Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys force more air into your short ram intakes? Anyone running a ram intake? Looking for options other than the stock inlet
2011 sonata
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
On a turbo engine there isn't need to force more air in since the turbo is already sucking it in at higher pressure. Are you looking to get cooler air to your SRI? If so, then you should go back to the factory setup which already is a cold air intake pulling air in from the front grill just below the hood and enclosed away from the hot air from the engine. You could alternatively cut open your hood to make a ram intake force outside air at your SRI to help it not suck in so much hot air from engine bay to help reduce intake temps.

·
Registered
400 Posts
How do you guys force more air into your short ram intakes? Anyone running a ram intake? Looking for options other than the stock inlet
2011 sonata
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
So I have a bit of a different take than some IF when using the SRI you also have the stock hood snorkel still installed. This is the recommendation by InJen (which I use) and K&N also.

The deal is this: At speed, the stock intake snorkel directs cool air from outside the engine compartment directly at the filter intake where you want it to be and still keep most of the effect of the cooler stock intake system but with a less restrictive intake pathway which includes the smooth metal intake pipe and normally a large cone type filter. You WILL hear more intake sound as well if that's important to you. I'm just looking for a performance improvement, albeit a small one (~10HP) and how it also looks (great) so I went that path.

You will see no improvement when sitting in hot traffic as you will then be sucking in hot, under hood air where the stock system would be superior. If that concerns you, the one upgrade you might try is a less restrictive panel filter (K&N, AEM, etc.) over the stock paper air filter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts