Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already installed a set of 6000k HIDs in my low beam of my headlights as I hate that dull yellowish color of stock bulbs, so my question is if you installed say 8000k HIDs in your High beam/DTRL location would your bulbs light as the 8000k HIDs when in DTRL mode or still stay dull yellowish until high beams are physically switched on? Thanks

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
HIDs will not work in the high beams due to the DRL and even if the DRL was not a factor, they still would not give you the improvement you're looking for as HIDs require a lengthy warm-up time and frequent/rapid cycling dramatically shortens the life of the ballast and bulb. Save yourself the time and money and upgrade the halogen bulbs. I've never looked back from the Osram Night Breakers in my high beams.

·
Registered
439 Posts
HIDs will not work in the high beams due to the DRL and even if the DRL was not a factor, they still would not give you the improvement you're looking for as HIDs require a lengthy warm-up time and frequent/rapid cycling dramatically shortens the life of the ballast and bulb. Save yourself the time and money and upgrade the halogen bulbs. I've never looked back from the Osram Night Breakers in my high beams.
yes, this is true. You must turn off your DRL in order to use it and it is not worthy to have HID in the hights because how you gonna flash them?! It takes few secs to burn ballast on and you will simply damage your HID kit...My news just installed 8000K HID kit into his Gx460 on fogs and highs, and have flickering issues right afre even I told him do not do it...or use extra harness with relay etc...new generation doesnt want to hear the words....anyways, as Lovemysantefe said, get some good halogen bulbs and it would be way better..you can match your 6000K color as well so it will look nice...

·
Registered
821 Posts
yes, this is true. You must turn off your DRL in order to use it and it is not worthy to have HID in the hights because how you gonna flash them?! It takes few secs to burn ballast on and you will simply damage your HID kit...
I installed them and they flash just fine. I think once all of the replaying old information around here stops the sooner we'll be better for it. In some places they still sell the analog ballasts with the HID kits. But since going to Digital Ballasts I haven't seen the same issues anymore. They are real easy to see the difference on as well. The old analog ballasts are silver with stamped metal covers on both sides. The digital ballasts are about 2/3rds smaller and are all aluminum painted black and look like heat-sinks since they have small fins on them. Since going to these they "flash" just fine in 3 of my cars and have been in use for more than 5 years in the Jeep. Yes they still take a second to warm up but the initial flash is fully intense before the cool warmup on them. There are 6 HID bulbs in the Elantra, 4 in the suburban (99) and 4 in the Jeep and not one has failed in the time they have been installed. So considering we have 14 ballasts in play at my home I'd say shortening life, not bright enough when flashing etc has gone the way of the Dodo as had analog ballasts.

If you have analog ballasts then I suggest you upgrade. You can buy then separately at DDMTuning. Now. I have used analog ballasts in the past and they are plain junk. I have a set of 6k 35 watt 9007 sets for the Jeep from back in the day. I replaced them some 5 years ago for the digital style because when I turned them on the lights gradually changes to what would typically be something around 3500 in color temp, yes almost yellow. I figured the bulbs couldn't be it since they were still actually throwing light so I ordered a new set of 6k digital rigs from DDM and left one of the old bulbs in. Sure enough they were exactly the same color as the new one on a digital ballast. The issue was the analogs. I keep the old bulbs as spares in the cargo area in the jeep just in case I lose a bulb since that truck goes off road all the time. But in the 5 years I have had into the new ones I haven't needed them. So there they sit in foam wraps in a toolbox back there.

Analog

Digital.

Doesn't matter if you go 35 or 55 watt. Stay away from any of the analog ballasts and companies that try to sell them to you

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
lol, I think years down the road they're going to look back and see most of the aftermarket HID stuff from these earlier years of the 2000's as one of the biggest scam and hype/spin controversies. OEM HID is good, but so much of this aftermarket is ludicrous, running the gamut from poor functionality to downright unsafe. There is literally nothing wrong with updated/upgraded halogen technology.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I installed them and they flash just fine. I think once all of the replaying old information around here stops the sooner we'll be better for it. In some places they still sell the analog ballasts with the HID kits. But since going to Digital Ballasts I haven't seen the same issues anymore. They are real easy to see the difference on as well. The old analog ballasts are silver with stamped metal covers on both sides. The digital ballasts are about 2/3rds smaller and are all aluminum painted black and look like heat-sinks since they have small fins on them. Since going to these they "flash" just fine in 3 of my cars and have been in use for more than 5 years in the Jeep. Yes they still take a second to warm up but the initial flash is fully intense before the cool warmup on them. There are 6 HID bulbs in the Elantra, 4 in the suburban (99) and 4 in the Jeep and not one has failed in the time they have been installed. So considering we have 14 ballasts in play at my home I'd say shortening life, not bright enough when flashing etc has gone the way of the Dodo as had analog ballasts.

If you have analog ballasts then I suggest you upgrade. You can buy then separately at DDMTuning. Now. I have used analog ballasts in the past and they are plain junk. I have a set of 6k 35 watt 9007 sets for the Jeep from back in the day. I replaced them some 5 years ago for the digital style because when I turned them on the lights gradually changes to what would typically be something around 3500 in color temp, yes almost yellow. I figured the bulbs couldn't be it since they were still actually throwing light so I ordered a new set of 6k digital rigs from DDM and left one of the old bulbs in. Sure enough they were exactly the same color as the new one on a digital ballast. The issue was the analogs. I keep the old bulbs as spares in the cargo area in the jeep just in case I lose a bulb since that truck goes off road all the time. But in the 5 years I have had into the new ones I haven't needed them. So there they sit in foam wraps in a toolbox back there.

Analog

Digital.

Doesn't matter if you go 35 or 55 watt. Stay away from any of the analog ballasts and companies that try to sell them to you

oh...you are mistaken. That "newest" ballast you are referring to is the old type of ballast using separate ignitor vs built in one on the "old" type....d1s which is the stock one on avante has separate ignitor as well. The newest ballast is 35W, 55W or 75W nowdays. There is no such things as digital ballast.:D Which is the best I will say I would prefer the old school one: hella gen 3 no matter what. I use this DIY HID OEM kit for 14 years and never even had any single issue, vs any other no-name HID kits. The newest ballast has also can-bus module protecting the vehicles stock harness, but even you can see that ours needs capacitors otherwise the ballast wont turn on...

The best choice for having HID on highs is bi-xenon projectors. I hope your hid kit will survive for long....;)

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
forgot the FYI: I just leave the DRLs off on my stalk. If I didn't the highbeams act as strobes.
OP lives in Canada where DRLs are mandatory by law and cannot be disabled.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts