Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems since the weather warmed up here in San Antonio, Tx I am now hearing some very annoying sounds/vibrations that seem to be originating from the passenger door (front) and at times around the dashboard area. It's noticeable mostly on non-smooth roads. I read another topic about noise from the glove compartment but that is not my problem. It's really bothersome on a 4 week old 2010 Santa Fe. It's not as bad on smooth roads but difficult to track the problem. I absolutely "will not" allow the dealership to take the dash apart. Anyone else have the problem? Sometimes as the temperature changes some "settling" will occur possibly allowing it to eventually correct itself or become a SEASONAL problem. Just venting! Tedrik

Also-anyone notice the uneven headlight insertion on the drivers side (on my car)? compared to the left, which is perfectly flush, the drivers side is not flush and has a 1/16" gap at the bottom and is not even around the edges-noticed it when I was hand drying after washing. you can also see some rough vinyl on the edges under the area of the headlight. It's not very noticeable until you know it's there! I guess a minor quality control problem.

UPDATE: LOL- I found the problem! I simply removed my sunglasses from the overhead holder! They rattled everytime I hit a bump and resonated throughout the dash and passenger door! I need to place them in the leather case before placing them in the holder! I'm feeling really grateful!!

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
The only interior noises I've encountered are sunroof rattling (tire foam on the leading edge quiets it for 3-6 months) and the occasional passenger-side seat belt clunking against the door pillar if the belt is twisted. Previous Hondas I have owned were plagued by squeaky dashboard seams, the best cure for which was a shot of silicone spray. But if you've got a rattle deeper down somewhere, the only solution is disassembly (which I too am reluctant to allow).

Regarding the headlights, there is usually some difference due to alignment, with the driver's side being aimed slightly lower than the passenger side. But maybe your dealer can have a look at it... adjustments like this are free for the first year.

Regarding quality control: Looking over a 2010 model I found the assembly quality quite good, but I wasn't impressed with some of the exterior plastics, or the deletion of mudflaps and dual exhuasts, compared to my '08. Minor points really, but hopefully not a sign that the Toyotafication of Hyundai has already begun.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL I found the noise culprit!! It was my sunglasses rattling in the overhead glasses holder-causing it to sound like it was coming from the dash everytime I hit a bump. I guess I need to put them in the leather case before putting them in the holder. Like yourself-the only noise I hear is occasionally from the passenger seat/seatbelt area and only when I hit a bump. It would have been TRAGIC if I had taken it to the dealer (they will do unnecessary work to be paid by Hyundai warranty division-and they probably would have simply removed the sunglasses!) Oh well-I feel much better! Tedrik

·
Registered
30 Posts
Personally, I occasionally hear minor squeaks on rough roads coming from the dash. It's only noticeable if the radio is off and it's very quiet. Also,, if I turn on the AC or heater on full blast, sometimes I hear a slight sound from the vents, possibly due to the plastic flexing under the temperature change. Not sure if this is normal or not, but it seems to me that it is.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (tedrik @ Apr 30 2010, 07:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318359
It seems since the weather warmed up here in San Antonio, Tx I am now hearing some very annoying sounds/vibrations that seem to be originating from the passenger door (front) and at times around the dashboard area. It's noticeable mostly on non-smooth roads. I read another topic about noise from the glove compartment but that is not my problem. It's really bothersome on a 4 week old 2010 Santa Fe. It's not as bad on smooth roads but difficult to track the problem. I absolutely "will not" allow the dealership to take the dash apart. Anyone else have the problem? Sometimes as the temperature changes some "settling" will occur possibly allowing it to eventually correct itself or become a SEASONAL problem. Just venting! Tedrik

Also-anyone notice the uneven headlight insertion on the drivers side (on my car)? compared to the left, which is perfectly flush, the drivers side is not flush and has a 1/16" gap at the bottom and is not even around the edges-noticed it when I was hand drying after washing. you can also see some rough vinyl on the edges under the area of the headlight. It's not very noticeable until you know it's there! I guess a minor quality control problem.

UPDATE: LOL- I found the problem! I simply removed my sunglasses from the overhead holder! They rattled everytime I hit a bump and resonated throughout the dash and passenger door! I need to place them in the leather case before placing them in the holder! I'm feeling really grateful!!
Pertaining to the headlight not being perfectly fitted, the dealership wanted to remove the bumper to fix the problem. I DECLINED.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (explicitspirit @ May 1 2010, 11:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318531
Personally, I occasionally hear minor squeaks on rough roads coming from the dash. It's only noticeable if the radio is off and it's very quiet. Also,, if I turn on the AC or heater on full blast, sometimes I hear a slight sound from the vents, possibly due to the plastic flexing under the temperature change. Not sure if this is normal or not, but it seems to me that it is.
I guess we shouldn't expect perfection. There will always be minor squeaks/vibrations. I'd much rather put up with an ocassional squeak than a loud rattling sound. You're correct on the flexing-the weather/temp changes will cause expansion/contraction resulting in some minor noise issues. Hope you're enjoying your Santa Fe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts