Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem with my Elantra. I would go to start it after it sat for a bit and it was a loooooong crank and sometimes no start. I found that if I turned the key and waited a few seconds I could start the car no issues... however, I got tired of this and took it in... TWICE... the second time I got a call back from the dealer.

Crack in my fuel pump...

so when I turned the car off it wasn't holding pressure and it was all draining back into the tank. when I got in to start it if I didn't let it "charge" the system again it would just sit there and turn...

Check the pump...

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
That sensor is $10.50 on Amazon! The original Hyundai one!
I despise Amazon with a fiery passion. I'd rather give my dealer $100 before I'd give them ten.

I had the same problem with my Elantra. I would go to start it after it sat for a bit and it was a loooooong crank and sometimes no start. I found that if I turned the key and waited a few seconds I could start the car no issues... however, I got tired of this and took it in... TWICE... the second time I got a call back from the dealer.

Crack in my fuel pump...

so when I turned the car off it wasn't holding pressure and it was all draining back into the tank. when I got in to start it if I didn't let it "charge" the system again it would just sit there and turn...

Check the pump...
The pump has been suspect from almost the beginning and I hate to admit it but I think you're right...it probably is the pump. Your symptoms are identical to mine. I'm just not a fan of spending $600 ($300 part, $300 labor) to replace the pump on a car worth five grand on a good day and one on which I've spent half its value on repairs and maintenance in the last twelve months. If I can do the pump myself, it's an option I'm willing to put on the table. I'll do some tear-down this weekend.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My new fuel pump arrived today and HOLY CRAP is this thing made of some of the cheapest plastic I've ever seen. If mine is cracked like koetiker's was I will totally see why. My only hurdle now is the lock ring that holds the pump in place.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,422 Posts
Crack in my fuel pump...
It's unlikely that there would be a crank in the pump. It's more likely the pump check valve was leaking fuel back to the tank.

lovemysantafe said:
My only hurdle now is the lock ring that holds the pump in place.
Large flat bade screwdriver wrapped in a rag (aka spark prevention device), heavy hammer and a couple of sharp taps and it'll be off.

It's a good idea to clean the top of the tank around the opening before removing the tank unit to prevent any dirt falling into the tank.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
On youtube, Eric from South Main Auto Repair had an old Kia Rondo with a forever-crank condition. Start it within 5 minutes and it was ok. Let it sit a few hours and it'd crank for 15-20 seconds before catching. Cause - the pump in the tank has a plastic pipe that cracks and allows the pressurized fuel in the line to dribble back into the tank. He questioned whether it could be epoxied or other gypsy-fix but since it's such a PIA to get everything apart, it's just better to put the new pump in and it will last another 8 years. It's just the way they're made. Warranted for 5/60 so that's how long they're designed to last. Changing the pump, though, fixes it 100%.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well a friend came over tonight and "Let's take a look" turned into "I wonder how easy this is to remove" which turned into "we've come this far, let's just change it out". I was able to get the locking ring off and back on using the very sophisticated and high-tech hammer and screwdriver method. It's a little too soon to tell but so far the early signs are very promising.

I'll keep you all apprised.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I suppose it's also worth mentioning that I followed the fuel system depressurization method listed in the online manual which involves disconnecting power to the pump and starting the engine, then letting it run until it dies. The engine never even tried to turn over, it just cranked which leads me to believe that in the 20 or so minutes between me shutting it off and getting the pump disconnected, all the fuel had already drained back into the tank. Hardly anything came out when I pulled the lines off the pump, either.

I've got the car in the garage now and it's been sitting for about an hour. Going to wait another two hours and try to start it. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
I suppose it's also worth mentioning that I followed the fuel system depressurization method listed in the online manual which involves disconnecting power to the pump and starting the engine, then letting it run until it dies. The engine never even tried to turn over, it just cranked which leads me to believe that in the 20 or so minutes between me shutting it off and getting the pump disconnected, all the fuel had already drained back into the tank. Hardly anything came out when I pulled the lines off the pump, either.

I've got the car in the garage now and it's been sitting for about an hour. Going to wait another two hours and try to start it. Wish me luck!
I just pad the connection with shop rag and disconnect line.. no major catastrophe for fuel

Let me toss this into the mix.... follow the wire harness from top of pump module,,,, where it goes over the ledge and down,, move over to center of car slightly to find the ground........

Do the "paint grind" thing and secure the lug back to body...

We had one with random long crank (tech "Dumb" had it),, he put pump in it,, I drove it overnight home couple time I think it iwas.. fine & dandy over handfull of starts.. came back with same concern,, FSE was called and come to look at car... he walks back in and says ground on floor loose.. told him this should go over real well for loose ground, he just laughs..

If you need pic of ground point, let me know, it'll take me a few to get it off Hyundai to my PC and turn it around to post here

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any updates? Seeing this issue in a 2011 Elantra GLS. First key turn, crank and start OK. Second key turn, crank OK but stumble (choking) and no start. If you hit the gas while it's stumbling it will rough start. Only happens after short interval engine runs or if you start the engine, stop it and then try to immediately start it again. Seems like identical issue to author?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts