Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have the OEM Hankook tires on my SE for right now. Changing to different brands of tires, even with the same stated size specs, will usually change a vehicles instrumentation accuracy.

Here are some observations I made on my new, stock SE:

- Fuel gauge has 12 ticks and each represents about 1.5 gal or around 45 miles with my driving.
- After coming off of full, the ticks between full and 1/2 actually indicate less gas per tick than the ones between 1/2 and empty. 1st vehicle I owned that had this trait. Most go down from full to 1/2 slower than from 1/2 to empty. I hit right around 270 - 280 miles when the fuel gauge hits 1/2.
- The average MPG reading is off just about 2 MPG high over a tank compared to manually computing miles / gallons used.
- The odometer is dead nuts on vs. a GPS or mileage markers. Actually, it may report about 0.1 miles less over a 20 miles trip.
- The speedometer is 2 MPH high at almost any speed range from 30 - 70 MPH. This is also vs. a GPS.

Interesting that the odometer is assumingly accurate, but the speedometer isn't. I'm a little disappointed with the speedometer and MPG being off 2mi./gal-hr.

Anyway, I like to know what my instruments are telling me, hence the little analysis............... :auto:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
mine does the 2mph difference as well...unless i hold it at the same speed for some time...then they two (speedometer & gps) will be the nearly identical. it takes awhile for it to happen. my '08 civic is dead on with the digital and gps matching, no matter the speed. i chalk the difference up to how huyndai can get higher mileage...people think they are going 65 mph...but actually only moving 63 or so....hence better mileage. if you are showing 60 mph....you are only traveling at 58 ..... big increase in mileage. just my opinion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (shinigami @ Oct 24 2010, 07:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365997
yes, i noticed this via GPS too.
but i'm guessing that the GPS is the one that's 2 MPH slower than actual.
Haven't tested mine yet but good to know. The MPG thing I found out via manual computation but I somehow trust the car's computer more as it computes actually fuel burn while manual compuation takes into account unburned fuel still in the system. As for the speedo most manufacturers will have their speedos report over actual speed so that your ticket won't be so bad :innocent: . My BMW that I just replaced and my mother's BMW both reported 5 MPH less than GPS indicated ground speed (5MPH exactly on a 1995 and 2007). BMW enthuiasts will tell you this on purpose and I am inclined to believe them as I have hear other manufacturers doing this as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Speedometers are rarely 100% accurate. There was an independent test done a number of years ago and the test data showed that American cars had the most accurate speedometers and European cars were the least accurate, with virtually all of them reading optimistically (i.e., the speed shown was higher than the actual speed). As far as I know, it is actually illegal for the speedometer to show a speed that is slower than the vehicle's actual speed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE (zaqxsw @ Oct 24 2010, 08:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365996
- The average MPG reading is off just about 2 MPG high over a tank compared to manually computing miles / gallons used.
- The odometer is dead nuts on vs. a GPS or mileage markers. Actually, it may report about 0.1 miles less over a 20 miles trip.
- The speedometer is 2 MPH high at almost any speed range from 30 - 70 MPH. This is also vs. a GPS.

Interesting that the odometer is assumingly accurate, but the speedometer isn't. I'm a little disappointed with the speedometer and MPG being off 2mi./gal-hr.

Anyway, I like to know what my instruments are telling me, hence the little analysis............... :auto:
do u think the odometer inaccuracy along with speed would effect the inaccuracy of the computer generated MPG.

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE (sdaume @ Oct 25 2010, 01:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366055
My BMW that I just replaced and my mother's BMW both reported 5 MPH less than GPS indicated ground speed (5MPH exactly on a 1995 and 2007). BMW enthuiasts will tell you this on purpose and I am inclined to believe them as I have hear other manufacturers doing this as well.
If, as you say they "both reported 5 MPH less than GPS indicated ground speed", when you are actually doing 70 mph (and GPS reports 70 mph), the BMW speedometer shows 65 mph? That would be the exact opposite to the Sonata speedo showing 70, but you are actually doing 68.

OP: I have noticed that on my 2011 GLS, the gas gauge works pretty much like other cars I have owned, where it takes *longer* to go from Full to Half Tank, than it does from Half to Empty. I seem to go about 270 miles after a fill-up until I hit half, then at about a quarter tank my trip meter reads around 370-380 miles traveled. I usually fill up at a quarter tank, it lessens the blow to my wallet (under $40, for now). :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts