Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have usually found my answers here by just searching existing posts but i cannot find references to this issue i am facing now.

I have a 2001 Santa Fe 2.7 liter and about 8 months ago i started smelling antifreeze and when I turned the vehicle off I would hear a slight sizzle. when i opened up the hood I noticed there was a coolant leak as I would see coolant on the engine cover and the sizzle was when the coolant would hit the exhaust manifold. but this leak was intermittent. I would almost always notice it after the vehicle was turned off because of the smell or sizzle sound but the car would never overheat. I was never able to see where the leak was from but i figured it had to be at the top of the radiator as when it did leak i would notice the Antifreeze on the Engine cover and on the front part of the radiator would be wet. it almost seemed that it only occurred when the engine hit a certain temperature the leak would happen. well when summer came i thought the problem would be worse due to the hot weather in Florida but in actually the problem almost went away. i rarely ever noticed the leak during the summer months. cooler weather has started and the problem seems to be getting more frequent now.

I thought it might be a pinhole on the radiator but i would have thought if that were the case the issue would be constant and not intermittent. I also thought about the radiator cap but oddly enough i have not seen it wet or with any antifreeze on it.

Any ideas or tips i can use to try and diagnose it better.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Look for green/white chalky staining or dried up frosting looking crust at joints for radiator hose to fitting..

2.7 has water pump seep hole that will leak at passenger front of engine, looks to leak above A/C compressor and run down front corner of oil pan by oil filter,

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I agree with the esteemed SBR.

It may be time to do a flush/refill in the cooling system, which would be a good time to tighten clamps, etc. When I do cooling system flush/fill on my cars, I add a small amount, about half the recommended amount, of radiator stop leak, such as Bar's Leaks, to the system to avoid any small leaks or weeps. Too much can wear the impeller in the water pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts