Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this over at ebay for $30 and installed today.

Car Door Auto Noise Rubber Sealing Strip 2pcs Fit Hyundai 2012 2013 Santa FE DM | eBay

It is a set of rubber strip that goes in between door to seal and reduce outside noise. Installation is very simple and took me less than 10 minutes to get done. Do I feel the difference after the install? I'd like to think so but it is hard to tell, so I tested.

I ran a same course 4 times; twice without the strip, and twice with the strip installed, and measured noise level at idle, 40mph, and 70mph. AC was off and noise level was measured while I was running on cruise control. The road was isolated with minimal traffic to reduce possible interference from other cars. and... here is the result. They were fluctuating ±1~2 but I averaged.

Before:
0mph - 60dB
40mph - 73dB
70mph - 80dB

After the install:
0mph - 60dB
40mph - 72dB (Difference = 0.5~1)
70mph - 79dB (Difference = 1~1.5)

So yes, there definitely was a difference in number though it's not distinct. Maybe 0.5~1dB. Is it worth the money? I don't know honestly. It is your call :)

Some photos:

This is what I used to measure noise level. Can't say it is accurate but good enough for relative comparison :)

·
2,258 Posts
most of your noise will be coming the tires within the wheel wells, and noise entering from the cabin pressure release flaps.

if you want to really reduce the sound - start by spraying your wheel well splash guards. hit them with a bed liner style coating. the rest of the noise is wind hitting the windshield, grille, side view mirrors, and outside noise coming in from the pressure release flaps behind the rear bumper. door jamb weather stripping is really only to keep water out.

·
2,258 Posts
For $30, this hardly seems worth the effort.
agreed.

$30 could have gotten 23 songs from iTunes/Google Play to drown out any wind noise! lol

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, on a side note... nice door striker caps. I jus got mine a few days ago. :)
haha you got some sharp eyes. Nobody notices but these little things make up a difference when added up :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
most of your noise will be coming the tires within the wheel wells, and noise entering from the cabin pressure release flaps.

if you want to really reduce the sound - start by spraying your wheel well splash guards. hit them with a bed liner style coating. the rest of the noise is wind hitting the windshield, grille, side view mirrors, and outside noise coming in from the pressure release flaps behind the rear bumper. door jamb weather stripping is really only to keep water out.
That's a good idea. Maybe I should look into undercoating and see how much it improves.

·
Registered
36 Posts
eccen: THANK YOU for trying out new stuff, testing, documenting and most importantly, reporting back to us ... so that we can make informed decisions on our own vehicles.

:banana:

·
2,258 Posts
eccen: THANK YOU for trying out new stuff, testing, documenting and most importantly, reporting back to us ... so that we can make informed decisions on our own vehicles.

:banana:
great post.

while we make joke and or down play a certain mod, we cant take away from your effort. its folks like you that make this forum a great place for everyone. lots of credit goes out to those like eccen, luck11, and anyone else who takes the time to add, versus only take.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts