Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just finished installing the 1360p injen cold air intake on my 2012 Hyundai elantra GLS.... Phew that was tiring! Took me about 3-4 hours with some frustrations and some tricky bolts that would not come loose. It was about 75-80 degrees F, so I took a couple of 30 minute water breaks, where I would ponder how to proceed. Thankfully, I was able to complete the install successfully, only broke one piece from the OEM stock airbox. It is probably 10x more difficult to switch back to oem air box in the future. Thankfully listening to white13gt, I operated through the front wheel well, and ended up removing some of the plastic coverings underneath the car.

It definitely growls harder now once you start reving past 4000 rpms, but is quiet if you shift before 2500 rpms. I have only driven this car less than 1 mile today, have noticed more throttle, which makes me THINK i am driving faster, but probably not. I will update the power/mpg gains/loss as I drive throughout the week. I definitely needs a wash & engine wash this week.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I installed this and actually get more mpg in ECO mode. Not getting as much mpg as I'd like in regular mode, but thats probably due to my driving & where I live with too much stop and go traffic. HP/Torque increase can probably be felt driving >4000rpms. I haven't reved up too much, too many cops around. Although, At first I thought the CAI was annoying and loud, but now I am quite used to it. ECO mode really trims down the engine noise & can barely be heard. I never drove in ECO mode with the stock intake with K&N, it was too slow. But now, I feel the car breathes better with the INJEN CAI. Oh yeah, and this CAI with hydroshield handled like a boss in the heavy rain, just don't run over puddles too fast, then you'll have no worries about hydrolocking. Overall, I'm pretty happy. It definitely looks better. The only thing was that it was a pain in the a$$ to take out the stock intake, and possibility a bigger pain to put it back. I encourage any "intake" enthusiast to proceed with this modification.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cone sits under the left headlight. There is an open space after you take out the stock intake resonator system. It is far away from the ground where you can suck up water. Besides with the water resistant shield from injen, it is pretty much unstoppable in the rain. But I live in California, about 2-3 inches of rain.

·
Registered
53 Posts
can you take a picture of the settling point please, I want to see the difference in settling point between CAI and Short ram and if its worth the money. thanx

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Observe these photos... Credits to white13gt.. And although this is the hatchback setup and not the sedan, the idea is still the same and the parts are exactly the same... Cone filter sits about 1.5 ft above the bottom of the bumper and immediately underneath the headlight.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I was debating a CAI package as well but there aren't any 'legit' packages out there that are CARB exempt for the 2013's yet (AZ has adopted the California emissions standards). Plus I think it's more of an aesthetic mod than something that has a tangible return (at least for these small 4 bangers, I believe you can actually see gains with V8's that really can move some air and sometimes do have restricted air for detune purposes). The little airbox and air delivery system on the Elantra seems to be well designed and also seems to have no problem delivering sufficient amounts of air to the little 1.8L engine. I've seen plenty of info from the CAI manufacturers touting the HP/torque gains (of course there would be gains, how else would you sell $100 and up packages?). Almost universally the big gains are in the V8's and larger displacement V6's - for the smaller engines it's mostly just for looks and the sound.

Anyway I'm still on the fence anyway - there's just as many impartial tests showing very little change using these CAI's over stock airboxes. Regardless I'm not going to put anything on the car that's not officially CARB exempt, though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
thanks for the pics, I actually like it and think its justifiable for the car as it does sit lower. so I thnk I may jump on one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
With injen I believe it's two separate, connected tubes. With aem it's one long tube. I went with injen because it was cheaper and came with a free hydro shield.

While It's not carb legal, I think I would have no issues with smog if you live close to LA area. If one place won't pass it, 10 more will. I wouldn't worry about it too much because I have 5 years with the car before that happens. I can always switch back to the old air box if necessary.

There are gains in torque at high rpm and forced induction, don't know how significant they are. Mpg is the same or better if you do not drive heavy on the gas. Overall, I'm pretty happy... Next mod is dual exhaust vs new wheels and tires...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts