Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have any of you participated (past or current) in the 'snapshot' programs offered by insurance companies to 'reduce your premiums'?

i just received an increase in my premiums and i called them and they said they don't have multiple categories anymore. they have two. Commute & Pleasure categories. to obtain discounts, need to use their OBDII plug in module.

i'm skeptical because i drive alot and i will get penalized based on number of miles, not how i drive.

just curious if any of you all ever used this before and your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
No way am I going to let an insurance data log my driving habits. Same way I wont answer driving habit questions on my health review survey. If they want to make public their criterion and how certain activities fit into what category; that might make me slightly think about it.

If I don't have tickets or accidents there should be no problem.

Also read the information disclosure about the data and how its used after you hand it back to them since they will know your habits.

·
Banned
532 Posts
I've had State Farm for 35+ years for auto & home, I spoke to my agent about the program and he simply stated "No way in **** will I let you sign up for it". I haven't had a ticket in 30+ years, no accidents, 1 comp. claim and 1 tow job (an off roading incident he covered for me, actually I think it was more a big winch job). I'm not the paranoia type but this is only going to get worse with how they want to calculate gas taxes and what they have and plan to have in our cars black boxes.

Coppers need a Subpoena for the data? My ass.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I've had State Farm for 35+ years for auto & home, I spoke to my agent about the program and he simply stated "No way in **** will I let you sign up for it".
That within itself also feeds the TinHat conspiracy theorist in me.

They try to lure you in with "discounts" but don't bother to publicly establish what is being logged and how it will be categorized....

·
Registered
542 Posts
I passed on it also when i received a letter from state farm about the program. You just have to use common sense, there's no way an insurance company would offer this if it didn't benefit them in the long run. Don't need anyone monitoring my driving habits either way. We're losing our freedoms more and more everyday as it is so... No thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I agree that this trend is a very bad one. Soon it might be that our health insurance companies want us to swallow a small device so they can monitor what we eat, drink, and inhale. Stay away!

·
Registered
69 Posts
From my understanding they are illegal in Canada for penalizing drivers based on driving habits.

For example, sudden excelleration; no camera capturing why you did. Or heavy braking when a child runs in front of you.

But if you say you drive 40mi/km daily and you do 100mi/km daily they got you.

But they got yoy anyways if you have a cell phone. You get pinged hundreds a times a day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
187 Posts
It really doesn't matter, all cars starting with the 2014 models will come with the black box so they are going to get you one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was going to decline it. basically, they are going to track how many miles you drive and adjust premiums against that data. i informed them that is not a fair way of determining premiums. i may drive alot, but, i'm safer than 85% of the idiots i see on the roadways. i've been in 3 accidents since i was 17 (I'm 47 now). all three have been rear-end collisions - some a-holes right on my bumpers in morning rush hours. one time, a good polish on the bumper removed the black paint they left behind. second one, a new bumper cover, and unfortunately, the third one totalled our Odyssey. Made an "S" out of the car. front end whacked, rear end smashed.

the agent informed me that all they do is get the mileage every quarter. it's sent electronically. I'm going to put them to a test as it stands. i signed up for their 'teen on board' program. same type of device, but supposedly only I can monitor her habits. it will send me a notice if she leaves a predetermined area, goes over a set speed limit i have set, and a bunch of other things. But, the caveat is, insurance company states they don't monitor it at all. by using it, i am entitled for up to a 30% discount on her insurance. so, i'm going to get the thing in the mail...and not plug it in. see if they are really telling the truth or not about it. it's free to get...costs nothing....saves money...is how they market it.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
But, the caveat is, insurance company states they don't monitor it at all. by using it, i am entitled for up to a 30% discount on her insurance. so, i'm going to get the thing in the mail...and not plug it in. see if they are really telling the truth or not about it. it's free to get...costs nothing....saves money...is how they market it.
Very curious to see how that works for you. I like the idea; get it and not plug it in and get 30% off. Seems smart to me.

As for your mileage comment I totally agree. Its way to black and white. I could drive 1.2 miles back and forth to work with my cell phone in my face texting or 25 miles back and forth trying to be the best driver out there. Totally arbitrary and not very scientific at all.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I actually requested the State Farm OBDII fob and never received it. I haven't bothered to contact them again about it. My current commute is less than 5 miles, so I would like whatever deal I can get!

·
Banned
532 Posts
I actually requested the State Farm OBDII fob and never received it. I haven't bothered to contact them again about it. My current commute is less than 5 miles, so I would like whatever deal I can get!
5*2*5*52=2,600 miles + pleasure, weekends & vacation miles.

I think SF has a category for less than 7,500 miles per year, I would check into it with your situation. Jeez 2 oil changes a year just because you have low miles and are considered in the "severe condition" category.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2600 miles a year commuting....ha...i avg over 600 miles a week. i don't think i'm going to qualify for many discounts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used them on both my car (2013 SE) and my wifes (08 Hyundai Veracruz) with Progressive. My understanding was that it pretty much can't raise your rates, just lower them.

For both our cars, we installed the device and drove with them for 1 month. We then had to mail it back in. Since then our premiums receive a discount based on that 1 month of driving. I'm not sure if they would let us "take the test" again.

For Progressive, it judged your discount based on time of day driven, miles driven, and "hard breaks". The device itself would also beep when you had a "hard break" to try to help you learn.

In the end, I got a 3% discount and she got a 2% discount. Not much but whatever. She drives quite a bit less than me (stay at home mom, I commute daily in my car to work), but she had more hard breaks and times of day I drove to and from work (non-rush hours) helped.

I understand why people would not want to use a device like that for privacy reasons, but I figured it was only for a little time (1 month), couldn't really hurt, and there was no way of them easily using to report traffic violations (plus with speed cameras, red light cameras, etc everywhere, it's not like I'm not already being monitored).

Anyway, just my 2 cents and experience with it.

·
Registered
2013 Sonata SE
248 Posts
both the wife and I just put these in our cars...i know for a fact that it helps. she had it on her tiburon before about 2 years ago and got her rate down by like $20/month...since we are on a 6month plan, every 6 months we can do the snapshot again for 30 days....yeah it sucks having "big brother" watching you but every little bit helps

the only crappy thing is the "hard brakes" log...what is considered a hard brake is if when you apply the brake and your car decrases over 7mph in a certain amount of time, it is a hard brake...the device thats plugged into the OBD plug gives 3 annoying beeps...ive already had like 6 since i put it in...only once was i going to fast...the others are idiots in front of me or pulling out in front of me and i have no choice but to hit my brakes....

if only they put the Ebrake in the CENTER console on this car like the tiburon, i would be applying that a low pressure to slow down so it wouldn't affect the hard brakes log!

·
Banned
532 Posts
"Hard Braking" is the problem and ask them to define what it means where or when it applies, and how they determined for conversational purposes "An allowance factor of 3 hard brakes per month or period".

No matter how much logic a computer has there's no sensory perception logic. So if you see a ball roll on the street between parked cars and brake "hard" you have an automatic penalty because you thought a child might be chasing it. Or, your at a stop sign you've stopped and see a child on a bike looking backwards, you don't see any thing else so you start to proceed then hit the brakes because you see their buddy is speeding up to catch him/her because it's after football or track practice.

Once the plaintiffs lawyer confirms you've had this type device because they subpoenaed if you had one, and it shows 11 hard brakes according to an insurance companies definition of a hard brake and no other legal definition ....."Whose seat are you sitting in now while in the jury box Mr/Mrs/Ms Driver?".

Are you going to remember each hard brake according to the insurance companies standardized definition that you don't know and then explain each while under oath? I'm not a lawyer, insurance agent, officer of the court or paranoia type person but am law abiding and have been through too many interrogatories and affidavits in my line of work, these devices open a pandoras box of unanswered, undefined and open ended ramifications for the enduser. I can't remember church sometimes, am I going to remember a hard brake 2 years ago?.

Just a humble opinion and non-user.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i was going to decline it. basically, they are going to track how many miles you drive and adjust premiums against that data. i informed them that is not a fair way of determining premiums. i may drive alot, but, i'm safer than 85% of the idiots i see on the roadways. i've been in 3 accidents since i was 17 (I'm 47 now). all three have been rear-end collisions - some a-holes right on my bumpers in morning rush hours. one time, a good polish on the bumper removed the black paint they left behind. second one, a new bumper cover, and unfortunately, the third one totalled our Odyssey. Made an "S" out of the car. front end whacked, rear end smashed.

the agent informed me that all they do is get the mileage every quarter. it's sent electronically. I'm going to put them to a test as it stands. i signed up for their 'teen on board' program. same type of device, but supposedly only I can monitor her habits. it will send me a notice if she leaves a predetermined area, goes over a set speed limit i have set, and a bunch of other things. But, the caveat is, insurance company states they don't monitor it at all. by using it, i am entitled for up to a 30% discount on her insurance. so, i'm going to get the thing in the mail...and not plug it in. see if they are really telling the truth or not about it. it's free to get...costs nothing....saves money...is how they market it.
Insurance companies have every right to base their premiums on the number of miles driven and the type of usage of the car. If you are not providing or falisfying that information you could find yourself in denied coverage for an insurance claim based on insurance fraud.

Sorry, but it sounds like you are trying to hide information which will only get your into HUGE insurance problems if discovered by the insurance company.

Larry

·
Registered
326 Posts
fear24,

BTW you might be well served by reading THIS paying close attention to the third common "LIE" told to insurance agents and the potential consequences for same. Your thread here doesn't help your downstream position should this ever become an issue since a defense of "oversight", etc. is sort of out the window.

Larry

1 - 20 of 44 Posts