Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has the Dimension system in her car but wants a little extra bass from her music. I bought a 10" Kicker CompVR and a Kicker 43CXA300.1 mono sub amp. I am gonna run the sub at 2ohms to get the full 300+ watts out of the amp. I also picked up a Scosche LOC80 to get signal to the amp. I have seen several threads and videos of amplifier installs on the Sonata. All of them have the LOC tapped either into the speaker harness that runs along the driver's side door sill or to the rear speakers. They also have the remote wire tapped into the fuse panel under the dash board. My questions is, can I just tap all the wires into the existing factory amp that's located in the trunk? I was able to do it that way on my 2015 Veloster Turbo without any issues. I assume I could do the same thing with the Sonata as well. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? *crickets*

None of you have ever installed an aftermarket amplifier while keeping the factory head unit?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I haven't, but I like the way you think. That should work if there are wires in the rear leading to an AMP. I would assume it's just a line level signal going there.

·
Registered
941 Posts
That's a basic install option, and the easiest.

If you're going to use the lines in the trunk at the factory amp then you would want to use the input wires from the head unit going into the amp, not the output from the amp. The output signals will be amplified and not suitable for a basic LOC such as you are talking about.

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
Anyone? *crickets*

None of you have ever installed an aftermarket amplifier while keeping the factory head unit?

Well, I dunno about that, but I had a SCOSCHE 4 channel converter in a blue plastic box many years ago, and they can be subject to a lot of hum (because they don't know the words..:confused:)

If you got away with it in your Veloster, so much the better. And, hum isn't a big deal at low frequencies as much as higher ones. But the best thing to do with these is to ground the headunit, the Scosche box, and the amp (your amp) all to the same point. This will eliminate a lot of noise that may be induced into the system. You may also want to include the power ground to the Dimension amp as well.

Yes...just to clarify...I am talking POWER grounds here...

·
Registered
582 Posts
The signal from the head unit to the amp is transmitted using a spdif format. I previously used the line level signal from the amp with no issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts