Hyundai Forums banner

Installing LED lights

4K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  My2011SantaFe 
#1 ·
Hi folks, first time forum user here so please excuse the following noob question, and moderators feel free to move this discussion to another thread if more appropriate:

I'm trying to install LED low beam bulbs on my 2011 Santa Fe Limited. This is the first time I'm replace the headlights on this SUV. When I took the headlight assembly out, I noticed that there are 2 yellow wire connectors coming from inside the assembly. On the LED light bulb assembly, there is a red and black wire connector. How do I know which yellow wire connects to the red and black, respectively? There are no indicators on the yellow connectors specifying which is which. Or does it matter and am I over-thinking this? This might actually be more a straight-up electrical question, lol. Appreciate any insights anyone may have.

Auto part Engine Automotive lighting Fuel line Tire

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I do know that On my Sonata, the fog light polarity did matter, red to positive black to negative, measure the polarity with a meter.
Reverse polarity could damage the LEDS and driver assemblies. If polarity didn't matter, the wires shouldn't be color coded, they would both be black likely.

Reactions: Crabmushrooms5
#5 ·
I don't have a meter on hand, but that would obviously help. I haven't checked the fog light and high beam lights. Now I'm curious to find out what color wires they are. Last thing I want to do is damage the LEDs and driver assemblies. Both being black makes sense if polarity didn't matter. All the more curious why the low beam wires are both yellow.

#6 ·
I believe those are the ones I have as well. I'm on my second set. My first one lasted about a year and one of the LED was burnt out. So far, my second set has lasted about 6 months and so far so good.

Again, I don't remember being careful or looking for polarity when I connected mine. I was careful with my first set and just like you, trying to figure out where red and black wires go but I read it somewhere in this forum that polarity doesn't matter so I don't pay attention to that anymore.

I don't have any info about the fogs or high beam.

#8 ·
I believe those are the ones I have as well. I'm on my second set. My first one lasted about a year and one of the LED was burnt out. So far, my second set has lasted about 6 months and so far so good.

Again, I don't remember being careful or looking for polarity when I connected mine. I was careful with my first set and just like you, trying to figure out where red and black wires go but I read it somewhere in this forum that polarity doesn't matter so I don't pay attention to that anymore.

I don't have any info about the fogs or high beam.
Hm, the first ones burnt out that quickly? That doesn't give me much confidence in installing them, lol. Thanks for the info about the polarity. Let me see if I can find that forum that talks about polarity not mattering.

#7 ·
If you have a harbor freight near you, you can get a cheap(sometimes free with coupon) meter from them.

#12 ·
If I get a chance this weekend, I will take a look at what I did when I rewired mine. I went a little different and installed a standard H11 connector so I could utilize the normal H11 bulbs (and in my case, LED's) to save on the cost. If the weather here improves, I should have an answer within a day or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.