Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that it is becoming colder out (40's in the morning 50's in afternoon) I have been experiencing signs that an inner joint on one of my axles is going bad. When driving while the vehicle is still cold, and even when it is just warmed up, I have bad vibrations while accelerating. I've ruled out other things and even had the car in the air and had it checked out at a stealership but of course they couldn't reproduce any of the vibrations. It was warm out the day of the appointment.

Basically I am wondering if there are any TSB's or anything dealing with this a little better? I have looked online and I couldn't find much info about the different TSB's out. Not looking for a free ride to get a new set of axles, but with having a 2010, I wouldn't mind Hyundai helping out pay for this!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
2 things... vibration under load (when accell) and stops when unloaded (foot lifted from accell pedal) is good sign of axle or inner joint concern..

Now, to toss a wrench in the works, I went around with one that turned out to be the left inner joint was not fully seated into the drive unit.. the snap ring was not up to snuff for holding the inner joint into place, and would come out approx 10-12mm..

Found it kinda by accident, as you cant see up in there very well, so I thought it was in place untill looked at a few more times at different angle that I noticed the air gap between joint and trans case seemed a bit wide.

FSE told me to replace the ring on the stub first, (cost Hyundai less money that way in warranty cost),, if axle stayed in place,, ship it. IF axle still pop out, then replace axle because I would be able to document that snap ring would not retain axle proper, thus I could justify the $500 axle replacement (Hyundai get mad when we replace axles).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had seen something about the left axle snap ring failing while searching for TSB's and causes. I might call the service shop and ask for a quote on replacing that. I asked for a quote for replacing both axles (front) the other day and they gave me $775. I **** near died laughing. I found it is 2.6 hours of labor, how much are the axles from Hyundai?!?!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hyundai only sell new in box factory part.. they is $500+ per axle I think.. I "could" look it up Monday..

$775,,, sound like they trying to get discount aftermarket axles from a local parts store (Auto Zone, Carquest, Napa and so forth).. typical average cost cheap axle is $150-250 depending on actual application.

I did some scamming on line, I come up with $360 to 430 per axle new in Hyundai box.. check dealer for their actual retail over the counter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well thank you for the information on that! I found axles from autozone for around $100 a piece, but i know that a dealer will still upcharge even if they got them from there. So that would make sense actually for the $775 pricing. I'll have to call monday about them checking out and/or replacing the snap ring.

Thanks SBR711

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SBR711, You were correct good sir. Took it in today because it has gotten pretty chilly out and it has been vibrating more then usual, they got it up on the lift and took a look closely at what you said and they saw it on the passenger front axle. apparently it was sticking out and they were able to physically move it by hand. so gotta say, thank you once again!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Very good.. if you feel like leaving comment, hit the "REP" box below my post count there to left and leave comment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts