Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I want to purchase a set of splash guards for my Elantra GT GLS. The dealer wants 80.00 plus to install them, says he needs to drill holes. I only see two screws per wheel so looks like the holes already exist?...Has anyone performed this installation? THX

·
22,788 Posts
Dig a little deeper. Do some investigative work (which this thread should help).

Not sure about the GT. On the sedan, the Hyundia OEM guards simply install into the 3 existing holes that are from the factory. Simple install. Chinese after market guards require drilling.

If your dealer says it takes drilling a hole to mount them, have him show you the AUTHENTIC Hyundai box they came in. Make sure he's not trying to put sedan guards on your GT. Not without your awareness AND approval. Then, I'd be okay with the drilling of a hole if you're okay with the price.

If they AREN'T original Hyundai aftermarket guards, RUN! Can't imagine a Hyundai dealer putting on garbage aftermarket parts!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I just installed a set. You have to drill NO, NADA, ZERO holes at all. You use existing holes and you are provided with new hardware. Very simple installation. You only have to turn the front wheels to install the fronts and no jacking is requires. But try here for Half the price.

·
22,788 Posts
Yep! Thought so. Look OEM if they are Hyundai Mobis parts! Seller is a "Hyundai Accessory" provider. Can't imagine them NOT being OEM. And $40 for a set of 4 is a lot better than $80...and a drill hole. That drilling concept really bothers me.

And you're correct on the "ease of installation." It's not that bad. I did mine...small Phillips screwdriver. If the OP hasn't access to small bits, it'd be easier to remove the rear wheels for those guards to be installed. Front wheels, as you alluded to, are easy! Just turn the wheel the opposite directions to allow plenty of access.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The trick is to use a Phillips #3 bit inserted into the box side of a combination wrench, even though instructions say #2. The bit will not slip out of the screw head.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just installed a set. You have to drill NO, NADA, ZERO holes at all. You use existing holes and you are provided with new hardware. Very simple installation. You only have to turn the front wheels to install the fronts and no jacking is requires. But try here for Half the price.
That's where I got mine. Tried with an offset phillips to install and it took WAY too long to get the first two screws out (and that's the easy part) so I abandoned it until I had the time to jack it up and take off the wheels. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try with the front wheels turned. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just pointed the tires straight ahead and used my poor man's ratchet wrench. It may be slow, but I didn't need to remove wheels nor put it on stands. Good luck.

·
22,788 Posts
"When all else fails, read the forum instructions!" Smarter, not harder. LOL I found it would take longer to remove/reinstall the wheels than it does to install all four guards. But the look is so worth it. And the benefits derived, cosmetically as well as functionally, is worth every cent paid. Possibly more! :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts