Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to be able to use my steering wheel audio controls again. I an 06 with the standard 4 button controls (volume up, down, mute, and mode) and a Pioneer FH-X700BT. I have been on the PAC site and it looks like the PAC SWI-RC is the correct module to restore the factory controls and there are some instructions for it.
iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future
The only thing I am a little wonky on is where the plug it refers to is located. Is it under the steering wheel cover, a separate plug by the one you connect to when installing the aftermarket radio, or is it actually part of this that it is referring to? I just want to know what I am getting into before I but the unit.

I also posted this in the audio/video/electronics forum but I was thinking about changing the controls so the MODE button will answer incoming calls and the MUTE button will skip to the next track. I believe all the controls are programmable with the PAC unit, but am not sure. Not sure if anyone has done this before.

Before anyone gets on me about it, I DID use the search function but everything that come up was talking about switching out the 6 button remote for the 4 button one and compatibility between the 06 and 07 model. The threads just confused me more.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
That plug is the one that plugs into the factory radio. On my Sonata it's plugged into an adapter that's spliced to the aftermarket radio's plug. I don't know if you'll be able to "remap" the buttons as you describe. It's been a few years since I programmed mine, but I remember some combination of switch the ignition on, apply the brake, rub your belly, pat your head, ... to put the PAC into program mode. IIRC, you press a remote button, wait for the light to flash and proceed to the next button.

The PAC I used was quite different, though; YMMV.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That plug is the one that plugs into the factory radio. On my Sonata it's plugged into an adapter that's spliced to the aftermarket radio's plug. I don't know if you'll be able to "remap" the buttons as you describe. It's been a few years since I programmed mine, but I remember some combination of switch the ignition on, apply the brake, rub your belly, pat your head, ... to put the PAC into program mode. IIRC, you press a remote button, wait for the light to flash and proceed to the next button.

The PAC I used was quite different, though; YMMV.
Okay should be easy then. I have worked with the stereo wiring plenty of times, but just didn't know if this was the connector the instructions referred to.

This is what made me think I may be able to customize the controls (from the instructions I linked):

3. The SWI-RC must be programmed in the specific order shown in the chart below. If a function is not needed, it may be skipped.

Pioneer
Programming order for
SWI-RC N/A
1 Volume Up
2 Volume Down
3 Mute
4 Preset +
5 Preset -
6 Source
7 Track Up
8 Track Down
9 Band
10 Phone Menu
11 Answer Call
12 End Call
13 Voice Activation

4. With the LED on, press your steering wheel button until the light goes out and hold for one second more.

5. Release and the LED should come back on. If it does not please double check all connections and verify for correct version programming.

6. Repeat step 4 and 5 to program additional steering wheel buttons in the order corresponding to the chart above for your SWI interface.

7. If you come across a command in the chart that your steering wheel does not have, or you do not want to program, press the Program Button on the side of the SWI interface.

8. The LED will flash once rapidly and then stay on confirming that you have successfully skipped that command and are ready for the next button.

Hopefully it works!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I had an FX-800BT installed in my Sonata and the PAC-SWI instructions were the same as posted above. Keep in mind it can be kinda a pain in the arse to do it, but once you get it it's done. read over those instructions and know them by heart, it will make it go easier. It took me about 3-4 tries before mine finally got programmed. It just goes quick and you gotta be on it. Good luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update. I installed the PAC with no issues. Very simple and straight forward install if you follow the instructions (and I love doing audio and electronics work on my car). I WAS able to program the controls as I liked. Just have to skip through some of the commands as per the instructions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm installing a Kenwood in my 2007 Sonata and have a similar question.

So the imagine in the OP refers to the CAR side of the plug, correct? So I will need to cut wires 18 and 19 on the car side of the plug, and splice my wires into them? I ask because on the adapter plug that I am wiring up to my new deck, there are no wires or plugs interfacing to wires 18 and 19 on the factory plug.

Very confused. There is only volume up, volume down, and mode buttons on my steering wheel -- wondering if I should go through all this hassle just to save those features!

Thanks!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Never cut wires or use butt connectors. Splice back some insulation, wrap around the wire then solder. Or separate the strands and thread the wire your adding to and then twist the strands. (Like threading a needle) then solder.

Just worry about the factory harness your piggy backing on those for the steering wheel controls. The PAC will use them once you wire the rest of it in...

Your kenwood deck will have the steering wheel CONTROL WIRE for the pac (single wire)

http://www.pac-audio.com/SWI/SWIApp...=SWI-RC&swiRadioManu=Kenwood&swiOptions=Radio

1 - 7 of 7 Posts