Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my car about a week.. and it didn't come with floormats so I ordered at set only for only 32$ an while I was there saw they had the AEM intake and DC Strut bar. Didnt want to waste 250$ on an intake so I got the strut bar for 115$ Installed it today, took it for a quick ride and no difference at all. Kinda disappointing. But I also just realized the accent has no rear sway bar?? None of the models?? Does anyone make one? That should make a difference.

·
Registered
651 Posts
if you feel no difference at all, there's a problem. Do this:

1. Take it back off

2. Find a nice highway on-ramp where you can get off the highway and then get right back on.

3. Go around the clover-leaf a few times and see how fast you can go. Remember this speed.

4. Go back home and put the bar on, make sure it's nice and tight.

5. Repeat steps 2 and 3.

6. Drive home, and re-post.

·
1,565 Posts
QUOTE (isaac1909 @ Jun 7 2010, 10:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330793
if you feel no difference at all, there's a problem. Do this:

1. Take it back off

2. Find a nice highway on-ramp where you can get off the highway and then get right back on.

3. Go around the clover-leaf a few times and see how fast you can go. Remember this speed.

4. Go back home and put the bar on, make sure it's nice and tight.

5. Repeat steps 2 and 3.

6. Drive home, and re-post.
+1
If you didn't notice anything, you didn't make any turns. The difference should be pretty obvious.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
to clarify about the rear sway bar...

kfx sells something called a "sway bar" for the rear, but it only bolts to the rear beam, does not tie to the frame of the car at all.

So its going to do even less than the front strut brace.

if you really want a huge handling difference (at the expense of a little more tire wear), get some camber bolts and get a custom front end alignment. you can either order them online or many shops that can do a custom alignment will have them as well.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I see that you have the SE suspension... That might be why you don't notice the difference so much. With my normal suspension I noticed a huge difference and will never take that brace back off.

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (isaac1909 @ Jun 19 2010, 05:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334505
I see that you have the SE suspension... That might be why you don't notice the difference so much. With my normal suspension I noticed a huge difference and will never take that brace back off.
No strut bar should ever make a "huge" difference. If it did, there is something very very wrong with your chassis.

·
Registered
651 Posts
QUOTE (fonque @ Jun 20 2010, 11:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334817
No strut bar should ever make a "huge" difference. If it did, there is something very very wrong with your chassis.

not retracting my statement. it was a very noticeable reduction in body roll. about 15 mph more on highway ramp speeds and when you jiggle the steering wheel the whole car doesn't rock back and forth.

stop being that guy

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (isaac1909 @ Jun 22 2010, 12:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335124
not retracting my statement. it was a very noticeable reduction in body roll. about 15 mph more on highway ramp speeds and when you jiggle the steering wheel the whole car doesn't rock back and forth.

stop being that guy
Strut bars do nothing for body roll. Comments like the one I just quoted are why I am always "that guy".

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can notice a total different and mine is a custom bar, you feel WAY less body roll. You can take turns a lot harder with out having to worry about the back end lifting up. Before if you did a really hard lane change, you would kinda feel the back end lag behind, now with it i feel that its rock solid.

·
Registered
28 Posts
QUOTE (fonque @ Jun 22 2010, 12:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335245
Strut bars do nothing for body roll. Comments like the one I just quoted are why I am always "that guy".

Not exactly, per se. But they help with torsional chassis flex in the front end which a lot of normal drivers would mentally perceive as body roll. An important thing to all those who install a front strut bar. You will reach the limits of your tires grip much faster because the vehicles flex won't take up the slop. But most of you probably aren't taking cloverleafs at 70+ mph... at least I hope not :laughing:

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (ahkenaden @ Jun 24 2010, 04:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335916
Not exactly, per se. But they help with torsional chassis flex in the front end which a lot of normal drivers would mentally perceive as body roll. An important thing to all those who install a front strut bar. You will reach the limits of your tires grip much faster because the vehicles flex won't take up the slop. But most of you probably aren't taking cloverleafs at 70+ mph... at least I hope not :laughing:
torsional chassis flex is something that plagues muscle car guys and all years of fox bodies. The twisting of the chassis, be it unibody subframe or body on chassis, was caused by the rediculous amounts of torque from RWD detroit muscle. This not an issue with front wheel drive econoboxes. It not induced from corning forces. While your point makes sense, it does not apply to our cars.

True story: I have a family friend on my in laws side that had a fox body mustang, that put down so much torque on slicks, his doors would not close properly after a run down the drag strip. The launch was so violent that it would twist the chassis completely out of alignment. Chassis flex is baaaad on 80s mustangs.

And while I have not installed one on my accent, this is based on past experience. I have installed them on mark III supras, countless integras, a 69 z28 camaro, b13 sentra se-rs, NX2000's, b-body caprices. etc....

I know this is turning into a pissing match, but I stand by my previous statement, they should not make "huge" changes in your car's handling. The principles behind how they work, and what they do just do not support claims like that.

I will tell you that they do help to stiffen the front end, as one part of several measures for chassis bracing. They also help to lengthen the life of factory seam welds on track cars. I have seen on street/strip/track sentras, at about the 10 year mark the seam welds start to crack, split, and fail. With 3 point strut tower bars I have not seen this happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (Meakame @ Jun 22 2010, 08:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335376
I can notice a total different and mine is a custom bar, you feel WAY less body roll. You can take turns a lot harder with out having to worry about the back end lifting up. Before if you did a really hard lane change, you would kinda feel the back end lag behind, now with it i feel that its rock solid.
how much HP does it gain?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts