Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are experiencing intermittent power loss to your 2006 Santa Fe 3.5L and your tach is jumping around, please - don't listen to the computer.... See my journey to find the right (and cheaper) repair.
March 3, 2018 TookCar to NTB – for Oil Change.
March 4, 2018 Drivingto Church engine light came on. Took carby NTB on way home from church. Tech ranthe code and it said something about Vacuum (?) Air (?) connection. Fiddled with a few wires andconnections near the Air Filter box. Couldn’t find anything. Reset theengine light.
March 5-6, 2018 RanFine (I’ve since been informed the computer will try to adjust to issues butthere comes a point at which the computer can no longer adjust and it allowsthe issue to happen)
March 7, 2018 Wednesdayon the way to work, lost power and engine light came on about three miles fromthe house, but would go off when I took my foot off the gas. Did this several times then ran till Ireached Hwy 99 (Houston, TX). Got up on Hwy 99 and itdid it again several times. Then ranfine till I got to work in The Woodlands. Called NTB and told them I needed to bring back. Left work about 2 and the closer I got tohome the worse it ran till finally the light came on and stayed on. They ran the codes and it came up with threecylinders miss-firing. They said itneeded a tune up. I said are you surethat will fix it, they said yes.
March 10, 2018 They called Saturday afternoon said it was fixed. Picked it up and within about 3-4 milesstarted losing power again. Turnedaround and took it back. We fiddled withit for about an hour and they couldn’t determine what it was. Another mechanic stepped in and he researchedand said it was either the battery was bad or the computer. If the computer, they couldn’t do anything Ihave to take that to the dealership. Checked the battery, it was fine. Cleaned the battery terminals and we reset the computer. Drovehome and it worked fine all the way home.
March 11, 2018 Sunday, went to run an errand andit started it again. Made appointmentwith Humble Hyundai for Monday am completely detailing all the above on theappointment form.
March 13-March 14, 2018 Service Mgr took the car in. Called later in the day andsaid it was the Ignition Failure Sensor. I said you’re sure that will fix the problem and he said the tech saysthat is the problem. I said you promise this has fixed the problemand he said yes, ma’am. Droveit home and it seemed to work for about 5-6 days.
March 19, 2018 I stopped atChurch’s Chkn on the way home on Monday it tried to die while in the drivethru. Did notice my MPG were lower thannormal.
March 22, 2018 Thursdaystarted acting up again on the way to work. So I called Hyundai and made another appointment for Friday am.
March 23, 2018 Fridayam made it back to the dealership. Askedfor a loaner, but they didn’t have one. They had an Uber take me to work. Called melater and said it was the PCM computer and they were on back order for 2 monthsout of South Korea. The repair would runabout 5K. I said the car wasn’t worththat. One of the guys I work with and Ilooked up used computers online and they ran about 150.00 or so and I wasconfused as to why even a new computer would run 5K. Spoke to my son (mechanic in Kentucky) whosuggested taking the car to his friend’s shop in New Caney - something didn’tsound right to him in all this. Took Uber back to the dealership at 3:15. Arrived about 4 Mark was not there. I asked to speak with someone about the billfor the IFS and she referred me. Ispoke to Charles he said if I wanted to buy a new car, he could take the $576.00along with other rebates into the purchase. I got ready to walk out and he went and got his boss, who started withthe same proposal. Got ready to leaveagain. He went and got the GM, who startedwith the same proposal again. I waspretty angry at this point – seemed like all they were interested in wasselling a car. They weren’t listening. I told him I may need to buy a new car, but Ifirst need to deal with the refund issue and that how they handle this wouldcertainly play into whether I would consider buying another Hyundai product. (feltlike I was being ‘played’ just to get me to buy a new car) The GM said he couldn’t give back my moneytill he spoke to Mgr and the tech who had both already left for the day. He’d try to talk to them on Saturday and getback to me, Monday latest.
Arranged an appointment with the friend’s shop on Monday.
March 26, 2018 Had a tow truck take the car to ExecutiveAuto in New Caney. Spoke to the mechanicand told him what the car was doing and what had been done to fix it. He said it didn’t make any sense. We agreed that the ‘tech’s were just going bywhat the computer told them to do and not actually trouble shooting.
Received an email from Ken Krell, GM with Humble Hyundaistating that the “tech replaced the IFS as the computer told him to and they’dtake no responsibility for the fact that the problem was not fixed. Also noted that “the car is a 2006 and thoseolder cars should not be repaired”. Thatit would be best to replace the car and again his offer to take the $576.00 offthe purchase price was still on the table. (I thought it was odd that he’d calla 2006 with 141K miles old since Hyundai supposedly prides itself on thelongevity of it’s vehicles). The techapparently did not drive the car or read the lengthy complaint included with theappointment set up which said that NTB said the computer was possibly bad. The tech just hooked up to the computer andfixed the symptom.
March 28, 2018 Spoketo the mechanic who says he has run the computer, done some diagnostics and replaced the IGNITION WIRING HARNESSand that it is driving well.

March 30-April 17,2018 Picked up the car on Friday and have been driving it since andit has evinced no issues.
ACTUAL REPAIR COST= $281.00 / not $900 or $526. SO DON'T LET THEM TELL YOU IT'S THE IGNITION FAILURE SENSOR OR NEEDS A TUNE UP OR IGNITION COILS BEFORE CHECKING THE WIRING HARNESS.

Hope this helps!!!

SIDE NOTE: NTB - actually refunded the labor for the tune up that did not fix the problem. Never hurts to ask. Unfortunately Humble Hyundai will not take responsibility for their failed 'fix'.

·
Registered
206 Posts
This is why I spent $250 on a good full system scanner plus my OBD link for my phone for all 4 of my Kia's and Hyundai's. All over 160,000 miles on them and still running great. My one Sportage 2.7 has over 250K on it. They aren't hard to troubleshoot. I do all my own maintenance except mount/balance tires. Sears, the dealer and Firestone will not be trusted with any of my cars again. Firestone alignment techs didn't even know that the Sedona/ Entourage has a camber adjustment in the front. He stated the "computer" didn't give him an adjustment for that till I showed him. I actually got a 40% off of my alignment for teaching their tech something new. Too much faith in computers. I can't really knock them. They only know what they are taught. Unreal...

·
Registered
390 Posts
This is why I spent $250 on a good full system scanner plus my OBD link for my phone for all 4 of my Kia's and Hyundai's. All over 160,000 miles on them and still running great. My one Sportage 2.7 has over 250K on it. They aren't hard to troubleshoot. I do all my own maintenance except mount/balance tires. Sears, the dealer and Firestone will not be trusted with any of my cars again. Firestone alignment techs didn't even know that the Sedona/ Entourage has a camber adjustment in the front. He stated the "computer" didn't give him an adjustment for that till I showed him. I actually got a 40% off of my alignment for teaching their tech something new. Too much faith in computers. I can't really knock them. They only know what they are taught. Unreal...

Hi Chris. What scan tool are you using? I have been looking for something reasonable that can do just about everything including ABS and SRS. ABS bleeding would be a bonus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Now thinking about the problems my santa fe has had (also a 2006, 3.5L Limited), it sounds quite a bit like what you experienced, but my crappy mechanics had totally different stories for me, go figure.

Mine definitely did the weird tachometer bouncing business, and the intermittent power loss. Any chance you have a part number or something for what exactly you replaced to remedy your issue? And did you have additional problems with it since then?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.