Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm looking to test drive a 2018 SEL Plus this weekend with the 2.0L V4 and 6-speed transmission as I've seen enough about the dual-clutch transmission to scare me away from buying a Limited trim level. Would love feedback from owners of 2016+ Tuscon's that have the 2.0L -everything from how the vehicle as held up, pros and cons to features, fuel economy, etc. I've never bought a Hyundai before and currently own an Edge, so would greatly appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've got a 2017 SE Plus which is just about the equivalent of the 18 SEL Plus .. also did not want a different trim with the DCT. Wife has a 17 SE because the Plus was not available at the time. Both are fine.

Mine is only 8 months old so I can't speak much about how long it will hold up, but over the 35 years or so my family has had around 8 Hyundai's.. never had any major issues with them. Newer cars with all the new technology is what introduces the problems.. Wife's was bought in January of 17 and no problems with that either. I don't expect to have any major issues, again because I've been in Hyundai's for the majority of my life..

Would love it if the engine was a bit more powerful, but generally it's ok. Everything responds well enough. Also wish that "AWD" actually meant something more useful than it is. It's AWD when it "senses" that you need AWD, or you can lock it into full time AWD as long as you're under 25mph.. then it's only FWD. Don't know if you're planning on the AWD trim but just know it's not like you're zipping down the highway in AWD.

Fuel economy.. I don't think is all that great. But, of course, I never drive at 60mph. A lot of highway at 80mph or so. I gas up every week or week and a half after around 260-280 miles or so. I suppose it's average, I just don't feel like it's all that great. Small gas tank though is the main culprit. It's not a 20-25 gal tank like some SUV's have. So depending on gas price it ranges between $30-40 to fill up.

You won't have anything to be concerned about if you like the Tucson in general. Other brands will have different features and specs but for the most part they are all pretty similar these days. If you like the Tucson and can get a good deal on one you will most likely be happy with it for the long term.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I've had a 2017 SE FWD for a couple of weeks now.
I too avoided the DCT. Hyundai isn't the only company having problems with this technology.
Wasn't keen on a turbo either, with its increased maintenance and complexity.
Trouble free reliability is more important to me than 1-2 more mpg or getting to 60mph a second sooner.
The throttle is less sensitive early in its travel, which can give the impression it's more under powered.
OTOH, it makes for gentler parking maneuvers.

Some claim drivers who have driven manuals get along better with the DCT.
My last three cars were stick shifts, but I find myself in more stop and go traffic, and my leg gets sore.
I loved the sense of control with the manual, but I didn't like rocking my passengers heads back and fourth with each shift.
The 6-speed in the Tucson pulls as smooth as a locomotive under moderate acceleration.
The only other auto I've ever driven that was comparable was a 12 cylinder Jaguar from the 70s.
Compared to my last vehicle, a 2006 5-speed Toyota Matrix, the Tucson has comparable acceleration, quieter ride, smoother engine, overall more "grown up".

·
Registered
41 Posts
Get the 2018 Sport trim with the 2.4L or wait for the 2019s with it. Have the SE AWD and kind of regret it. The 2.0L gets the job done with just me in the vehicle but pretty boring to drive. With 3-4 adults and/or trying to accelerate even slightly uphill acceleration is pretty bad. Compared to the Edge you're going to be disappointed unless you have the Edge base engine. Fuel economy isn't very good, 20-21 MPG around town and about 24-25 highway. A/C and heat are weak even after the sensor recall. Interior plastics are kind of cheap and scratch/scuff easily.

Coming from an Edge I'd take a look at a CPO 2017 Escape SE with the 2.0T. With Ford depreciation they're cheap and the 2017 upgrades are pretty nice. I'm probably going to trade my Tucson in on one soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback so far. I've never liked the Escape's, so no interest there. Hyundai is scrapping the Dual-clutch tranny for the 2019 Tuscon's, I think that alone is the confirmation that it was a failed attempt. I don't like the interior of the 2019's as well as the 2016-2018 because I don't like the tablet style infotainment screen on the dash, which is unfortunately what many auto manufacturer's are putting in newer models, otherwise I would just get a 2019 with the 2.4L.

After all the research and feedback, I realize the 2.0L isn't going to be exciting. Thankfully it'll just be me in the vehicle 90%+ of the time, so that'll help. I live in the midwest and travel often for work, so AWD is a must. My Edge has the 3.5L V6 with the 6-speed and is AWD. Over the course of the year with mostly highway driving, I average 20 mpg. I wish the Tuscon had a 20 gallon tank as I think it only has a 15 gallon tank, not sure why auto manufacturers put such tiny gas tanks in so many cars anymore??? Anyway, if I could get 23-25 mpg with a Tuscon it'd be an improvement. I think I can get a new 2018 SEL Plus AWD for $22,500-23,500 and as long as I can get a good trade for my Edge (and I should) then I consider that a steal of a deal for everything the Tuscon's offer. Especially when Honda and Toyota don't deal near as much because they have more established brands.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 2016 SE model with the 2.0L. No regrets with the purchase. Even way back then people were complaining about how dangerous the DCT was, although complaints now are much more muted (Hyundai seems to have largely corrected the problem). However when I test drove the DCT I liked it.

IMHO, if you are an aggressive driver you will hate the 2.0L. Same is true if your vehicle is loaded down with passengers and/or cargo. But none of this applies to me and so I am happy. Yeah, I wish the vehicle had a bit more zip when passing others on the highway but otherwise its performance is fine, especially at lower speeds. The transmission performs as you would expect: unobtrusively. I also get about 25 mpg overall in largely suburban-ish driving. No mechanical problems either.

And so I think the Hyundai Tucson with the 2.0L is an assume little SUV. It's a great value.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
2+ years and 30K+ miles. No regrets at all with the 1.6T/DCT combo.

Hyundai didn't scrap it, they just took it out of the Tucson. Still in several models. Even the brand new Kona.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hey All,

I'm looking to test drive a 2018 SEL Plus this weekend with the 2.0L V4 ...
BTW it's not a "V4." "V6" and "V8" are terms used for engines that have their cylinders arranged in a "V" pattern. The 4 cylinder engines that Hyundai makes are inline 4 cylinder engines (I-4, rather than V-4). There have been very few V4 engines ever made by anyone.

Hope you find your dream vehicle!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If you want good fuel efficiency, consider the turbo. I am getting 32.5 mpg on the highway with a passenger and luggage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
32.5 mpg exceeds what Hyundai states, I assume that's a FWD model? There's certain conditions that can help a vehicle way exceed what it's rated to get. Based on what I've seen price wise, an SEL Plus can be bought for around $4-5k less than a Limited and while the 2.0L doesn't have quite as much HP or Torque as the 1.6L Turbo, the 6-speed is a much safer bet. Even with a warranty, I don't want an unreliable vehicle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
With my 2.0L I have found the EPA gas mileage estimate to be reasonably accurate (23 city, 31 highway). If I do a lot of stop and go driving I might only get 20 mpg (or worse), especially if I drive only a couple of miles and the engine is cold. On the highway I have had brief moments of 35+ mpg, but more typically 31-33 mpg. But on balance the EPA estimate is true.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those are phenomenal numbers guys and they're one of the main reasons why I'm considering trading my Edge tomorrow. I typically get 21-23 mpg with my Edge cruising down the highway, regardless of fuel type. I'm a 5-10 over kind of guy and when there's not a ton of traffic I try to use momentum and gravity to my favor with light acceleration down hills which allows for less strain on the motor climbing up hills.

Lazza: Are you getting those kinds of numbers with an AWD version? Because I notice the 2.0L is only rated to get 21 city and 26 hwy, which I think can be beaten but I'd consider it **** impressive to get 30+ mpg on the hwy with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts