Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a scantool hooked up to my 13 Elantra answer went driving for a few just to see how everything worked etc. just like electronic gadgets. lol
Anyways I had the full throttle Guage on screen and every time I put the pedal to the floor getting on Highway etc. it only read 89% throttle, it was right to the floor through a few gears and never broke 89% throttle not 100% when wide open. I assume this will be something to do with fuel economy etc. not too sure but found it interesting, would that mean we should have a bit more pedal/power when floored?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Great. Now everybody will be crawling around under their dashboard, looking for the secret performance switch that we all knew was turned off all this time. ^_^

But seriously it's an interesting observation. Perhaps somebody else can explain it.

·
22,788 Posts
11% fuel savings, Don? ;)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a OBD II bluetooth transmitter and an app on my android to read it. I've been wanting to check out everything about this engine but haven't gotten to it. I'm gonna do it this weekend or week and see if I see the same thing! Its called Torque Pro.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I think this helped some people out for those how are showing less then 89%. http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/170185-getting-rid-dead-space-gas-pedal.html Dont know if anyone has gotten pas the 89%.

Or try this...
Originally Posted by Redone View Post
I had the same problem and I got this procedure from another members post back in September 2012 and I apologize as I do not remember who originally posted the following:

Soft reset of the ECU.
Note ALL the electrical must be shut off, including climate control. Don't operate anything electrical, radio-windows-dome light-etc, during the procedure.

1) Turn the Key to the "on" position (the position right before you start your engine)

2) Press and hold your gas pedal down to the floor for more than 5 seconds

3) With gas pedal still down, turn Key to "off" position (dont remove the key) and then slowly release the gas pedal.

4) Wait at least 20 minutes for the car systems to reset before you restart your car.

This "soft reset" rests the tranny and ECU to original "agressive" factory defaults - since "adaptive" program was designed for economy, and not performance.
.................................................. .................................................. ............................
Try the above procedure and let us know if it works for you.....
It helped my hesitation problem and its not a good feeling when you try to pull out in traffic and it takes a few seconds for your car to go.
Thanks to the original poster for this information.
Buzzsaw

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
..... had the full throttle Guage on screen and every time I put the pedal to the floor getting on Highway etc. it only read 89% throttle, it was right to the floor through a few gears and never broke 89% throttle not 100% when wide open.
Is there any difference with the ECO button in or out?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I believe this is because new cars have "drive by wire" throttle control. The computer decides the best throttle position. I know this was true on my previous ride, Nissan Titan.

·
Banned
532 Posts
If you have a proximity key you've got to button forward to start before getting to the off position, keeping your foot off the brake it's no problem but will it still reset the ECU by cycling through the start position to off?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any chance is has something to do with this? "Getting Rid of Dead Space in the Gas Pedal" (I can't post the link yet but its in this forum)
Seems like when you floor it you aren't actually flooring it..
Same problem exists in my Saleen, but that was a cable going from the pedal to the T/B being too long by design. You had to literally go under your dash and ghetto-rig washers/whatever to get rid of the slack..worked like a charm haha.

·
22,788 Posts
Seems like when you floor it you aren't actually flooring it.
How often does it become necessary to "floor it?" And if the answer is "every now and then, or often," MPG conversation goes right out the exhaust pipe, along with any argument regarding window sticker inaccuracies. ;)

Last time I checked, this car was built for economy; it just "looks" fast. LOL

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
How often does it become necessary to "floor it?" And if the answer is "every now and then, or often," MPG conversation goes right out the exhaust pipe, along with any argument regarding window sticker inaccuracies. ;)

Last time I checked, this car was built for economy; it just "looks" fast. LOL
Basically never. Aside from the occasional full throttle on a highway entrance ramp just to clear out the cobwebs my rpm rarely goes over 3500 and typically stays around 2000.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Unfortunately if y'all live in a big aggressive city , wot is required to merge or test your rear crash beam. Just a fact in some parts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Agree with AFPJ, where I live when you merge on a freeway or express way, I need all the power I can get. Is cutting some power from the engine Hyundai's way of making their past MPG claims more relevant. I'm not saying 11% reduction in power is an 11% increase in mpg, but its worth something. So I am guessing my 148hp is now 132hp and 117 ft/lbs. I guess that dead space in the throttle is the reason why its so hard to rev match.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I've seen this before in cars that are like this which is called "drive by wire".

My Caliber SRT-4 had this same technology and even floored the throttle would only be at 85%. There was a company that made an ECU reflash to increase this to 95% but they never were able to open it 100%.

Beyond getting a custom flash on the ECU of the car there is unfortunately nothing that can be done...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have an OBDII Bluetooth adapter as well. another anomaly i found was the speed reading. its off by ~7-9%... check it out. use torque OBD

after doing some reading I found out that most cars are all made the same, and tuned through the ECU differently depending on the region its shipped to. Primarily to run more fuel efficiently or reliably in your given climate.

so basically, this could be the reason why the throttle is tuned down and the speed is tuned up... they need one platform to suit the whole world... and the easiest way of managing that is through software.

there are a few products out there that can optimize your setup to get better fuel economy, or power, but at what cost??? your warranty would be void... thats for sure...

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Not sure 89% throttle opening necessarily means an 11% loss of power. Maybe 89% is just where the power output peaks in the Elantra for some reason.

I also disagree with most claims that an Elantra owner "needs" to use every one of those 148 horsepower to avoid being rear-ended on a daily basis. If that was true then every Toyota Corolla would be in an accident, and no Corvette ever would. It's driver error, people. Pulling into traffic NOW instead of waiting, or passing one more car before the ramp runs out. It's the oldest story in the book... no matter how much power we have we always find a way to "need" more.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not sure 89% throttle opening necessarily means an 11% loss of power. Maybe 89% is just where the power output peaks in the Elantra for some reason.

I also disagree with most claims that an Elantra owner "needs" to use every one of those 148 horsepower to avoid being rear-ended on a daily basis. If that was true then every Toyota Corolla would be in an accident, and no Corvette ever would. It's driver error, people. Pulling into traffic NOW instead of waiting, or passing one more car before the ramp runs out. It's the oldest story in the book... no matter how much power we have we always find a way to "need" more.
+1

Learn to drive to the conditions that are present. Poor drivers always blame the car/road/other driver.

·
22,788 Posts
Ingrid merges into the fast lanes just fine. Not a lot of demand for "quick"'power. Her owner knows how to "blend" and "judge" the oncoming traffic. Probably doesn't hurt that fellow Okies are considerate, too. First place I ever lived where courtesy is contagious at a 4-way Stop sign.

If we can't move over on the highway, we will slow a bit and flash our lights to allow the driver on the ramp an opportunity to blend in and merge. It is impressive. No offense New Yorkers, but you'd have a hard time selling this in your region of the country.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts