Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it's just me or not. I have had the injen sri installed for about 2 months now and I have had the diy bov mod (removed hose and capped off intake) as well. I recently reinstalled the hose and feel as if the car has more power. I have read other threads about this topic and it seems that most people do not see a performance difference with or without the hose. What do you guys/gals think? Also a note is that I use premium gas and don't mix.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wonder about that as well. About 2 weeks ago I did the same mod as you. Pulled the hose,. Capped the intake and popped on a small filter. I was thinking why dump that hot compressed air back into the intake but maybe it's compressed air that's already gone through the IC. I dunno. I don't think it really adds or takes away any additional power.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We have Speed Density or MAPS and NOT Mass Airflow or MAF. On platforms with MAF, the dump valve routes the pressure back into the intake system AFTER the MAF sensor....So the computer has already accounted for the extra air and expects it to be there.

On our cars, the PCM monitors the speed, temp, pressure of the air before/after the throttle plate. It uses these two sensors to calculate the speed/density of the air entering the engine. But the dump valve is well before the first sensor so the computer will see whatever you add/take away and calculate the amount of fuel correctly no matter IF you vent to intake tube or vent the air to the atmosphere from the "DV or diverter valve (commonly called BOV or blow off valve)

No, it does not go through the IC at all when it re-enters the intake through the dump tube. The turbo passes the air through the upper charge pipe which has the DV installed on it. Then enters the top of the vertically mounted IC and it exits at the bottom of your bumper and bends up into the throttle body/plastic intake manifold where the air is metered before and after the throttle plate with those two sensors you see wired up.

Only way it would cause a performance loss is if the intake element itself couldn't flow enough air. Since there is no record of the Injen actually improving power over the stock box, I doubt the dump tube matters at all if ON or OFF.

So it's just a noise mod, basically.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have Speed Density or MAPS and NOT Mass Airflow or MAF. On platforms with MAF, the dump valve routes the pressure back into the intake system AFTER the MAF sensor....So the computer has already accounted for the extra air and expects it to be there.

On our cars, the PCM monitors the speed, temp, pressure of the air before/after the throttle plate. It uses these two sensors to calculate the speed/density of the air entering the engine. But the dump valve is well before the first sensor so the computer will see whatever you add/take away and calculate the amount of fuel correctly no matter IF you vent to intake tube or vent the air to the atmosphere from the "DV or diverter valve (commonly called BOV or blow off valve)

No, it does not go through the IC at all when it re-enters the intake through the dump tube. The turbo passes the air through the upper charge pipe which has the DV installed on it. Then enters the top of the vertically mounted IC and it exits at the bottom of your bumper and bends up into the throttle body/plastic intake manifold where the air is metered before and after the throttle plate with those two sensors you see wired up.

Only way it would cause a performance loss is if the intake element itself couldn't flow enough air. Since there is no record of the Injen actually improving power over the stock box, I doubt the dump tube matters at all if ON or OFF.

So it's just a noise mod, basically.
Thanks for the reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts