Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K&N came out with the cold air intake system for the ‘15-‘18 2.4L engines. It’s product number K&N 69-5321TS. Pricey to say the least, but it certainly does what it says. Performs a lot better than the one I custom built last year.

It produces a deeper growl than my custom made one also. Not sure on gas mileage yet but this thing definitely woke up.

The kit is complete with the air tube, connections for the vacuum and pcv lines, heat shield and couplers. It was a bit of a pain to install but the result is worth the effort.

They sent results from the dyno in the intake kit and they say it adds over 5 horses and over 8 lb-ft of torque based off a 2018 Sonata 2.4. Very impressed with the product despite the price. Pictures down below and a video in the future.

Cheers!

Reactions: slangza

·
Registered
772 Posts
Nice! The air box looks more "closed" than my AEM intake that they had fitted on my 18'. Granted that mine was free, I cant really complain, but post the dyno results if you have any. I wanna compare them to the AEM box I got.

Reactions: forgeinaz

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! The air box looks more "closed" than my AEM intake that they had fitted on my 18'. Granted that mine was free, I cant really complain, but post the dyno results if you have any. I wanna compare them to the AEM box I got.

Was it you who experimented with the prototype K&N intakes? I think those dyno results they sent me are from your Sonata!

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Looks like a factory fit.Looks easy to install.What made the install a pain?What was the cost?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a factory fit.Looks easy to install.What made the install a pain?What was the cost?

It was $314.99 on the K&N website. The main issue was that the couplers were a little tight and required a lot of force to get the tube to fit properly. A lot of readjustments were needed to get everything just right which took some time and effort and some quarts of sweat. I haven’t let it open up too much yet but a little throttle went a long way.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Looks good but does it void your warranty?? Thanks p

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good but does it void your warranty?? Thanks p

Under the Magnuson & Moss Act no manufacturer can void one’s warranty because of an aftermarket part, of course they have to prove that the aftermarket part would be the cause. For example, I take it to the dealer to get my oil changed and the techs see the intake, nothing can be said about it because I didn’t file any complaints. If a problem arose in which the intake caused it and the dealer found proof, then the warranty could be void.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Under the Magnuson & Moss Act no manufacturer can void one’s warranty because of an aftermarket part, of course they have to prove that the aftermarket part would be the cause. For example, I take it to the dealer to get my oil changed and the techs see the intake, nothing can be said about it because I didn’t file any complaints. If a problem arose in which the intake caused it and the dealer found proof, then the warranty could be void.
Thanks / Cheers p

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Looks pretty clean and the box looks to be pretty closed off, better than the yf anyway which will help with heat and hopefully draw more of the air from the factory CAI tube and not the hot engine bay air. I wonder why they don't just make a closed box that hooks up to the factory CAI. I would think that would only help their performance numbers.

·
Registered
861 Posts
They sent results from the dyno in the intake kit and they say it adds over 5 horses and over 8 lb-ft of torque based off a 2018 Sonata 2.4.
At what rpm, throttle opening and speed? Did they send the dyno chart?

Is the "filter" always uncovered as in the picture?

Is the stock front air intake connected to the filter box?

BTW, the stock setup is a CAI.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Was it you who experimented with the prototype K&N intakes? I think those dyno results they sent me are from your Sonata!
Yeah i brought my 18' to K&N, but my box looks completely different and is marketed as an AEM intake. I personally like yours better the way there is rubber around the whole of the box blocking out engine air better than mine.

I still have yet to upload my intake review/pics, just been busy moving houses and with work.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At what rpm, throttle opening and speed? Did they send the dyno chart?

Is the "filter" always uncovered as in the picture?

Is the stock front air intake connected to the filter box?

BTW, the stock setup is a CAI.

I can’t remember for sure what the engine ranges were for the dyno but the filter doesn’t have a cover so it is technically open but the other surrounding components seem to be a good seal. The stock front air intake isn’t connected however the rubber edge trim is in between the intake and the opening of the heat shield, also providing a good seal.

I have the intake particularly to dress up the engine bay and get some better gas mileage than the one I built, I actually rode around town after work and the city mileage is a little better than average. Typical stop and go traffic for me ranges from 17-19 mpg but today in the same traffic I got 20-22 mpg. A slight increase but I’d like to see how the highway mileage treats me. I’d hope to get more than 36 mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
861 Posts
the filter doesn’t have a cover so it is technically open...The stock front air intake isn’t connected
Then it's not a CAI as it looks to draw in hot, under hood air rather than outside cooler air.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Then it's not a CAI as it looks to draw in hot, under hood air rather than outside cooler air.

Whatever it is it does the job

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
How can anybody get any more mileage/power out of just an added intake w/o different mapping as the factory ecu is programmed a specific way as to keep the A/F ratios in a specific range at specific RPM's?

I'll also say that if you see 3 mpg increase with the intake, every new car would have it as standard equipment, noise or no noise.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How can anybody get any more mileage/power out of just an added intake w/o different mapping as the factory ecu is programmed a specific way as to keep the A/F ratios in a specific range at specific RPM's?

I'll also say that if you see 3 mpg increase with the intake, every new car would have it as standard equipment, noise or no noise.

Your guess is as good as mine but it does what it’s supposed to do. Only more highway driving will determine the improvement of gas mileage

·
Registered
772 Posts
the filter doesn’t have a cover so it is technically open...The stock front air intake isn’t connected
Im assuming the open top has the rubber seals to meet with the underside of the hood, making it more of a closed box. Not sure if it counts as a CAI but definitely not as simple as it looks.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
It would only be a CAI if it pulled air from outside the engine compartment.
Looking at the pics, even if the box seals against the underside of the hood, it pulls air from next to the ECU and battery area so it is still heated by the engine.
With no attachment to the air scoop from the front of the hood, there is no way for any sort of cool air to get to the cone filter.
It would have been great if they could have made it connect to the scoop coming from the front of the hood area.

Not saying it's a bad thing, but it is definitely a WAI.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts