Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Sonata, 42,000 miles. Every now and then the car wont start. Press the start button, everything lights up. Instead of the car then starting I hear a small clunk and then no start. I DO NOT get the "Press the Brake pedal" message. The last time this happened we tried repeatedly to start with no luck. The car then sat for a day. I tried it again with no luck. I them removed the battery clamps and cleaned the battery termninals, reinstalled, put a Start/charger on and tried it again, with the same result. I then opened the engine compartment fuse box and attempted to remove the two "start" relays. They would not come out, but I was able to jigggle them slightyly. The next attempt the car started normally. Started normally again this morning. I'm now off to the dealer. I'll report back when I hear back from the dealer service department. In the meantime, has anyone else had this type of problem; Intermittenty won't start without the Brake pedal message?

·
Registered
486 Posts
An Inhibitor Switch (Error Code 0705) caused intermittent No Starter Engage FOR ME and a Replacement fixed that.

A (plastic) Starter Lever is under a Recall but it breaks and logic says would not allow a Start after.

A Stop Lamp Switch issue (TSB) Does, I believe, cause the "Press Brake" pop-up with No Start, so that shouldn't be you.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i know a 2004 accent is a vastly different vehicle, but my experience might help.

this sounds like a relay issue to me. battery is known to be ok, and the brake pedal message you're missing is what catches my attention. it makes me think that the ECU may not be getting power. without that, the interlock with the brake pedal can't work.

my situation was my car would crank over but wouldn't start. turned out i had a bad ECU relay. the ECU intermittently wouldn't get power on start and therefore can't dump fuel into the cylinders or fire coils. in your case, i think it can't get past the interlock or immobilizer if you have one.

this is all nothing more than an educated guess, but this does sound like a relay issue. electrical wiring and batteries either work or don't. that leaves us with relays or electronics.

best of luck at the stealership! hope they get it for you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I dropped it off and explained the issue and what I had done. The service rep (a customer service type, not a techie) tells me the brake switch issue can cause the engine not to start and NOT display the "Push Brake Pedal" message. Soooo, they are going to replace the brake light switch. I asked that they also troubleshoot the ignition system to ensure that all is well there as well.

It very well might be that is was mere coincidence that the car started after I jiggled the starter relay, however I am dubious.

I've got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the car back. I have a new Brake light switch. The dealer also told me my battery was only putting out 260 CCA vs the 600 it is advertised for. They believed it was contributory to the start issue. I'm not sure about that.

The dealer wanted $150.00 to R&R the battery. Being the skeptic I am, I opted not to have them replace the battery. I stopped at an Advance Auto and had them check out the battery, sure enough it had a bad cell. So, I paid $98.00 for a 700 CCA battery at Advance Auto.

It remains to be seen if the start issue has been corrected. Time will tell.

I still have my fingers crossed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts