Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lurked in the forums for the past few months, and I think I've finally found the solution to my instrument cluster issue (thanks to those who have the exact same problem with intermittent Indiglo lights). FTR, I have a 2001 Hyundai Accent GS, a hand-me-down from my soon-to-be brother-in-law. He managed to get by without having the Indiglo lights, but I just can't do it. I prefer to see exactly how fast I'm going after the sun goes down. Like some other users, the Indiglo will come on half an hour into my trip, stay on for 15-30 seconds, then wink out completely for the rest of the time. Not exactly helpful when I'm about to hop on the highway, or when I'm passing a cruiser on the side of the road. Dimmer switch is all the way up and illuminates the trip/total miles gauges as well as the line of the speedometer, but not the MPH numerals themselves. No light around the gas level/temp indicators, either.

I've decided to dive into my dash to rectify this problem, only I'm a little picky about how I'm going about doing this; instead of tearing into my dash to find out the bulb number and then re-assembling it without doing any work (a waste of time, IMO), I'm hoping that I'll be able to find the proper bulb. With the help of YouTube, I've figured out which bulbs need replacing, but I'm not sure which bulbs I should get in order to fix the issue. I'm also going to clean the contacts at the same time. Thankfully the fiancee has plenty of Q-Tips.

My problem is that my local AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts stores don't seem to carry the proper LED lights (T10 SMD) that I need... Not even RadioShack carries them any longer. I've looked on Amazon and I've found some, but I'm not entirely positive these are the right ones. They are blade/wedge LEDs.

I've also sent an email to my semi-local Hyundai dealership about the bulbs, but I highly doubt I'll receive an answer that doesn't include giving them $100 just to have them look at it when I can just as easily do it myself. No thank you.

Am I going in the right direction, Brothers and Sisters Of The Hyundai?

Also, the Haynes Manual said that since I have an airbag, I should disconnect the negative terminal on my battery... they didn't do that in the YouTube vids, so I'm a little wary about that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
if it looks pretty straight forward, then go for it. about the bulb, i cant say anything. and i would also disconnect the battery just to be safe. its not much more work and you never know what will happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, knowing my luck, the airbag will pop open and break my nose.

I've seen other threads about a power inverter being the possible cause, but that's too expensive when one is paying for a wedding, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I watched the YouTube video and scrolled through the comments; found the LED numbers I need and ordered them.

All good.

I hope.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Well, I don't have the Indiglo (the people on Amazon sent me white blades instead of blue *shrugs*) but the cluster is indeed brighter. I can live with it. More than likely, it's a wiring issue that I do not have the skill to tackle.

And like other users, I found that two of the sockets were taped over.

I cleaned the contacts with a bit of rubbing alcohol, and I sprayed some compressed air into the connectors.

·
22,788 Posts
Yeah, knowing my luck, the airbag will pop open and break my nose.
Kinda off topic, but my neighbor had his nose broken by an air bag, but due to a collision. In his particular case, it was an improvement.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i saw a video on youtube and some one put those kinds of bulbs on the knobs for the a/c and fan. i think im going to do that eventually

·
Registered
86 Posts
yeah sry i forgot:
this video is to install a new radio but he shows how to take apart the center console:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtVbNgARpco
there is also a part two if your interested.

this video is about the person switching out the lights on the instrument cluster- LED gauge lighting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N03ei5ZWTQE

the same person from the video above talks about doing the heating a/c panel lights too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOy5p8jTZSo

hope this helps, i know it did for me
btw how much did u spend on the lights? and where did you get them from?

·
Registered
86 Posts
yup i got those too, will be arriving in a couple of weeks :/
i will post pics on this thread when they arrive

1 - 19 of 19 Posts