Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2...-automatic.html

Makes sense the manual would be faster because of the lower energy loss between the engine and the drive wheels. However, one of the other "rags" noted a throttle dampening of the manual and the auto "should be " 0.5 seconds faster 0-60. Sad Hyundai offers no options on the manual GLS. It would be interesting to see an actual WHP for the Sonata.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Apr 21 2010, 09:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315340

Makes sense the manual would be faster because of the lower energy loss between the engine and the drive wheels. However, one of the other "rags" noted a throttle dampening of the manual and the auto "should be " 0.5 seconds faster 0-60. Sad Hyundai offers no options on the manual GLS. It would be interesting to see an actual WHP for the Sonata.
But they didn't make a 1969 Pinto?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto
The first retail delivery in North America of the 1971 Pinto was made to Charles J. Pinto who lived in Pinto, Maryland. On hand to deliver the Pinto was Arthur Kowell, president of Kowell Ford Inc. As verified in The Cumberland Times, Sunday, Sept. 13, 1970.

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Apr 21 2010, 11:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315340

Although they expected the auto to be quicker I think they underestimated the relatively low stall speed of the automatic (preventing a good launch), they also didn't expect the automatic to shift so low. The autos I drove only shifted at 6000 or maybe even 5900-5950, since the car is making its max hp at 6300 those 200rpm you are missing is enough to slow down the times.

If my manual didn't have the throttle dampening (does it even with TC off) I'm guessing it would be at least .2-.3 seconds quicker in the 1/4.

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Apr 21 2010, 11:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315340

Although they expected the auto to be quicker I think they underestimated the relatively low stall speed of the automatic (preventing a good launch), they also didn't expect the automatic to shift so low. The autos I drove only shifted at 6000 or maybe even 5900-5950, since the car is making its max hp at 6300 those 200rpm you are missing is enough to slow down the times.

If my manual didn't have the throttle dampening (does it even with TC off) I'm guessing it would be at least .2-.3 seconds quicker in the 1/4.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Although it is only of academic value but has anyone seen what the official top speed is of the 2011 sonata? In Europe it is common knowledge what a car's top speed is but here in North America I have seldom seen it being published. (or even tested) Looking at it drag coefficient of 0.28 and almost 200 horsepower on tap I expect it to be well over 120mph (200KPU). 130mph would be a wild **** guess.

·
Registered
231 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ May 8 2010, 11:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320900
Although it is only of academic value but has anyone seen what the official top speed is of the 2011 sonata? In Europe it is common knowledge what a car's top speed is but here in North America I have seldom seen it being published. (or even tested) Looking at it drag coefficient of 0.28 and almost 200 horsepower on tap I expect it to be well over 120mph (200KPU). 130mph would be a wild **** guess.

Car and driver says it's governed at 130

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ May 8 2010, 11:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320915
Think that is conservative, would guess you would see that reduction in the 0-60 time, given the hp/weight and six speed manual
Yeah, you are probably right. It's really bad the way it unloads the car. But I think since the auto only does a 16.2, I'm not sure what a proper manual would do (without the throttle issues). In comparison.. Maybe 15.5? The 16.2 out of the auto is a little on the slow side too.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Good article. That throttle dampening is truly an enigma. One of my past cars was a 1995 Nissan Maxima. That 3.0 liter engine had about the same horsepower and torque figures as the 2011 Sonata's 2.4 liter engine. (Actually it had 190 hp.) Not a surprise, the automatic version of the car required 8.0 seconds to hit 60 mph, about the same as the 2011 automatic Sonata. However, the 5-speed manual needed only 6.6 seconds to hit 60 mph. It was a good second quicker.

With 200 hp, it makes sense the 2011 Sonata should also drop into the sub-7 second range to 60 with a manual transmission, especially with a 6-spd manual that a can offer quick gears. By the way my 168 hp, 2007, 5-spd manual Sonata needs only 7.8 seconds to hit 60 mph. That's just a 1/10th of a second slower than the 200 hp version. The manual should be much quicker. I just find it frustrating that Hyundai did not take advantage of the full potential. If they mated the manual to the SE and removed that dampener, they would have a true star. No, a superstar in the price range.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So the manual GLS is most likely a bit faster 0-60 than the SE? I'll have to remember that in case a manual GLS pulls up to me in my SE and revs their engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts