Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed I was travelling alot slower than other road users. My google maps showed I was travelleing 10% slower than what my speedo was reading.
I booked my car in with hyundai, they recorded when travelling at 30mph my speedo reads 35, and travelling at 50 my speedo reads 58. They have said there is nothing they can do, as this is within allowed parameters.
Has anybody else has this issue as I don't think this is acceptable?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,923 Posts
Everybody has this "issue". Speedometers in cars are specifically designed to display a speed that is faster than the car is actually travelling. There is some EU regulation that says the speedo is allowed to display 10% over + 10km/h (6MPH), so for a car travelling at 30MPH the speedo is allowed to show up to 39MPH and travelling at 50 the speedo is allowed to show upto 61MPH. You might not think it's acceptable but some bureaucrat in Brussels says it is so you just have to live with it...for now, anyway. Maybe Boris will sort it when he Gets Brexit Done ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
There is an allowance, but I've noticed when I pass those flashing speed signs in built up areas it seems quite accurate at 30mph. I've observed every speed limit since getting done in Yorkshire at 42mph in1998.. I couldn't understand it because I was going slowly in that place looking for somewhere to stop for tea. I paid up and later saw a tv programme where a poorly calbrated police camera recored 42 mph pointed at a brick wall. I wish everybody would just follow the rules. A few days ago a woman tailgated me at 30mph. When I got to no speed limit sign on dual carriageway I accelearated and watched her swing out overtake and nearly took out a bloke overtaking her.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Everybody has this "issue". Speedometers in cars are specifically designed to display a speed that is faster than the car is actually travelling. There is some EU regulation that says the speedo is allowed to display 10% over + 10km/h (6MPH), so for a car travelling at 30MPH the speedo is allowed to show up to 39MPH and travelling at 50 the speedo is allowed to show upto 61MPH. You might not think it's acceptable but some bureaucrat in Brussels says it is so you just have to live with it...for now, anyway. Maybe Boris will sort it when he Gets Brexit Done ?
I'm calling bullshit on this observation right now.

I've often passed by speed cameras that give the exact speed my car is travelling. If it was going slower than the speedometer said I would have noticed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If this isn't Hogwash, then it should be.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
It's not hogwash or bs. All vehicles are made to comply with certain design rules. The allowance for a speedo accuracy is up to this 10%+4 km/h. Can reiterate allowance up to. That doesn't mean that manufacturers are that far out but I would say they may read silghtly fast but not up to the maximum allowed. Your over reacting.

This is an extract fro the Australian design rule ADR18 which is adopted from the EU standard I posted.

The speed indicated shall not be less than the true speed of the vehicle. At the test speeds specified in paragraph 5.2.5. above, there shall be the following relationship between the speed displayed (V1 ) and the true speed (V2). 0 ≤ (V1 - V2) ≤ 0.1 V2 + 4 km/h

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use Waze, which shows a calculated GPS, MPH..

After installing a size larger tire then OEM (205/75R15, over a 205/65R15 (I think?)).. It matches pretty close. This is a 2005 Sonata btw..

Tire rack shows a rotation per mile rate for every tire they sell. I've often found the differences pretty astonishing. ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I'm aware the law states that it can be legally out by 10% plus 2mph, which is 30 can read 35, 50-57 and 70-79.
Hyundai have confirmed that mine is the maximum of this threshold (1mph over that at 50)
Does anyone know if I can have it recalibrated as Hyundai have pretty much told me to deal with it.
I just feel like ridiculous travelling 52 on a 60mph dual carriageway and understand other people's annoyance and why they undertake me if I have to get in the outside lane for a roundabout. Even if legal, I don't think it's safe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I doubt anyone would want to pay the cost calibrating their speedo. Remember it's about percentage. As you go faster the reading will be farther off. You might judge by speed traps but I doubt they are calibrated too. I tend to drive with the flow of traffic or you can drive by a GPS that is far more accurate for military requirements

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed I was travelling alot slower than other road users. My google maps showed I was travelleing 10% slower than what my speedo was reading.
I booked my car in with hyundai, they recorded when travelling at 30mph my speedo reads 35, and travelling at 50 my speedo reads 58. They have said there is nothing they can do, as this is within allowed parameters.
The sad thing is that the odometer is accumulating an erroneous amount of miles, therefore making your car appear to have more mileage on it than it does. What ever the percentage of error in speed will be reflected as the same overage in miles traveled. This reduces the value of the car.

·
Registered
351 Posts
A neighbour of mine thirty years ago was a police motorway patrol driver and he always in conversation mentioned 10% error in speedometers.The more or less accepted rule is 10% plus 2mph before you are likely to get pulled. That is 35mph in a 30 zone and 79mph on a motorway. He told me he used to drive his own car at 75 on the motorway.
No matter how carefully I drive there is always a time when something distracts you and you drift over the limit. If there is a slightly higher reading than actual I see that as a bit of reassurance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've often passed by speed cameras that give the exact speed my car is travelling. If it was going slower than the speedometer said I would have noticed.
Neither is necessarily true since there is no legal requirement for such speed displays signs to be 100% accurate (indeed, it makes sense for them to be calibrated to work with the same "allowance" as most cars do and not show the actual speed measured). And even if the speed displays you passed were accurate, it would only indicate that your car's speedometer is almost accurate. So the best your observations show is that the speed displays you came across used roughly the same tolerance as your car(s) do(es).

On the other hand, every single car I have received speeding tickets with by german police in the last 19 years (this includes among others about ten different Smart cars of all three generations, a 6th generation Golf and a 2nd generation Mini Cooper) stated a measured speed of between 4 and 10 Km/h lower than what the speedometer showed at the time. Btw: german speeding tickets state both the actual measured speed and the slightly lower, "adjusted" speed used to calculate the fine (about 1-3% less depending on speed, meant to allow for "measurement tolerance").

My 2010 Mini Cooper LCI (and probably most BMW cars of the last decade at least) has a hidden menu which allows one not only to see the actual speed while driving (which is also output via OBD2), but also to set the difference between actual and indicated speed. Default setting in mine is: 9 Km/h when actual speed is 50 km/h.

Finally, my GPS phones have also confirmed the difference in actual and indicated speed for certain speeds I frequently travel at.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Putting it simply guys, they err on the safe side. They would be in all sorts of trouble if the instrument read low in any legal case, and there are variables such as tyre size and even pressure, even temperature to consider, so they leave an allowance large enough for any of the variables to appear in any combination and still not be telling you you are legal when you are not.
Everything has a tolerance. Some tines it is used as X +_ a %, or as in the case here a% below what the variable is being displayed.

I am also 100% sure it is not only Hyundai that do it they all do. Look how many cars are not driving around on the tyre type that it left the factory on.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
The design rules say they cannot accept a car where the speedo reads slower than actual so yes they all err on the safer side. Our police radar's are set to actual plus 10% plus 1km which really gives you a huge margin if your driving too the speedo. My question is the odometer also reading 10% error that being the case the warranty distance should be the stated warranty plus 10%.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The design rules say they cannot accept a car where the speedo reads slower than actual so yes they all err on the safer side. Our police radar's are set to actual plus 10% plus 1km which really gives you a huge margin if your driving too the speedo. My question is the odometer also reading 10% error that being the case the warranty distance should be the stated warranty plus 10%.
Valid point, but what is the actual distance going to be (assuming it is not on time). a couple of thousand miles? say 2500?
I assume Hyundai would come to some sort of agreement in this (not sure of some others though) and as servicing is also on mileage, would anything major not show up 'before the clock turns'?

Well worth keeping in mind though

1 - 20 of 28 Posts