would just connect their Hyundai computer to turn the pump on.

Anyhow, it's not something I plan to do myself.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Considering the relatively low temperature of the unit I don't think air pockets would be an issue not like in the petrol engine so my guess is they just add a specific amount of coolant. Hope someone that's in the know comes forward with the right answers.
There is a Kia utube clip showing the topup so I assume you drain it by a tap or hose removal then top up just like the engine coolant.

·
Registered
475 Posts
It all makes complete sense to me. Whether it is for the motor or anything else, a cooling system is going to have to displace the air with coolant. There are typically several areas that air can be trapped, even when circulation happens. So, it is for sure the best for this to make the system/pump run and circulate the fluid to drive the air out and then be able to top up. You most likely CAN'T or SHOULDN'T just drain and fill.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Inverter coolant is maintain item too.. when drain and refill, Hyundai has tab in software management for coolant pump run to circulate and you add coolant to keep full,, the actuation runs a 3 minute cycle,, I usually run 2 cycles

If run low on coolant, hybrid will act stupid

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Make very well sure that whoever does a radiator drain & fill knows what they doing... I got stuck with 1 wrote up as WARRANTY for drive concern..

Got to looking, and inverter bottle was empty... History on ticket says the "Quick Lube Kids" (yes, kids changing oil and other routine stuff, besides recalls they aint qualified to do) did a coolant service a few days ago..... they manage to find inverter system drain and empty it along with radiator, and only fill radiator..

Reactions: phftw

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oops... Does the car send any warning message? How does 'the stupid action 'look like? Hybrid inverters are very expensive.
DoE did some benchmarks on 2011 HSH until the inverter damaged. Then they found inverter is more expensive than the whole car and had to stop their experiments.

·
Registered
15 Posts
20,000 mile Hybrid 2017 SE

Just got a "Refill inverter cooler" message.

Was in for service not too long ago and looks like it wasn't topped off. Anyone refill this themselves? If so, what product did you use? Calling the dealership tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Yes, at least in my hybrid it is changed on the same schedule as the engine. Much smaller capacity obviously.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I received an message the other day informing me to refill the inverter fluid. I dropped by the dealer and they topped it off for free. It was a dark green fluid unlike the neon yellow/green stuff I’ve used in older cars. In my 2016 Sonata Hybrid the reservoir was on the front right side fo the engine compartment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts