Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I have been browsing the forums to try to get some help with my 2008 Santa Fe issue. Please forgive me if I’m not using the correct car language for certain things I’m about to describe, as I have very little experience with car issues. Essentially, the ABS/ESC off lights come on intermittently for me. The last two instances I’ve had were this past February and June. I notice a change in the brake pedal, as it will not depress and it becomes very stiff. I also cannot accelerate past 20 MPH when this happens. I’m aware of the brake switch recall and it was replaced in March 2016 by Hyundai (ironically enough, having the issues more since then). I notice the issues occur more often 1. When it’s hot out and 2. When the air conditioner is on. It has been into Hyundai several times and they cannot find the issues I’m speaking about. My mechanic has looked it over for me numerous times as well and he can not replicate the issues I’m speaking about. He is telling me he thinks the whole ABS system needs to be replaced at this point. The codes C1237 and C1513 came up for him last summer. He checked the toner rings and ABS components. My car is currently with him and he got the C1513 code again.

Can anyone make any sense out of this for me? Should I go ahead and replace the brake switch again because the code came up 2x since having it replaced in 2016? Should I go ahead and have the ABS system replaced?

·
Registered
682 Posts
One odd thing I found that trips the ESC is LED brake lights, but it does not make the ABS light come on, it could be a bad wheel sensor, speed sensor if equipped, or wheel bearing. Does the speedometer always work properly when this happens?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One odd thing I found that trips the ESC is LED brake lights, but it does not make the ABS light come on, it could be a bad wheel sensor, speed sensor if equipped, or wheel bearing. Does the speedometer always work properly when this happens?
Thank you so much for your reply! I haven’t noticed any issues with the speedometer when this happens. I just notice I can’t accelerate easily and 20 MPH is pretty much all it allows due to brakes locking up

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
You need to determine if the brakes are binding or the management system is holding it back. Next time drive it to a slope and see if the car can roll easily and post back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to determine if the brakes are binding or the management system is holding it back. Next time drive it to a slope and see if the car can roll easily and post back.
The car can roll easily when this issue isn’t occurring, but when it is occurring, the car will not roll easily and comes to a stop as soon as I lift off the gas. Haven’t tested that on a higher slope when the issue occurs, but I definitely notice a difference when it’s on flat road/semi sloped road. I don’t know if this information helps at all.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,191 Posts
My mechanic...is telling me he thinks the whole ABS system needs to be replaced at this point.
Talk about covering all your bases. Let's just replace the whole system. Why not, the customer is paying :D

FWIW, your trouble codes suggest to me that the brake light switch might be closing when it shouldn't be, sending sporadic brake pedal signals to the ABS & engine control modules.

When the ABS module sees a signal from the brake pedal it expects the brake fluid pressure to rise. If the pressure doesn't rise as expected, because your not actually pressing on the brake pedal, that can cause the ABS module to log C1237 - Implausible Pressure Sensor Signal. Also, if the engine has an electric throttle valve, when the engine ECU sees a brake pedal signal it will ignore the signal from the throttle pedal, limiting the vehicle speed. The programming in the ECU knows you are generally trying to slow the vehicle down when you press on the brake, so it will automatically close the throttle when it sees a brake pedal signal.

The first thing I would do is check the brake pedal switch adjustment and make sure the switch plunger is fully depressed when the brake pedal is at rest. And make sure the pedal is coming fully up when released. If the switch adjustment is good, replace the switch again. A replacement switch costs maybe $20, while a new ABS module will cost several hundred. It's always a good idea to start with the cheapest component if your just gonna throw parts at it and hope for the best.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
682 Posts
Do you have led tail light bulbs installed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talk about covering all your bases. Let's just replace the whole system. Why not, the customer is paying :D

FWIW, your trouble codes suggest to me that the brake light switch might be closing when it shouldn't be, sending sporadic brake pedal signals to the ABS & engine control modules.

When the ABS module sees a signal from the brake pedal it expects the brake fluid pressure to rise. If the pressure doesn't rise as expected, because your not actually pressing on the brake pedal, that can cause the ABS module to log C1237 - Implausible Pressure Sensor Signal. Also, if the engine has an electric throttle valve, when the engine ECU sees a brake pedal signal it will ignore the signal from the throttle pedal, limiting the vehicle speed. The programming in the ECU knows you are generally trying to slow the vehicle down when you press on the brake, so it will automatically close the throttle when it sees a brake pedal signal.

The first thing I would do is check the brake pedal switch adjustment and make sure the switch plunger is fully depressed when the brake pedal is at rest. And make sure the pedal is coming fully up when released. If the switch adjustment is good, replace the switch again. A replacement switch costs maybe $20, while a new ABS module will cost several hundred. It's always a good idea to start with the cheapest component if your just gonna throw parts at it and hope for the best.

Thank you very much! I think I’m going to go ahead and ask him to just replace the switch. I agree with you, it’s always best to start with the cheapest option. I did let my mechanic know originally I thought this would be the issue. I told him hyundai replaced it in 2016 and he was confident it was still good. But in my mind anything can go wrong easily, especially if it was another defective one. I would only hope that this would solve the issues I’m experiencing. Otherwise it’s back to the drawing board to figure out if it’s actually the whole ABS system or not. This issue has been frustrating to me, as I just want to drive and not worry about it causing issues and having to find somewhere to pull over and let the car rest. My car may be 12 years old but it’s only got about 79,000 miles on it and I’m trying to get some more use out of it, haha.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, replace the brake switch. Hyundai has been through quite a few revisions of these from what i recall. Your replacement might have been the same kind of old stock that gave you troubles to begin with.

The one you want (assuming you have a 2.7) has an extra pigtail and had a part # that ends with QQH.

When you install the switch it needs to have a 1.5 to 2.0mm play (this is from my memory - i have the TSB at home so can't refer to it now).

Hi All - I have been browsing the forums to try to get some help with my 2008 Santa Fe issue. Please forgive me if I’m not using the correct car language for certain things I’m about to describe, as I have very little experience with car issues. Essentially, the ABS/ESC off lights come on intermittently for me. The last two instances I’ve had were this past February and June. I notice a change in the brake pedal, as it will not depress and it becomes very stiff. I also cannot accelerate past 20 MPH when this happens. I’m aware of the brake switch recall and it was replaced in March 2016 by Hyundai (ironically enough, having the issues more since then). I notice the issues occur more often 1. When it’s hot out and 2. When the air conditioner is on. It has been into Hyundai several times and they cannot find the issues I’m speaking about. My mechanic has looked it over for me numerous times as well and he can not replicate the issues I’m speaking about. He is telling me he thinks the whole ABS system needs to be replaced at this point. The codes C1237 and C1513 came up for him last summer. He checked the toner rings and ABS components. My car is currently with him and he got the C1513 code again.

Can anyone make any sense out of this for me? Should I go ahead and replace the brake switch again because the code came up 2x since having it replaced in 2016? Should I go ahead and have the ABS system replaced?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Just wanted to come on and thank you for your detailed answer. I went ahead and replaced the part so fingers crossed that it stays good for a while!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts