Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys I have a clean driving record but am 23 and insurance rates for my gs is ridiculas, whats the deal, what are u paying

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Depends on how many years you have been driving,where you live,male/female,single/married....many crazy factors :whistling: Gotta shop around,when I bought my car new last year I got quotes ranging from $122-360 per month
for same coverage!!?? Paying $113 per month now with clean driving record :grin:

·
Registered
810 Posts
I pay 130 a month. Been driving for 12 years, clean record, and I have the policy that dictates that if my car is written off in the first three years of ownership, they put me into a brand new one with no fuss.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I don't know what I pay, as I'm under my mom's insurance... but I did learn today that the way my insurance works, my car's only considered totaled if the cost of ONE incident is 80% or more of the current market value of the car... I could be in 30 major accidents that only cause 70% of the car's value in damage and it still wouldn't be considered totaled LOL

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
80$ a month, fully insured with 1000$ deductible, been driving for a bit less than 10 years. Man that makes me feel old lol. I could find lower if I looked around more. If the car is totalled within 7 years I get a brand new one even if it is more expensive than what I paid initially.

·
Registered
810 Posts
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Jun 13 2010, 09:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332751
I don't know what I pay, as I'm under my mom's insurance... but I did learn today that the way my insurance works, my car's only considered totaled if the cost of ONE incident is 80% or more of the current market value of the car... I could be in 30 major accidents that only cause 70% of the car's value in damage and it still wouldn't be considered totaled LOL
80% of the car's value. A car that's been in 10 accidents is worth significantly less than one without any, therefore each and every accident lowers its value. It would get written off long, long before 30 :D

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
QUOTE (mdsniper7 @ Jun 13 2010, 10:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332735
So guys I have a clean driving record but am 23 and insurance rates for my gs is ridiculas, whats the deal, what are u paying
You're young, the car is small, it's a Hyundai (for some reason Hyundais have always had higher premiums than their competitors from my experience) and it's the cheapest Hyundai at that.  The likelihood of having to write off one of these cars off after an accident is far greater than say, a midsize car. Plus smaller cars pose a higher risk of injuries, that whole laws of physics thing gets us. :mellow:

When you reach 25 as long as you continue to have a clean record, your insurance will drop.

$58/month here for full coverage with $500 collision deductible.  It was closer to $120 when I bought it new and I was single.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are other variables to consider before throwing insurance rates around. Age, most people know about (we are both over 60 with clean records), but where you own your car is another one. We live in rural IL, and the rates are going to be different from what they would be if we lived in Chicago. Also, it's informative to put in the deductible, as a deductible of $1000 (what we carry) will drop the rates way down. We pay about $50 per month per car on an '02 and an '04.

As an aside, most of the advertising about saving a ton of money by changing insurance carriers is bunk- at least for us. We've used the same insurance carrier for over 35 years, so I checked a few of the bigs that advertise on TV. Far from being "$500 per year" different, it was more like "under $100." No way I'd switch for that, with the excellent service we've always received.

·
1,565 Posts
QUOTE (rico567 @ Jun 14 2010, 05:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332815
There are other variables to consider before throwing insurance rates around. Age, most people know about (we are both over 60 with clean records), but where you own your car is another one. We live in rural IL, and the rates are going to be different from what they would be if we lived in Chicago. Also, it's informative to put in the deductible, as a deductible of $1000 (what we carry) will drop the rates way down. We pay about $50 per month per car on an '02 and an '04.
True dat! I went from $55 to $80 back down to $70 where it is now just from moving from VA to NM. All on the same $500 deductible. Don't worry mdsniper, once you hit 25 those insurance rates will be a nice birthday present for you. Just keep your driving record clean. :thumbsup:

Also be aware of discounts such as multi-line and multi-car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts