Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a trunk light that seems to work only half the time.... maybe less. It is a 2013 elantra limited and i have brought it to the dealership and had them look at it and was told that it worked for them every time.... would having stuff in the trunk cause an issue, possibly they emptied it out and i keep stuff in it? anyone have a wiring schematic or know where or how the switch operates? any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

(also was intermittent with stock bulbs and replaced with the exledusa 6k LED's and still same issue... should i take that out as well and put stock light back in when going to the dealership incase they try to blame it on the LED? can they?)

·
22,788 Posts
No explanation I can come up with. Trunk opens, bulb illuminates. There is no mercury-style switch to go bad. Rule that out.

Does it not come on as soon as the trunk opens? Or, do you discover it out after the trunk lid has been open for several minutes? There is an energy saving auto-shutoff in the lamp circuitry.

Adding/removing items from your trunk should have absolutely NO effect upon the bulbs performance. I wouldn't remove the LED and install the OEM bulb just to take it to the dealer. I have two 12-LED strings under the trunk deck. But I've also not had any problems with the feature, either. Is the bulb making good contact inside the housing on that copper strip that it is connected to? Road bumps can jar things loose if not properly secured. and they can make the conncetion work again, until another jarring moment sets it off again. "Connections!" I'd suspect those first, since you say there are intermittent pass/fail moments. Check the bulb to make sure it's tightly secured. And, by all means, make sure the connector is firmly pushed into the lamp assembly.

I suspect a loose connection at one of these two points.

By all means, look over the electrical schematic. But I recommend staying away from trying to fix something like this. If sparktricity is involved, and you enter that realm, you may have more added grief than you or your wallet can endure if the dealer can prove you have been in there tweaking stuff. Not a good omen!

Check these out and let us know. We'll go from there. Okay?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No explanation I can come up with. Trunk opens, bulb illuminates. There is no mercury-style switch to go bad. Rule that out.

Does it not come on as soon as the trunk opens? Or, do you discover it out after the trunk lid has been open for several minutes? There is an energy saving auto-shutoff in the lamp circuitry.

Adding/removing items from your trunk should have absolutely NO effect upon the bulbs performance. I wouldn't remove the LED and install the OEM bulb just to take it to the dealer. I have two 12-LED strings under the trunk deck. But I've also not had any problems with the feature, either. Is the bulb making good contact inside the housing on that copper strip that it is connected to? Road bumps can jar things loose if not properly secured. and they can make the conncetion work again, until another jarring moment sets it off again. "Connections!" I'd suspect those first, since you say there are intermittent pass/fail moments. Check the bulb to make sure it's tightly secured. And, by all means, make sure the connector is firmly pushed into the lamp assembly.

I suspect a loose connection at one of these two points.

By all means, look over the electrical schematic. But I recommend staying away from trying to fix something like this. If sparktricity is involved, and you enter that realm, you may have more added grief than you or your wallet can endure if the dealer can prove you have been in there tweaking stuff. Not a good omen!

Check these out and let us know. We'll go from there. Okay?

Thanks for the response, it does not illuminate when i open the trunk lid and it will stay off, either i open it with the light on or it will be off. i have checked the connection and puled it several times and seems when i put the light back up it will sometimes work if it wasn't before. When i check the bulb everything is still in place though and the connector looks well pushed in.... The ground is in the harness correct and not with the body frame how the trunk light you can short out if you are not careful?

i thought there would be a switch or sensor that says if the trunk is open to turn on the light? i thought thats how it knows when the trunk is open like how the door lights work? or does it have to deal with all the rods in the upper part of the trunk? its going to go into the dealership but im tired of being told there is no problem when the light should illuminate with the trunk open... seeing if i could just pinpoint it myself first.

Thank you for the reply and help

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was with Louiceman yesterday working on the car (Thank you again for all the help) installed some neat stuff with the exterior lighting and the trunk light made me look like a liar as well just as it did at the dealership..... decides to work around people who know about lighting and could possibly find the problem haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I have a ghost in my trunk too.
Same exact thing happening here. Did you find a remedy for this?

Anyone know if there is a switch in there? I can't seem to find one..
:confused:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I have a ghost in my trunk too.
Same exact thing happening here. Did you find a remedy for this?

Anyone know if there is a switch in there? I can't seem to find one..
:confused:
Haha no… the dealer said they tightened up the harness and still does this... they thought I was crazy and making it up the first time I took it in for this issue and said the trunk light responded like normal but when I got home the light would keep doing it until I took out my phone to record it in action but to my amazement :eek: :eek: it would start working when I had my phone recording when I popped the trunk haha

I had to start recording after the trunk was ready open with no light and I showed the dealer and they said “adjusted and tightened harness” but it still acts up on me :mellow:

No idea haha I noticed it seems to happen less if the car is unlocked rather than locked when you pop the trunk though.

Keep me updated on what you find

·
Registered
343 Posts
In one of my previous cars (Mazda, I think) the switch seemed to be in the trunk latch. I could turn off the light by closing the latch when the trunk was open. Maybe a little WD along with working the latch a bit would solve the problem.

Geoff

·
Registered
14 Posts
In one of my previous cars (Mazda, I think) the switch seemed to be in the trunk latch. I could turn off the light by closing the latch when the trunk was open. Maybe a little WD along with working the latch a bit would solve the problem.

Geoff
This is what I was thinking. If I can find it maybe its a sticky issue and a little WD would do the trick!
Funny thing, I go to work and its dark outside. Pop the trunk and no light. I get to work and sun is up and my trunk light works.
Geez:mad:

·
Registered
622 Posts
i have a trunk light that seems to work only half the time.... maybe less. It is a 2013 elantra limited and i have brought it to the dealership and had them look at it and was told that it worked for them every time.... would having stuff in the trunk cause an issue, possibly they emptied it out and i keep stuff in it? anyone have a wiring schematic or know where or how the switch operates? any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

(also was intermittent with stock bulbs and replaced with the exledusa 6k LED's and still same issue... should i take that out as well and put stock light back in when going to the dealership incase they try to blame it on the LED? can they?)
When it decides to malfunction again, see if the "trunk open" indicator lights up in the inst cluster. If it's not lit on the cluster and not lighting up in the trunk, then it could be a bad trunk latch/wiring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You have a 3 way light switch that controls the function of your cabin lights.

In some cars this universal switch is integrated to the main cabin light in the center of the cabin ceiling. In my 2013 Elantra LTD it is just below my map lights just above and center to the windshield . . .

The 3 positions are:
1) Constant OFF
2) Auto / According to Door open or closed
3) Constant ON regardless of door position.

Sit in the car's driver seat at night and drop one of your rear seats so you can clearly see the function of the trunk light. With the car running? and with the car not running? observe the trunk light function in each of the 3 light switch positions.
Get out of the car and open the trunk and close the trunk . . . if you want to learn more.

Do you see how the lights operate ? I hope this lasts you a lifetime.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You have a 3 way light switch that controls the function of your cabin lights.

In some cars this universal switch is integrated to the main cabin light in the center of the cabin ceiling. In my 2013 Elantra LTD it is just below my map lights just above and center to the windshield . . .

The 3 positions are:
1) Constant OFF
2) Auto / According to Door open or closed
3) Constant ON regardless of door position.

Sit in the car's driver seat at night and drop one of your rear seats so you can clearly see the function of the trunk light. With the car running? and with the car not running? observe the trunk light function in each of the 3 light switch positions.
Get out of the car and open the trunk and close the trunk . . . if you want to learn more.

Do you see how the lights operate ? I hope this lasts you a lifetime.
For me this is not useful as this is not an operational issue.

OkieRich, I gotta tell you. Your comment may have been the answer for me at least is seems so for now -- "Check the bulb to make sure it's tightly secured. And, by all means, make sure the connector is firmly pushed into the lamp assembly.
I suspect a loose connection at one of these two points."

So when I came home tonight, I took time to really inspect my bulb connector again. So I took the fuse out. Took the LED out. Moved the contact points closer reinstalled my LED. Put the fuse back in and its working each and every time I opened so far. I'll know for sure over time but I suspect that it could be (for me) loose/improper contact.

Like you said OkieRich, bumps on the road could have been responsible.
Thanks for the good basic advice that I should have checked more closely! ;)

·
22,788 Posts
My pleasure, sir. You're more than welcome! Look up "Occum's Razor!" I live by this rule. Made my life so much simpler with issues like this AND generally, most others.

BTW, I got this smart (debatable, actually) by screwing up a lot of stuff over the past 64 years. But I always tried to learn from my mistakes. "Tried," is the operative word, here! :grin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
My pleasure, sir. You're more than welcome! Look up "Occum's Razor!" I live by this rule. Made my life so much simpler with issues like this AND generally, most others.

BTW, I got this smart (debatable, actually) by screwing up a lot of stuff over the past 64 years. But I always tried to learn from my mistakes. "Tried," is the operative word, here! :grin:

I am very familiar with Occam's (Ockham's) razor. It is a rudimentary rule in my profession. You'd think I'd apply it here but after all day at work, you just at times expect things to well just work or work themselves out!
Your posts are always encouraging and filled with wisdom... well some are!! Some are funny too!! Each day we live we hope to add and share lessons!
That is what I love about this forum -- especially your 64 years of lessons shared!!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Emma's BCM (Body Control Module) has a ghost in it that will occasionally put the dome lights on strike. It acts as though the car is in transit mode as the lights will not come on at all unless the key is on....it's the damndest thing and always fixes itself.

·
22,788 Posts
Ingrid has the ghost as well. Twice in 3 days, after the initial LED mods. Quickly seems to return to normal. I've sluffed it off as "Oh, Well..." Been okay since. (Prob not work tonight since I bragged on it!)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Trunk Light

Had my car into the dealer 4 times for a intermitant trunk proximity lock issue. Turned out to be a broken wire inside the trunk wiring loom. They sliced the loom open and found it. They could not find out why sometimes the feature worked and sometimes did not. Simple fix! They thought my LED trunk lights were to blame.

·
22,788 Posts
The Big Dog hunts, again! :wink2: Nice find!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had my car into the dealer 4 times for a intermitant trunk proximity lock issue. Turned out to be a broken wire inside the trunk wiring loom. They sliced the loom open and found it. They could not find out why sometimes the feature worked and sometimes did not. Simple fix! They thought my LED trunk lights were to blame.
This was a lock issue, not a light issue? A broken wire caused a intermittent... interesting unless just was making partial contact but led lights to blame for a lock issue? Dealership still hasn’t figured out my problem...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Wire

This was a lock issue, not a light issue? A broken wire caused a intermittent... interesting unless just was making partial contact but led lights to blame for a lock issue?

Your issue could be similar to mine. A broken wire in the bundle for the lighting circuit could be the cause for the trunk lighting working intermitantly. My broken wire involved the proximity lock feature. The dealer suggesting my trunk LED lights was somehow involved was just coincidental.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts