Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m first time Hyundai owner. Got my 2018 SEL in October. All was good at first but within two weeks started feeling the engine becoming quite sputtery during times of accelerating and braking and my gas mileage had been going down, then finally my check engine light came on. Took the car into the dealership, they said it was a code in the computer causing the engine to misfire and that they had corrected it. Car felt pretty good after that but now my gas mileage has been going down again and still feeling the engine is jumpy during acceleration and decleration. Check engine light however has not come back on. Is this something worth taking the car back to the dealership or no? Anyone else have any similar issues with 2018 Elantras?

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I would just take it back and tell them that the problem persists, honestly. Without a new CEL, it is hard to tell what it could be. However, the dealership will be able to pull any stored codes that the computer might have, even if the CEL wasn't on.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Always the possibility of getting water in the gas, with a fuel pump pressure tester, bypass the fuel pump relay contacts and pump it out into a clean container.

Sure do a poor job of gaping the spark plugs, mine were all over the place, gaped all four at 0.025 inches. Good to load those boots with dielectric grease, if you don't, will never get them off. Two major causes of a misfire, and will trigger the CEL.

Against the wishes of this board, installed four Autolite XP5702's, very happy with the, my baby only gets top tier ethanol free gas, do not believe in junk gas for her nor junk food for me.

Old fashion ignition point systems with a resonating capacitor developed a millisecond long pulse train for the plugs, this new crap, only get one pulse barely a microsecond long so really need good plugs and a small gap. and they have to be clean.

Misfires are very bad on a catalytic converter, been this way since 1972, its an after the fact type of emission control device, also the law.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Go to autozone and have them pull the codes from your computer, much faster than dealer. If there is a PENDING code, they will tell you. A pending code doesn't light up the check engine light (CEL) until the car is really sure it is a problem. Don't let the Autozone guys clear it. You can then call the dealer and tell them that Autozone pulled bla bla bla code and ask if it was the same as what they found when they had it. At least you will know what the car is doing. Sorry for your bad first impression!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts