Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
anyone done any intake valve clean DIY? for 2.0T
DIY not personally ,many will run seafoam through but no clear evidence if it worked but my plan very soon is a BG fuel service as the valves tend to become coated around 5k and I am at 10k now. Other issue with GDI engine is turbo coaking so a Catch Can will be added also. I tend to run BG products through and 44K every 6 mo just to keep the injectors clean and fuel system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My plan is to keep it simple and hope for the best for both the Santa Fe and my Elantra GT Sport.

Top tier gas only, Techron concentrate at 5k mile intervals, and CRC GDI Cleaner at 10k mile intervals as directed.

trey

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,556 Posts
CRC GDI Intake Cleaner $10-12 a can, Ive used it 4 times now about every 20,000 miles. Takes 10-15 minutes and soak time. Can be done by removing air cleaner element and spraying into intake or loosen the intake hose at the air cleaner box and inject there.

Fuel additives will not keep intake valves clean in a GDI engine since no fuel runs over the intake valves.

A lot of threads in the LF Sonata section

·
Registered
63 Posts
I haven't used any intake valve cleaner before. I keep reading the caution to avoid spraying over the MAF sensor, so I am hesitant to trying it without proper instructions for our vehicle. Would anyone be kind enough to film it when they clean their intake using CRC on the 2.0 T model?

·
Registered
272 Posts
DO NOT SPRAY OVER THE MAF SENSOR - - AT ALL. Spray after it.
Also -- CRC GDI Intake Cleaner - - - This is the only aftermarket spray approved for turbo use. You can actually spray it before the turbo and it will clean the turbine blades.
It has PEA in it - - - the ONLY chemical that can survive the heat in a combustion chamber and clean your exhaust valves and piston tops.

CRC has a good instructional video on their website on how to use the product.

Don't waste your time with seafoam or anything else - - - - go grab a can of CRC GDI

GDI IVD? Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner, 311 Grams - Cleaner/Degreaser - Automotive

Vids

Have fun keeping your engine purring!

·
Registered
401 Posts
A '19 SFS wouldn't have a MAF... it's a MAP car. Only concerns I would have are chunks of carbon flaking off and creating hot spots in the cylinder, scoring walls or clogging the Cat eventually.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't used any intake valve cleaner before. I keep reading the caution to avoid spraying over the MAF sensor, so I am hesitant to trying it without proper instructions for our vehicle. Would anyone be kind enough to film it when they clean their intake using CRC on the 2.0 T model?
i'm curious about 2.0T as well, since the intake is connect to turbo, not intake manifold. the tube connect to manifold are difficult to take off.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Remove engine air filter and spray there... It's that simple

I have seen no issues caused by using any of the intake port and valve cleaners

·
Registered
5 Posts
CRC GDI Intake Cleaner $10-12 a can, Ive used it 4 times now about every 20,000 miles. Takes 10-15 minutes and soak time. Can be done by removing air cleaner element and spraying into intake or loosen the intake hose at the air cleaner box and inject there.

Fuel additives will not keep intake valves clean in a GDI engine since no fuel runs over the intake valves.

A lot of threads in the LF Sonata section
2019 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T 14,000 miles
I just tried this method with CRC GDI Intake Cleaner: removed air filter, held the can upside down, and stuck straw into big round turbo intake hose through the air filter box, and sprayed the entire can in short bursts. Did the heat soak, and drove on the highway for 10 minutes. Next morning I notice a clear oily puddle under engine. I crawled underneath and see dripping from under turbo. The SUV still runs fine and doesn't make any noise, but I'm concerned that the whole can leaked out somewhere and never made it to the valves. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
422 Posts
2019 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T 14,000 miles
I just tried this method with CRC GDI Intake Cleaner: removed air filter, held the can upside down, and stuck straw into big round turbo intake hose through the air filter box, and sprayed the entire can in short bursts. Did the heat soak, and drove on the highway for 10 minutes. Next morning I notice a clear oily puddle under engine. I crawled underneath and see dripping from under turbo. The SUV still runs fine and doesn't make any noise, but I'm concerned that the whole can leaked out somewhere and never made it to the valves. Any ideas?
It is recommended to use the vacuum hose with the turbo. I'd say try taking an extended highway drive...maybe 30 mins to burn off any of the residual fluid that remains. Are you completely sure that the fluid is coming from the turbo? The turbo gets pretty hot, so any fluid left should have already burned off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is recommended to use the vacuum hose with the turbo. I'd say try taking an extended highway drive...maybe 30 mins to burn off any of the residual fluid that remains. Are you completely sure that the fluid is coming from the turbo? The turbo gets pretty hot, so any fluid left should have already burned off.
I don't know where it is leaking from but there was a 1cm clear oily drop hanging from the bottom of the turbo (I was under car with car jacked up). And there was wetness on the driver side of the turbo. I looked all around that area and couldn't determine the origin. The SUV had no issues at all before I used the CRC. I think I better have a mechanic look at it.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
835 Posts
We need illustration/video on how to do this on the SF 2.0T. It is inevitable this service is needed at some point. Most of us are newbies, I'm :(

·
Registered
422 Posts
We need illustration/video on how to do this on the SF 2.0T. It is inevitable this service is needed at some point. Most of us are newbies, I'm :(
There is a vacuum hose connected to the intake labeled T-GDI. Use some pliers to release the clamp, disconnect the hose, and use that hose to spray into.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
835 Posts
Just to be sure...
Release the clamp at the 3'oclock position, spray into the rubber hose. The chemical has to be rubber safe.

What about release the 8'oclock clamp to spray directly into the intake, skipping the hose?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just to be sure...
Release the clamp at the 3'oclock position, spray into the rubber hose. The chemical has to be rubber safe.

What about release the 8'oclock clamp to spray directly into the intake, skipping the hose?
Your choice which one to loosen. I actually just got done. Took me about 10 mins. Really simple. I tried to loosen the end of the hose connected closest to the intake....it was on there too good lol....I couldn't pull it off. So I ended up spraying through the other end of the hose. Now to let it sit for an hour and take her on a highway drive! 🚗

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not sure if that’s a good location to be spraying fluids. Spray down that hose and the turbo will be bathed in fluid and can be damaged. Spray down the intake manifold and you risk fluid puddling inside the intake and all it takes is some WOT acceleration and the fluid is sucked into the engine and boom bent valves, bye bye engine. To me the risks outweigh the benefits.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Not sure if that’s a good location to be spraying fluids. Spray down that hose and the turbo will be bathed in fluid and can be damaged. Spray down the intake manifold and you risk fluid puddling inside the intake and all it takes is some WOT acceleration and the fluid is sucked into the engine and boom bent valves, bye bye engine. To me the risks outweigh the benefits.
I'm quite sure CRC would have been sued by now if their product damaged engines in the way you speak. My engine now idles a bit smoother and has better throttle response. I'll take the benefits while following the directions to minimize any risks...to each his/her own 👻.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts