Hyundai Forums banner

Interesting Scenario (feedback appreciated)

869 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Clayrommel2 
#1 ·
So i have owned my elantra since 2013 and 94,000 miles and since then haven't done pretty much anything maintenance wise other than oil changes, filters, tires, and brake pads. Well long story short i was taking a trip from florida to tennessee and the shift solenoids went out while up there and because bad luck and no time i left the car in a field for a year and a half. Fixed in in july of 2019 and drove it back everything works but after i arrived home noticed a hissing sound coming from engine. My first though oh just a vacuum leak no biggie so i take the engine cover off about two weeks ago to investigate and couldn't find a leak so me being lazy i decided to leave it off and today while idling in park i noticed my idle moving a little not a huge amount just enough to get your attention. So i go get carb cleaner and a new IAC (idle air control valve) gasket thinking all i will need to do is clean the valve. Well nothing can ever go easy so upon inspection i notice a large crack in the body of the IAC so i figure i'm sure its just a surface crack but upon cleaning carb cleaner starter pouring from the crack so of course that needs to be replaced but while looking around the engine bay after removing the engine cover i notice that there is a crack in the valve cover. So i pull on the piece that is cracked and it falls off revealing the gasket underneath. So, far i need a new valve cover and a new IAC not to mention gaskets and new vacuum hoses because now at 176,000 miles rubber falls apart. So tomorrow i will be going to junkyard to go grab a valve cover and IAC. My main question is has anyone who worked or works on their vehicle run into the either the IAC or valve cover form cracks in them or am i just completely unlucky.

See less See more
#2 ·
Usually it is happen because you (or somebody else) overtight valve cover or sensor bolts. This is a typical newbie mistake, these small bolts should not be overtighten... I don't remember exact specs, but usually it is around 7-10 feet/lb or so (you can easily find specs on Internet). If you overtight these bolt it may cause oil leak or - in worst case scenario - crack in valve cover. IAC sensor also can be damaged by mistake because of it location...

#3 ·
I'm thinking if the valve cover was ever replaced it was probably over torqued by whoever replaced it before me but i got it all sealed up and jb welded the cracked portions as all of the ones in the junkyard had has cracks in the same spots the front three bolts. Interestingly the other thing i noticed was that most of the IAC's in the junkyard were also cracked in the same spot and im thinking from the heat and cold cycles but anyways i was able to find one that wasnt cracked but just an interesting observation i noticed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.