Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been in the insurance industry for almost 20 years and am curious about something with this new technology becoming more prevalent.

What would be the stance of Hyundai in regards to replacing damaged radars from accidents with used radar/sensors? Are these to be treated like air bags and other safety devices that the practice is frowned upon and discouraged?

Just curious because I have a friend that hers was damaged in an front end collision. The stance of the company I work for is safety items are not to replaced with used parts only OEM parts, but my friend has a claim with a different company and they want to use a used front radar on her vehicle. She is afraid to pick her vehicle up because I’ve told her my stance is if it’s a safety item it should be a new OEM part. But they are not budging and she doesn’t want it to fail on the interstate and risk rear ending someone. What is everyone’s thoughts?

·
Registered
12,425 Posts
What would be the stance of Hyundai in regards to replacing damaged radars from accidents with used radar/sensors?
I would have thought that was obvious. A company that sells new parts, whether it's a radar or a roll pin, isn't likely to encourage anyone to buy used parts from somewhere else. That's nothing to do with safety. It's just good business.

Insadjuster15 said:
The stance of the company I work for is safety items are not to replaced with used parts only OEM parts
My view is the radar isn't a safety item. The driver is supposed to be in control of the car and be aware of what is going on around them. If you rear end someone on the interstate it has happened because YOU were driving too close to the car in front. Doesn't matter whether the car has adaptive cruise control or not...the driver is responsible for maintaining a safe distance from other traffic.

Insadjuster15 said:
She is afraid to pick her vehicle up because....she doesn’t want it to fail on the interstate and risk rear ending someone.
I don't see what she has to be afraid about. The car isn't any less safe if the used radar was to fail than it would be if a new OEM unit was to fail. The risk is the exact same.

·
Registered
44 Posts
"Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel" -- Jim Morrison/The Doors/Roadhouse Blues

AUTOSPARK makes a good point. A failure is a failure no matter who's part. I hate to think anyone is relying on anything other than their attention and reflexes to save them or my kids. Just ask her to "Hang up & Drive"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts