Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of a Phantom Black Metallic w/camel leather interior Limited on the 5th. No Nav or back up camera. The options included were sunroof air deflector, iPod cable, wheel locks, mud flaps, cargo mat, and carpet floor mats.

I moved from a '99 Forester L which has been fantastic throughout the time of ownership but now that I'm retired I really don't need the AWD. No trade; one of my sons now has the Subie :) The huge Sonata trunk makes up for the loss of cargo area. This area gets a tad less than 30 inches of snow per year too so FWD is doable. I also have a 2003 Honda S2000 that I refer to as my "retirement sled" that I use for summer road trips. No RV for me :)

Anyhow, the normal super positive comments apply to the engine performance and amenities. There have been a few nits thusfar:
-- my 6 or 7 year old garage door opener will NOT sync with Homelink. I've tried all the suggested methods. No switch on the opener motor unit in the garage either. I might have to get back on a ladder and open things up to look at the dip switch settings to see if there might still be a way....
ADDENDUM: got it working
-- my 3 year old LG AX8600 will not upload its phonebook entries to the Sonata. And when attempting to enter individual entries vocally, the Sonata exits after 3 or 4 numerals spoken. Quite frustrating. I'm hoping this issue clears up. That said those that I've talked to by dialing from my cellphone have remarked on how great the sound is.
-- iPod cable with its USB/stereo mini jack is a non-starter for my 16Gb Nano. It simply does not work. Ironically the Apple iPod cable with a USB port works just fine. Go figure :(
ADDENDUM: Will be attempting to return the cable to the dealer
-- I did scope winter tires and found it interesting that Hyundai foot stomps staying with the OEM 215/55/R17 tire size while standard practice would be to go to a thinner tire one size diameter smaller (e.g. 16" down from 17). Of course doing so involves getting a complete set of TPMS which alone will run in the neighborhood of $380 plus installation. Tends to get very pricey if one is looking at running sets of both summer and winter tires. That said one could always mount and unmount and have the dealer reset the pressure monitors. Either way a pain. This is my first experience with a car with TPMS and I'm beginning to wonder if it is nothing but an expensive solution looking for a problem.
-- The setup "system" can be a tad frustrating. My salesman, who has a 2011 SE, and I spent more time than you'd believe getting the HD option set to ON. It simply isn't very intuitive. I suppose with more usage.......

Anyhow those are minor in the grand scope of things. I'm also getting teased by friends and neighbors about having acquired a "luxury" car in my old age. Guess that speaks volumes about how folks perceive the Sonata in general, and the nicely appointed Limited specifically :)

PS Oh I've got a newbie request. The owners manual (pg 5-10) isn't clear at all on this and the "illustration" is all but useless. I was looking to find where the backup key ignition/start location is in case the wireless smart key battery fails. In the lower center console area there seems to be some kind of cigarette pack sized recess in the forward area. But I don't feel any slot for the key to go into. Can someone give me a hint here? And yes I feel rather stupid having to ask but....
ADDENDUM: Got straightened out below. Thanks to Bingo Steve!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Glad you're enjoying your new vehicle, best of luck with it. The slot in the lower center console is located in the forward area and the whole remote slides in there not just the little key that stores inside the remote unit.

I would say that a five year old garage door opener would likely have rolling codes and there should be a learn switch located on the drive unit somewhere. Maybe look on line for your brand of opener for instruction manuals or others with similar issues? Good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the sanity check on the remote. You're right. I was thinking key only and not the whole unit.

As for the garage door opener.... yup, my quest continues :)
Addendum: confirmed it is a rolling code unit and where the learning switch is hidden.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Success! But I needed my youngest son's help as climbing a ladder to access the learning switch and then scrambling down and back to the car to press the Homelink switch within 30 seconds is a bit more of a challenge than this sexagenarian needs. He stayed on the ladder and I stayed in the car. Works fine now. Thanks :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
LOL about the HD setting...I struggled with that for a few days..even started a post here that got no responses because most people dont use the HD Radio...but I like it...
But seriously the directions to set it were crazy but now I can do it easliy.
My phone paired OK but I had to voice-enter my contacts. It was really easy - I LOVE the bluetooth feature.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Patty,

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. Only one station here that broadcasts in HD but since the head unit had the capability, I figured it should be switched on :) I'm gonna give the bluetooth verbal entry deal a try agan this weekend.

Buffalo eh? I hail from Onondaga County (Syracuse) originally :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
QUOTE (Bald1 @ Aug 6 2010, 11:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347729
Patty,

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. Only one station here that broadcasts in HD but since the head unit had the capability, I figured it should be switched on :) I'm gonna give the bluetooth verbal entry deal a try agan this weekend.

Buffalo eh? I hail from Onondaga County (Syracuse) originally :)
Hey Bob,
I bet in the winters you are glad to be out of the "Lake Effect" capital!!
Yes add your entries by voice - its really easy and once its done its done..
Press Voice >> Say Phonebook >>> Add Entry >>> You will record the persons name and it asks if its home/mobile/etc..
Then once you are done, when you go to call someone it will ask you "by number or by name"..
Good Luck....I hope you love your car as much as I love mine :thumbsup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Patty,

You're correct.... no lake effect here :) But we do get winds much stronger than the norm in upstate and western NY.

Haven't got to trying the phonebook drill yet. Instead, inspired by threads and pictures here, I de-badged the rear of the car removing the Sonata and Limited badges. Much, much cleaner look. I doubt I would have done this had the car not been black. Then I used the Klasse "twins" to seal and prep the surface and completed the job with P21S caranuba wax. The interior got a treatment of Lexol conditioner on the leather and Aerospace 303 on the vinyl surfaces. Good to go!

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...mp;#entry347986
See post #51 for some pix (before detailing and also of the S2000)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Bob. Ironically I'm also a "Bob A." too! LOL

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Patty,

BINGO! Got the voice add entry to phonebook routine working. Didn't like the fact that bluetooth disconnects after you complete each entry though. Regardless, I've got my key entries input now. Again thanks for the words of encouragement!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Aug 11 2010, 02:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348724
Congratulation on the new ride and hope it serves you well.
Thanks! I see you have a black model as well. I'm in my early 60s and have only owned one black car before in all those years They look great but seem to require a bit more care to keep them sharp.

·
Registered
201 Posts
QUOTE (Bald1 @ Aug 11 2010, 11:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348659
Patty,

BINGO! Got the voice add entry to phonebook routine working. Didn't like the fact that bluetooth disconnects after you complete each entry though. Regardless, I've got my key entries input now. Again thanks for the words of encouragement!
YAY - glad its working! Hope you are enjoying the ride..loved your pictures :thumbsup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (PattyNY811 @ Aug 12 2010, 06:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349037
YAY - glad its working! Hope you are enjoying the ride..loved your pictures :thumbsup:
Thanks on both counts. Haven't been doing much driving as this is Sturgis Rally week. They projected 800k bikers in the area. As an aside Sturgis is a town of only 6500 folks :) It's beautiful here which is one of the draws for the bikers.... great roads to tour. Plus this is a huge tourist area anyhow with Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands, Devil's Tower, and much much more.

Oh.... finally found out what the story is with that iPod cable. Found a reference in the manual which says its good only for up to 4th Generation Nanos. My son gave me a 16Gb 5th Generation model. LOL Go figure.

·
Registered
201 Posts
QUOTE (Bald1 @ Aug 12 2010, 10:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349066
Thanks on both counts. Haven't been doing much driving as this is Sturgis Rally week. They projected 800k bikers in the area. As an aside Sturgis is a town of only 6500 folks :) It's beautiful here which is one of the draws for the bikers.... great roads to tour. Plus this is a huge tourist area anyhow with Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands, Devil's Tower, and much much more.

Oh.... finally found out what the story is with that iPod cable. Found a reference in the manual which says its good only for up to 4th Generation Nanos. My son gave me a 16Gb 5th Generation model. LOL Go figure.
Ohhhh I have seen the Travel Channels specials on the Sturgis Rally - looks like a wild time!!!!
Enjoy....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts