Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my 2000 Elantra from a friend of mine. There was no stereo in it, he told me it had gotten stolen a while back. I will assume it wasn't the factory installed stereo, cuz who would steal those??...anyway, after weeks of trying to find a piggy tail harness for what is in the car to no avail. A mechanic friend of mind suggested "go old school and lets just hard wire it". We cut the harness off. (Big mistake, but what's done is done) so after blowing a bunch of fuses, I was able to find the Constant wire, the acc wire...here's where it gets tricky...there are 4 ground wires coming from car harness wires....however it doen't matter which one you hook up to the new stereo with all three of these connected the new stereo powers up. Originally, we were able to get 3 of 4 speakers to work, but that was before we found the acc wire and nothing was rigged up properly. Again after fixing some fuses the acc wire was found. But now I can't get any sound from ANY of the car speakers. There are the red/white plug in type connectors in the back of the new stereo and I was able to hook up a small speaker using those and the new radio plays thru that connection. I have been told that there might be some type of amp or other external component that the speakers power thru...however I haven't been able to determine this or not. All I know is there is SOMETHING in between the speakers and the new stereo preventing sound. It is possible with all the fuse blowing we have done that if there is some other component, I have more than likely destroyed it.
The question would be....does anyone know if 2000 Elantra's 5 speed have any amps or anything else that the speakers might hook up thru and if you do know, where would this device be located (I have looked in the trunk, there is nothing back there) AND if this is the problem can whatever it is be bypassed?? I appreciate ANY suggestions to this issue.

·
Registered
941 Posts
after weeks of trying to find a piggy tail harness for what is in the car to no avail. A mechanic friend of mind suggested "go old school and lets just hard wire it". We cut the harness off. (Big mistake, but what's done is done)
Sorry kid but you couldn't find a harness within weeks of searching? Did you use google? "2000 elantra radio harness" --> About 320,000 results (0.56 seconds)

Metra 71-7300 Hyundai 1990-2001 OEM Harness

You never cut off the factory plug. Your friend isn't much of a mechanic if that was his advice.

Clearly if you were "able to find the Constant wire, the acc wire." you don't really know what you are doing. Those two wires are always the same color, every wire there is color coded to industry standards and looking anywhere on the internet you would have instantly known which wires you were +12v and accessory wires without blowing all kinds of fuses.

HYUNDAI Car Radio Stereo Audio Wiring Diagram Autoradio connector wire installation schematic schema esquema de conexiones stecker konektor connecteur cable shema

Good luck.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,269 Posts
Your friend isn't much of a mechanic if that was his advice.
Sounds to me like his friend is a pretty typical mechanic. Tried to do a simple auto electrical job and completely botched it up. :surprise:

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I like to use Crutchfield.com for car stereos. They have good advice and all the parts you need. Great customer service too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's see. Google searching was about as helpful as your comment. It is NOT "standard" wiring.My constant is a red white stripe wire, my acc power is orange so please advise me with more of your knowledge on wire standards! I have google searched NOTHING that matches the configuration of my wires. It's a 14 pin. Yeah you would think that would narrow it down, it DOESN'T. Being that I bought and RETURNED 5 harness adapters from local stores, I wasn't about to buy one ONLINE sight unseen, to have to figure out how to return them. Google search also brought me to this forum. Thank you for your comment but I know what IS wrong, was hoping to get advice on how to FIX it.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,269 Posts
It is NOT "standard" wiring.
Your right. In my experience there isn't any standard with these early Hyundai cars. I think they just wired things up with the first colour that came to hand.

The one colour you can be fairly sure of is the ground. That will almost certainly be black. The other wires that you think are grounds wont be. Those wires will be getting a ground through some other circuit but aren't actually connected directly to ground. I'd be willing to bet one of those other "grounds" becomes a 12V supply when you switch the tail lights on for example....assuming you haven't already blown the tail light fuse by connecting that wire to the radio's ground wire. There will also be an illumination return wire which will show as a ground too, but it's usually a ground via the dash illumination rheostat. So that's 3 of your "grounds" accounted for. I'm not sure what the 4th one will be though. UK models had an electric aerial so that might be the 4th "ground", which is a ground via the electric aerial relay coil?

So, eliminating the two power supplies and the four "grounds", you should only be left with the 8 speaker wires. It's quite easy to ID what wires go to what speaker and there are a few ways you can do it. The safest method is to use an Ohmmeter :

Connect one of the wires to the black meter probe then touch the red probe to the remaining 7 wires one at a time. When the red probe touches the other wire that is connected to the same speaker as the first wire, you will get a reading on the meter (probably 4ish Ohms). Now tape those two wires together so you know they are a speaker pair.

Connect the black probe to one of the remaining 6 wires and touch the red probe to the remaining 5 as before. When you get a reading, you've identified another speaker pair.

Repeat the process for the remaining wires.

The other way you can ID the speaker wires is pretty much the same as above, but use a AA or AAA battery rather than the Ohmmeter. When you touch a pair of speaker wires across the battery you'll hear the speaker crackle.

The other way is you use the radio's constant 12V power supply and a 12V test lamp. Connect one end of the test lamp to the 12V supply. Connect the other end to one of the speaker wires, then touch each of the other wires to ground. When you touch the other half of the pair to ground, the test light will illuminate and you'll hear the speaker crackle.

Hopefully that will help you get the tunes working.

Regards.
Scottie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts