Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have oil catch can but I was not sure which lines need to connect to oil catch can but did see one of you did but that person didn't show completed take off the engine cover. If you installed done and would you show the pictures where lines should connect to oil catch can. Would help me out!

Thanks!

Drive-Hyundai Tucson 1.6T Night (US)

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
A turbo should have two catch cans. But the main one should go inline between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. Better to mount the can low and cold.

On the turbo side, there should be one from the pre turbo intake track to the valve cover. This should not collect much and it is pure oil that is collected, unlike the water gas mix from the PCV side. But you do not want oil on your turbine or to collect in the intercooler.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Huh?

I don't understand? You mean I don't need catch oil can for my Tucson?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
, But you do not want oil on your turbine or to collect in the intercooler.
You may not want that but as you rack up the miles that very well may be what you are going to get to varying degrees, as your seals wear on the compressor side oil enters the intake stream, better for it to collect in the intake plumbing and intercooler than to be passed into cylinder, when those seals begin to leak your intercooler begins to acts like a gnormous catch can and oil tends to collect in the lower points of the intake plumbing.

What will be interesting as to what the avg miles of the Theta II with turbo needs a turbo rebuild/replacement. Studies show that oil droplets in the cc are a cause of lspi aka super knock.

Seals are the primary reason for turbo replacement/rebuilds, I've never heard that a small amount of oil causes any harm to the turbo vanes, given the heat under which they operate.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
The oil in the pre turbo side depends on the amount of blowby you get. When the PCV vavle closes then any pressure in the crankcase has to go out this hose. The internal paths for the two sides is not the same. So the pre turbo side gets oil and the intake side gets gas/water.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The oil in the pre turbo side depends on the amount of blowby you get. When the PCV vavle closes then any pressure in the crankcase has to go out this hose. The internal paths for the two sides is not the same. So the pre turbo side gets oil and the intake side gets gas/water.
I don't understand what you mean by "the pre turbo side gets oil and the intake side gets gas/water."

Both pcv systems on a turbo are designed to remove crankcase gases, often referred to a blow by . The primary system is disabled at a certain level of boost , usually by a check valve to prevent pressurization of the crankcase, at that point the secondary pcv provides vacuum from point on the intake stream before the turbo.

You may get more water and gas condensation on the primary PVC because it's in use more but there should be oil as well.

On some turbo cars a oil trap or extractor is used to condense oil and return it ti the crankcase.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
The pre turbo side is just an open hose to the valve cover. The PCV valve will have some sort of baffling so it does not pick up the oil mist and draws vapor for the crank case.

On a naturally aspirated engine there is no need for the valve cover side can unless there is tons of blowby from worn rings.

It's just what I've found running catch cans on my genesis Coupe. The contents of the turbo side are pure oil from the mist being pushed out. The PCV side is a yellow mix of water and gs and will evaporate with little or no residue.

here's a pic or what I get out or my cans over a 5k mile period in the summer. The dark layer on top is oil from the pre turbo side and the other mess is from the PCV valve side.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
What I've seen on non GDI engines under the valve cover as a baffle is just a plate - but I guess it must be somewhat effective in condensing the oil vapors ? On turbo cars such as Volvos and Saabs an external oil trap was used but on the pcv on the pre turbo side, the blowby and oil not much of a concern going back into the intake stream from the pcv driven by manifold vacuum.

You get more blow by under boosted conditions, so maybe that is why you are seeing more oil from the pre turbo system, but a fair amount of blow by occurs when na engines are cold , not sure what you mean by the "valve cover side can" . On a GDI engine the concept is to try and keep the intake valves clean, be it forced or na.

I have one catch can installed on the intake manifold driven PCV system, might consider putting one on the pre turbo side, but seeing minimal oil consumption at present, any oil would in all probability be condensed in the intercooler, have seen older turbo cars with extensive blow by and generally the oil does collect in the intercooler or low points of the intake systems - and doesn't usually cause a lot of issues. And I've never heard of a turbo failure caused by oil from the PCV feed ruining the blades.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The oil does not vaporize, it is tiny little droplets. To vaporize oil you need to be around 500F-600F.
con·dense

make (something) denser or more concentrated.

you don't have to vaporize something to condense it , not sure where vaporization entered the discussion.

Would be interested in hearing from others with dual catch cans on turbos if they see similar results from their catch cans, with the caveat they are non modified stock engines in relatively good condition.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just installed mine on Wednesday afternoon. I driving after few days later until yesterday check the anything in oil catch can and I noticed brownish and some other stuff mixing liquid inside of can. That mean I am doing right thing also, I can tell my throttle respond better and engine running smoothing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it better to catch can the hose on the first photo or 2nd photo?
I did installed two oil catch cans for engine and turbocharger.

So engine use alot of oil than turbocharger just little bit.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've been contemplating installing the following oil catch tanks and trying to determine best location for installation;

Saikou Michi Co oil catch tank S1-GEN38-S (this company has been great with providing information and do believe product to be well thought out)
http://www.saikoumichi.com/internal_baffle_design.html

NRG oil catch tank (installed in Hyundai Genesis Coupe)
ADD W1
Installation of oil catch can in 2017 Tucson;

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've been contemplating installing the following oil catch tanks and trying to determine best location for installation;

Saikou Michi Co oil catch tank S1-GEN38-S (this company has been great with providing information and do believe product to be well thought out)
Saikou Michi Co. Design

NRG oil catch tank (installed in Hyundai Genesis Coupe)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmAQwiOY3rI
ADD W1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXYl6cQPuCs
Installation of oil catch can in 2017 Tucson;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wf98W96OKM
The install on the '17 Tucson is too high as far as I'm concerned.....The can should be lower than the PCV valve hose so it drains properly....but what do I know....

·
Registered
379 Posts
HDHyundiaGuy, thanks for recommendation of installing / placement oil catch tank lower than PCV valve.

I've since been told the same regarding locating ideal location to mount oil catch tank;

"The general rule is to avoid being right next to the exhaust manifold due to the heat. Cooler is better.
Also, the tank should be lower than the valve cover, but the most important factor is to avoid dips in the hose so that it does not pool fluid in the line"

·
Registered
379 Posts
HDHyundiaGuy / SuperHybrid101, photos showing location of where you have installed oil catch can, would be appreciated if available.

·
Registered
515 Posts
HDHyundiaGuy / SuperHybrid101, photos showing location of where you have installed oil catch can, would be appreciated if available.
I had pictures posted and a write up on the install but ****, I cant find the post now....Maybe someone else can locate it.....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts