Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Periodically my 96 Elantra idles rough. I've never had any codes but have replaced; fuel pump, filter, injectors, TPS, transmission mounts, plug wires, plugs, fuel pressure regulator and many unrelated items. 90% of the time it runs fine but after driving for 10 or 15 miles there's always a chance it'll stumble for a few seconds with a corresponding loss of power. I have the shop manual and have researched this problem as much as I can. My list of possible root causes is now down to: cam chain (which I can't find out anything about in my Haynes or Shop Manual), MAF loose connection or needs to be cleaned, EGR, clogged cataylitic converter. I am just baffled especially by the absence of codes. When this problem starts it'll persist for a while and I have to raise the rpm's to 2,000 to start from a stop. Any help would be appreciated greatly. :(

·
Registered
626 Posts
Try resetting the ECU; costs nothing and often solves idling problems. Pull the fuse in the engine compartment (same one that does the alarm, if fitted, and radio), press brake pedal, leave for 10 minutes, refit fuse. See if it solves it.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Not a problem with the Cam chain or it would run bad all the time. MAF I've found to be pretty sturdy unless you cleaned it with carb cleaner... I got a drawer full of them, they all work. Take off your EGR and clean it good, but that's not the problem either. Could be your CAT is clogged. You'll know that because the CAT will get almost RED hot, while the flexpipe after will be relatively cooler.

Does it stumble while you sit at a light? Or when you go down the road? Could be a purge valve stumble you describe. Did you try disconnecting the purge valve from the vacuum line and blocking it off the side to the intake?

I've found my Elantra doesn't produce codes often times. Sometimes it does.

You live in Wyoming? Any chance the vehicle in question is covered in rust and corrosion?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts